It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists calculations pose new questions about the existence of Dark Matter.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
If not dark matter, then what?

Astronomers mapped the motions of hundreds of stars in the Milky Way in order to deduce the amount of dark matter that must be tugging on them from the vicinity of our sun. Their surprising conclusion? There's no dark matter around here.

As the researchers write in a forthcoming paper in the Astrophysical Journal, the stellar motion implies that the stars, all within 13,000 light-years of Earth, are gravitationally attracted by the visible material in our solar system — the sun, planets and surrounding gas and dust — and not by any unseen matter.

Perhaps we need more research elsewhere, while keeping on track. There is still nothing to say that dark matter doesn't exist. It is merely theoretical at this point regardless. I am not quite sure what else there could be to explain this which happens around us, but as theories go; some are right and some are wrong. Can't wait to see where this goes. I need to know everything about everything.

As I understand it, we need dark matter to make up for the extra gravity in the universe. Perhaps dark matter exerts a different type of force than gravity.
edit on 20-4-2012 by ventian because: IDK

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ventian

Wow! Smashing. Thanks for the thread, S&F. I needed to know this.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Perhaps there is no dark matter, i never thought there was at least
edit on 20-4-2012 by wlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Seems we posted a simular thread!

But hey.........What does that "Matter"?

Ahem...........

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Yeah, they decided to create dark matter so we would stay interested and fund their research.
I don't know if there is or isn't dark matter, but it really doesn't matter anyway. How much taxpayer money has been spent on dark matter research is the only question I ask. Have they produced one usable product out of this research yet? I see they are creating good paying jobs with little payback. If they do find something they will sell it to a corporation and we will have to pay for products utilizing it. Corporations wouldn't pay for research of dark matter or space research unless their contributions were 100 percent tax deductible. I think the corporations money should be paid in taxes to help with roads, bridges, and the elderly. Same with campaign contributions, wouldn't that money more wisely be used to pay our national debt? Crooked country, can't most people see this

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ventian

Okay, then my question is if there is no such thing as Dark Matter.. what's compelling the expansion of the universe? Secondly, Einstein's theory of relativity says that black holes exist, however, we are not physically able to see them so we're not 100% sure they really exist yet we can say Dark Matter doesn't. Just when I think we start to understand and take a step forward, after that we end up taking two steps back.
edit on 20-4-2012 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
it wont be long now till the "fundamental flaw" will be revealed.

you know...that moment in a math exam when you're at the end of a long and tedious problem only to discover that you wrote a minus instead of a plus.

the renewal of our economy will come from the reauthoring and printing of the textbooks from the last century.

how embarrassing.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

Bravo 31Bravo (pun intended).

That seems to be the question indeed. I myself have a theory on this but I am just now replacing all the research I do on conspiracies with quantum mechanics. In other words, I ain't got a dang clue lol. I hope to eventually find out what is causing this expansion. Perhaps the universe is merely splitting like a mitochondria or sumthin. Heck I don't know. I ain't real bright, but I am gonna try and find out.

CaptainBeno, sorry if I did that. I didn't realize in my excitement of finding this out. Btw, awesome avi.

edit on 20-4-2012 by ventian because:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

I don't find it embarrassing. I have been around long enough to know that men simply make mistakes. We aren't perfect, but we often stride to be. Progression is merely remembering the mistakes you made and correcting them. This proves to be the hardest part for most.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ventian

Weird to come across this. I was just watching a show about dark matter tonight and wondered "What if there is no dark matter, but the expansion of the universe is due to some MASSIVE object or objects too far away to see or detect." Not a scientist so this idea may be ludicrous. Would love to hear people's thoughts though.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ventian

Ha! Thanks! Yeah no worries buddy............no biggie at all
Glad we're on the wavelength

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Expansion of the Universe, crystals grow like leafs do, the stars do look like mineral combinations
could be a sheet of crystal or something.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian

As I understand it, we need dark matter to make up for the extra gravity in the universe. Perhaps dark matter exerts a different type of force than gravity.

Well to me it either exists or they have the math seriously wrong when they say that 96% of matter is missing that has to exist for gallaxies to behave as they do.

96% is a massive number.

Interesting indeed to see where this goes.

Originally posted by 31Bravo
Einstein's theory of relativity says that black holes exist, however, we are not physically able to see them so we're not 100% sure they really exist yet we can say Dark Matter doesn't. Just when I think we start to understand and take a step forward, after that we end up taking two steps back.

There are other ways to see a black hole,the super heated matter swirling inward makes it visable which is usually seen in the centre of gallaxies or from the plasma jets that spew from them for light years out or if there isn`t sufficient matter for that to happen: if and when a black hole passes between us and a distant heavy body the light from that heavy body will increase until it fully passes.

So just because they cannot see blackness does not mean it can`t be detected and analyzed.
edit on 21-4-2012 by gps777 because: quote tags

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Weird to come across this. I was just watching a show about dark matter tonight and wondered "What if there is no dark matter, but the expansion of the universe is due to some MASSIVE object or objects too far away to see or detect." Not a scientist so this idea may be ludicrous. Would love to hear people's thoughts though.

There is a particular section of our universe of millions of gallaxies that is being pulled in one direction out at massive speeds,toward what I wonder? another universe perhaps? they call it the Great Atrtactor.

I`ve got something about it on DVD but here is a little bit about it...www.ponderabout.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Whats the ATS view on Nassim Haramein? I happen to think his theories on this stuff are very interesting - as good as Einstein and possibly as good as Tesla's. Especially the calculations aspects that sort of demonstrate "life is bout a dream". Just in case I just rented "Alison In Wonderland".. I haven't seen it since my daughter was little. Anyway, here's Nassim's video (4 hours long).

And his web site is: The Resonance Project... org

PS: search reveals a very old thread with a few recent posts. But I like his style, courage to publish his own work and let the public be his peers. I have enough nuc physics background to be impressed by him - hmmmmm - anyone got more than me with better criticism than that? I've not seen anyone offer up anything. Instead the mainstream science is full of it with "big bang theories".

Oh and regardless of Nassim's POV, I also have blogged and put my own theory out there that "Black Holes PROVE Faster Than Light travel exists". Like for gravity to capture photons it MUST be faster. The publicly available gravity wave measurements so far seem incapable of measuring anything - due to their bias (either too High or too low freq's).

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Expansion of the universe has nothing to do with dark matter, but with dark energy.

As for dark matter, it is not the result of some long calculation, it is the result of observation. We observe stuff that we can not explain when only the visible matter is taken into account. This can mean our theory is wrong, or there is something creating gravity that we can not see.

What has happened here is that our theory does work when we apply it to nearby stars. This very strongly suggests that our theory is correct. So to explain those other observations, there must be something we can not see, which we call dark matter.

The question why there is no dark matter nearby is a different question as the question if there is dark matter at all.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by -PLB-

The question why there is no dark matter nearby is a different question as the question if there is dark matter at all.

I thought it was the whole point in trying to capture neutrinos (as they are) was to examine their mass,to see if they would make up for the missing matter.

They say trillions of them pass through each and everyone of us every second ,thats a heck of a lot,which could account for it.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Dark Matter is something that is really only observed on the galactic cosmological scale.

Which implies, to me, that we have a flawed application of the basic principles of gravitation as they relate to galactic mechanics. Rather than mystical material.

Other possibilities simply involve the sheer amount of assumptions made about our ability to accurately measure and calculate distances on a galactic scale from our planet (which, if our galaxy were an atom, would be a magnitude smaller than the Planck Scale - for comparison purposes, only).

So, to that end - we need to take anything involving deep space with a few grains of salt. There are any number of factors that can affect measurement that we know about but have limited ability to detect (and compensate for).... and any number that we have no cause to suspect exist.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by gps777

GPS777,

Is it possible that dark matter has no mass at all? The realm of possibilities is endless right now. Thanks for your input.

@reitze

His theories seem to be quite controversial on ats. I myself find nothing wrong with putting your theories out there to be examined.
edit on 21-4-2012 by ventian because: missed sumthin

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ventian

Is it possible that dark matter has no mass at all? The realm of possibilities is endless right now.

I`m with you mate,this stuff is fasinating and as they say: the more we learn the less we know.

Which is why I like Aims advice here...

Originally posted by Aim64C

So, to that end - we need to take anything involving deep space with a few grains of salt.

Quantum physics being incompatible with general relativity (both correct in their own right) is a major clue that a new theory for everything is yet to come.

I hope I`m still alive on the day its descovered and many questions might then be answered.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join