It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many Hackers do you believe exist in the world today?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
So, I am curious, How many hackers do you believe exist in the world today? I have looked for online statistics, but that doesn't tell me anything about hackers. Only how many people in the world there really are. which is over 7 billion. So, I have an estimation of 1.4 billion hackers. But according to some, it seems too high. So, I figured I would come here and see what you guys think.

7 Billion people
106 million computers

Like, what kind of math problem would you come up with to determine the amount of hackers, unwilling participants and bots to make up a figure of a hacking community?

If there is a website with statistics, point me to it please.

Thank you.

edit on 20-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
It depends who defines what a hacker is.

I dropped one of those download manager exe's into notepad to see whether there were any visible url's and there were. I typed one into my browser and ended up on a webpage that listed MOD DOE and LOCKHEED MARTIN stuff. I left as quick as I could, does that make me a hacker?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
There is literally over 9000. I personally know one for sure. My mom is a hacker.

Well she might not be a real hacker. But that will be my story if the fbi ever comes to my house to arrest anyone.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
No, But you may be unwilling participant.

So it's going to be impossible to come up a ball park figure.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Ok here my quess

100 - 200 real Hacker

1,000 - 3,000 Want to be learning and being taken down

10,000 - 20,000 that do DDOS and think there hacker

100,000 to 500,000 BotNet that are control by most Hacker and a few Want to be

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trillium
Ok here my quess

100 - 200 real Hacker

But I doubt out of 7 Billion people worldwide, that there would only be 100-200 people out of the bunch that are true hackers. That seems very low.

Not bad but I actually have to find a source to cite it.

I like your statistics better.
edit on 20-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trillium
Ok here my quess

100 - 200 real Hacker

Yep, I think thats about right. Real hacking requires enormous knowledge on both software and hardware.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

infosecisland.com...

Some Chinese hackers are being trained at schools like the Communication Command Academy in Wuhan (the capital of Hubei province). Based on some research by the U.S. intelligence, the total number of registered hackers in China is approaching 400,000.

WOW my number may be a bit low

edit on 20-4-2012 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

Where are they coming up with those figures? For all I know they could just be posting numbers.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by emberscott

Originally posted by emberscott
There is literally over 9000. I personally know one for sure. My mom is a hacker.

Well she might not be a real hacker. But that will be my story if the fbi ever comes to my house to arrest anyone.

What's your mom's power level?
edit on 21-4-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

lol, now you switched the forum figures on me.

That's only china, I need everybody.

edit on 21-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

First of all, "Hacker" is a misnomer. A Computer Hacker, such as myself, is basically a Computer Hobbyist, one who likes to build and configure their own machine from parts, one who likes to delve into software problems and find a fix themselves. This is true even if the hobbyist runs Windows.

I think what you are talking about is a Cracker. These people are the ones who attempt to break into computers, steal information, and cause trouble, although the public has benefited from certain Crackers when it comes to secret information.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Not too many. Or at least they don't even know what they are doing and how their hacks are replicated !

The Dutch government and secret intelligence led by Rob Bertholee, with the blessing of the King has created a series of universities where hackers are trained to hack into controlled environments, into specific machines.
These hacking techniques are surreptitiously recorded step by step, in audio, video, and console text format by the dutch secret services, and are then replicated in the real environment against real targets, that the dutch govt chooses.
The dutch government together with the govts of the UK, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark and Germany have orchestrated the hacks against the OPCW and WADA, spoofing their IP addresses to appear as if they came from Russia. All addresses in electronics can be spoofed by altering certain firmware-level variables, and acting upon the packet flow, to replace addresses, before he packet leaves the machine network adapter.

Hackers don't actually know that their techniques are being replicated by the intelligence for what purpose.
Their training centers in the Netherlands are the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, TU-Delft, University of Leiden, TU/e Eindhoven, University of Utrecht and the University of Amsterdam.

Part of the plan to launch these attacks against the OPCW and WADA, by the dutch intelligence led by Rob Bertholee, were also known and approved, not only by the King, but also by the Dutch ambassador to Russia, Renee Jones-Bos

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   
How Many Trolls Are There In Our World...???
I Am One.... [sometimes]

new topics

top topics

join