It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Our Galaxy’s Dark Matter Gone Missing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
If a new study is true, then the search for dark matter just got a lot weirder. Our little corner of the Milky Way contains no observable concentration of the mysterious stuff whose gravity binds the galaxy, claims one team of astronomers. That finding would present a major problem for models of how galaxies form and may undermine the whole notion of dark matter, the researchers claim. But some scientists doubt the reliability of the team’s method for measuring the elusive substance.

“This is not just some piddling little detail,” says Frederic Hessman, an astronomer at the University of Göttingen in Germany who was not involved in the work. “If this is right, it turns everything totally upside-down.” But that’s a big if, says Julio Navarro, an astrophysicist at the University of Victoria in Canada: “The argument is provocative, but it remains inconclusive, in my opinion.”

wHOAA? Wait a minute? Just five minutes ago they were saying something completely different?

www.wired.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

That"s because scientists are confusing Dark Matter (obscure nebulaes made of normal matter) and Dark Energy (Unknown substance that was never observed but that would make up for the 70 % missing mass).

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I ate it all. I'll probably go to hell for it but who can resist a big helping of dark matter, now and again?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ezekielken

You got help, see?
I added a touch of DARK chocolate.
edit on 20-4-2012 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

edit on 20-4-2012 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I believe dark matter is a byproduct of gravity. The universe is both simple and complicated. You have to think outside the box to figure things out sometimes. The three ships leaving our solar system are being affected by an unknown gravitational force. I think gravity has evolved and has more than just a few ways it holds the known universe together. I bet there are pockets of space that can affect gravity in our solar system when we pass through.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Dark matter, and Dark Energy don't exist.

They are basically the result of mistakes in calculations of the mass of distant objects, and how we go about doing this.

IT basically all boils down to general relativity (Gravitational Red-shift) being used to determine the mass of distant objects, and how relativity is completely wrong.

(See Also, OPERA Scientists find that Neutrino's travel faster than light, this disproving Relativity)

reply to post by swan001

You got help, see?
I added a touch of DARK....

Now, let's not bring race into this....

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

Now if only you weren't made to look like a fool in the threat you started, where your assertion that a 60ns lag would make neutrinos appear slower (making them 120ns faster than light) rather than faster. You were wrong then and you are just as wrong now. The neutrinos did not move faster than light, and this will be put to rest when they conduct their final experiment.

As far as dark matter goes, it may very well not exist, it's very theoretical, or it may exist in ways they don't understand yet. Very interesting times we live in, I look forward to where this leads us!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Now if only you weren't made to look like a fool in the threat you started, where your assertion that a 60ns lag would make neutrinos appear slower (making them 120ns faster than light) rather than faster.

You really think that you made me look like a fool? Seriously?

Did you ever get the schematics for the neutrino detector like I asked you at least 3 times? Or were you just going to forget that part about you asserting that you knew how it was all connected?

Were you ever going to address the fact that a loose optical cable won't produce a 60ns delay?

Or were you ordered to just try to attack my "Credibility", as opposed to refuting my arguments?

You were wrong then and you are just as wrong now.

That's a nice baseless assertion that you have there, did you have an argument to back that up?

The neutrinos did not move faster than light, and this will be put to rest when they conduct their final experiment.

Oh, so you ADMIT that the final results are not in, and yet you still claim that you know the truth of the situation?

That's really funny there...

As far as dark matter goes, it may very well not exist, it's very theoretical, or it may exist in ways they don't understand yet. Very interesting times we live in, I look forward to where this leads us!

Backing off of Relativity already, eh?

You are quite the fickle one, aren't you?
edit on 21-4-2012 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join