It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Cured my Migraines after 14 Years!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
OMG is all I can say. The damage I have probably done to my body from taking Tylenol, Excedin, Motrin IB, and more. The countless times I could barely function at work, and missing fun times with friends and family.

I started getting my headaches around age 19. I figured since my mother got headaches it was just hereditary and that migraines were going to be something I had to learn to deal with and be prepared for. I always carried some Excedrin Migraine or Motrin IB with me wherever I went. I still have packets stuffed in my glove box, tool box, and tackle box. I even posted a thread on ATS about how I got headaches when there are intense solar flares (I believe perhaps now it only emphasizes during solar storms).

I could actually feel my migraines beginning hours in advance. I knew when I was about to get one. If I didn't take medicine I would have the most excruciating pain in the right side of my head. It would last until I went to sleep for a long period, or when I took enough pills to make it subside. If I caught it early enough I could simply take a couple of pills and be fine-but once it starts the pain in your head is so severe that you can't be around light, music, smoke, stupid people, driving, the sun, sex, or anything stressful. I have missed many months of my life due to this extreme pain that was always sneaking about.

How I discovered what was causing my headaches:
Up until a few months ago I ate like a glutenous pig sloth. I drank at least a few cans if not almost a 2-liter per day of soda. I am an IT professional and found myself staring at a screen all day or driving around starting off with a McBiscuit in the morning then a Taco at lunch, then a meal with my family at night followed by a Square Donut from Family Express (a gas station chain around Chicago). I loved sugar! Me and Chocolate have a-well relationship. It makes me happy. I feel great like I don't have a care in the world when I bite into all that sugary goodness all the bakeries in the world have to offer.

Then the unthinkable happened. I ate a bunch of "Cheesy Chicken & Rice" right before bed without drinking anything (probably some soda) and laid right down and went to sleep. Well the thing is that ball of mass my fat little self hoarded before bed turned into a rock in my stomach. Poop? There was no stinking poop... I could not poop for about 6 days!

In the mean time my stomach began to hurt badly, and I was horribly bloated. I didn't even wear deodorant because I wanted to make sure my body was getting rid of toxins somehow!

I had a friend tell me I probably had a horrible diet and didn't drink enough water. I started searching around for tips on how to eat healthy, and how to get healthy. I found a lot of information telling me to stay away from GMO foods because they contain pesticides that your body has to get out of your body (which consumes energy and resources). I even saw Dr. Oz say "If you know anyone who is sick they should eat organic". So I did.

I also learned about how High Fructose Corn Syrup is in everything you eat. Plus now they feed M&M's to cows, and Monsanto is taking over farmers fields, and omg omg omg...

What I did:

1. Gave up eating Sugar
  2. Gave up Pop (soda for the laymen)
  3. Gave up eating anything with High-Fructose Corn Syrup (everything in the world)
  4. Started eating as much raw organic food as I could
  5. Stay away from GMO foods
  6. Drink lots (a lot) of water

I am almost positive that giving up the sugar (my daily doughnut/other sweet(s))and pop. I had a handful of chocolate covered raisins the other day and although I didn't get a headache I could "feel" that part of my brain that I get migraines from. I have had times in my life where I was plenty hydrated so I can also scratch off water too.

Want to get rid of your headache? Quit eating the sugar they are feeding us and that does include High Fructose Corn Syrup. It worked for me. I know it is hard-believe me, I am a choco-halic. I can smell a candy bar 30 to 40 feet away (depending on the moisture level of the cocoa), and I can hear pudding (H.S.).

I don't believe that migraines are hereditary-I believe your family teaches you how to eat-you follow that path until you break out of it.

From livestrong.com:

The National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke reports that food and ingredients in foods play a part in about 50 percent of migraine headaches. The Institute reports that the cause of headaches is often complex. Sugar consumption may be one of the factors that lead to headaches, but it is one over which we have some control.
Arterial Activity
The pain that is a headache results from loss of oxygen due to constricting arteries around the brain. This constriction is often caused by sudden changes in levels of blood glucose, the food carried by blood to brain cells along with oxygen. Under normal circumstances, delivery of glucose is kept constant by insulin created in the pancreas; but when the system fails, arteries cramp up, trying to force more flow. A headache is the brain's signal that it is in distress.

Sugar
Sugar is a simple carbohydrate; it translates immediately into blood glucose. Refined sugar, fructose in fruit, lactose in milk and the corn syrup we put on pancakes are all simple carbs. Complex carbs--whole grains like flour, oatmeal and rice as well as many vegetables--take longer to transform into glucose and enter the blood gradually, over a longer period of time.

Hypoglycemia
Cells with insufficient glucose are unable to process food and oxygen in a condition called hypoglycemia. The National Headache Foundation (NHF) says that migraine sufferers often crave carbohydrates before or during an attack, a sign of low blood sugar. Hypoglycemia is the "crash" after an overdose--often consisting of a large portion of simple carbs like sugar--that forces arteries to spasm and withhold oxygen from brain cells, resulting in the painful cramping we call a headache.

Significance
The AHA reports that Americans consume nearly 355 calories worth of extrinsic and intrinsic sugars, much of them in simple carbohydrate form per day. Considering that 100 to 150 calories per day would be a sensible amount, this means that Americans routinely engage in the kind of sugar feast that leads to hypoglycemia. According to the NHF, the result can be "lightheadedness, weakness, headache, sweating, and change in level of consciousness if the condition is severe enough."

Signals and Consequences
Although sugar does not cause headaches directly, its overconsumption triggers the process that causes them. It makes sense to control how much sugar is in the food we consume if only to lower the risk of headache. With sugar intake controlled, headache pain may provide an early warning to serious conditions related to uncontrolled blood sugar levels, like stroke or diabetes.

Read more: www.livestrong.com...

edit on 20-4-2012 by samlf3rd because: Wrong youtube link

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The FDA would never allow such toxic substances to be in the food supplies.

Same thing happened to me too when I stopped eating all the crap. Saved a ton of money not buying all those Excedrin migraine bottles.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I can't believe it. I wasted so many days of my life while people were outside having fun, or family event's functions/vacations!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I to changed my diet and had a great effect against my migranes. I now grow most of my own food and eat organic with everything I buy. I have always drank alot of water but I still increased the amount. I also find that a small dose of antihistamine can sometimes kill a migrane better than all the other stuff. Also if you like to eat sweet stuff, try semi-sweet chocolate. That is the one thing like that I can eat without it affecting me.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I have been just eating a little dark chocolate here and there when I can't take it any longer. Why does everything have to be bad for you?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I recently went to an event hosted by an organic farm, all their cusomers were there. The first thing I noticed was how calm all the children were because they did not have their body's filled with additives and pesticides etc.

If you've got young children take them off the BAD FOOD. Get them some real organic goodness.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
I recently went to an event hosted by an organic farm, all their cusomers were there. The first thing I noticed was how calm all the children were because they did not have their body's filled with additives and pesticides etc.

If you've got young children take them off the BAD FOOD. Get them some real organic goodness.

Yep! My sister-in-law got in an argument with me this past weekend because my son asked for ketchup and asked if it had high-fructose corn syrup in it and they freaked out on us. Saying we are brainwashing him! Ha! I said you are brainwashed by your food to make you believe it tastes great so it must be good. My son is 8 he is not hyper either.

Good call.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
we get some funny looks when we eat somewhere and we pull out organic food for the young'n, some people have even said "yuck, you dont feed him that stuff do you"

They are so brainwashed.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I don't get it. Are people jealous we eat better than them? I feel that it was one of the best decision I have ever made in my life. The food tastes so good-it's healthy, and it makes you feel a little more connected with the Earth and land too. They are so brainwashed.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Cows eat M&M's and Chips!

As corn prices are going up, large scale factory farm operations are looking for cheaper foods to feed cattle. Among new cost cutting measures, mixing reject M&Ms and potato chips with corn feed is no longer uncommon. Of course compared to the dangerous but routine practice of feeding slaughterhouse waste, blood, and manure to feedlot animals, M&Ms and potato chips don't sound that bad. In the meantime, cattle ranchers raising grass-fed beef are struggling to stay in business, as more people are buying the cheap stuff.

Source: www.lavidalocavore.org...
and many more sites and documentaries too.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

This is great! Congratulations, you!!!

Your post actually cleared up something for me that I hadn't thought of before. I have been a lifelong migraine sufferer, and the frequency had slowed after I reached my twenties, but I still had to hit the ER once or twice a year even then. BUT... ever since I got divorced, going on 11 years now, I have not had one ER visit for migraine. I still occasionally get one, but mild enough that sleep and either prescription Midrin or plain old Excedrine can stop it before it gets to the throwing-up stage. No, it's not due to less stress. What I just realized is that I grew up in a family where my Mom served dessert every night with dinner. I was married twice, both guys were used to the American ideal of 3 square meals a day, and dessert afterwards. My second ex, in particular, had a real sweet tooth - he would eat a half a box of sugared cereal for a snack, after work, or a whole box of pop tarts. I never craved sweets, instead, I usually crave salty foods, but when you are cooking for a family where sweets are the norm, you follow along with the program.

After the divorce, when the dust settled, and I entered my current relationship (now 11 years), I found that we had much more similar tastes. We don't eat desserts, instead, we will have a bit of dark chocolate or a frozen yogurt one or twice a week. We tend to eat only one "meal" a day and in the evening, a salad or a few slices of cheese and fruit (we aren't saints, though, we love micro-breweries). I hadn't looked at it from the dietary aspect before. I think I ended up free to eat differently, and maybe that is what made the difference. Thanks for the insight!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Don't forget about aspartame, which causes eye sight lost among other symptoms. Stay away from chewing gum and diet sodas, both commonly contain aspartame.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd

As corn prices are going up, large scale factory farm operations are looking for cheaper foods to feed cattle. Among new cost cutting measures, mixing reject M&Ms and potato chips with corn feed is no longer uncommon. Of course compared to the dangerous but routine practice of feeding slaughterhouse waste, blood, and manure to feedlot animals, M&Ms and potato chips don't sound that bad. In the meantime, cattle ranchers raising grass-fed beef are struggling to stay in business, as more people are buying the cheap stuff.

this isn't new news LOL.. I saw this as a kid back in the mid 70's

*2nd to be sure*

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by netgamer7k
Don't forget about aspartame, which causes eye sight lost among other symptoms. Stay away from chewing gum and diet sodas, both commonly contain aspartame.

Yes I believe it is any fake sugar, or sugar extract that does it. Fake sugar is worse than real sugar. People tell me "I'm on a diet, I have been drinking diet-soda". That's great but isn't it proven people ho drink that don't lose any weight , in fact they weigh more than people who drink regular soda because the body can process real sugar and use it for short-term energy as opposed to the body not even knowing what to do with fake sugar. It's a toxin, and it's only benefit is that it makes your taste buds believe "The object you are eating tastes good".

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo

Originally posted by samlf3rd

this isn't new news LOL.. I saw this as a kid back in the mid 70's

*2nd to be sure*

Well judging by my quote you should understand that it is "New To Me" and probably a lot of other people too.

How is it that people let this go on?

join