It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What difference between America, U.S., USA, The United States of America, The States, and all.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmedinet
the americasreply to post by Wrabbit2000

Of course there also seen different American flags, 13 stars, 50 stars, confederate, these represent factions of
nostalgic people.

I'm all for democracy, but not based on unconstitutional rulings, such as voting age set at 18,

Hope you stay inside tonight,

I trimmed a little for space... one at a time here though?

the different flags? I'm not sure how you mean factions of nostalgic people?? 13 stars was the Flag of the United States in the earliest versions to represent the 13 Colonies which formed the core that became the United States. In case..you weren't sure about that? Your message is a little confusing.

Confederate...was a national flag, legally flown and representing what called itself a proper nation as the Confederate States of America. Again..it's a historic item and yeah, some people do like the Stars and Bars of the Confederate Battle Flag, but nostalgia isn't usually what someone is thinking when that one goes up the flag pole.

If you'd like to return to CONSTITUTIONAL terms of voting..
.. I'll be happy to. I happen to be a land owner, in good standing as the original Constitution clearly stipulates as part of the requirement to legally participate and vote in the American political process. I'll still be voting in November if we return to that, as it was originally passed as law. Would that work? I may not have much for crowds to worry about....and so it's probably a good idea we not mess too much with voter requirements.

I have no idea why you hope I stay inside? Hmm. that just made no sense. In some contexts I'd take that as some veiled threat but your message is kinda disjointed anyway, so I'll figure it's some obscure reference I'm just not getting.

edit on 20-4-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I don't see the point in your post

Elsewise of course.

Hope 180degrees makes you a 328degree mason.

Mr medinet

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by mrmedinet

Official name is: (The) United States of America

U.S.A = United States of America
U.S = United States
America is an abbreviation.
"The States" is a nickname
"The Union" is a term to describe the state relationship to each other (we are a Republic)

Hope that information helps, elsewise I do not see the point of your thread.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

In such case you normally are where you live, if in England it makes you English and so forth. I know my parentage therefore my lineage, in the case of orphans you simply are from whence you live.

But I do not understand your point in regards America.. can you clarify?

What is it you wish us to learn?
edit on 20-4-2012 by Jameela because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Greenland is part of North America.

Iceland is actually on both continental plates.. technically, it's both American and European, depending on what part of Iceland or on.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I think you might be clinically insane..

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

"The US of A" doesn't really have a name the way most countries do. We're not the land of the Normans or Francs or Chinese peoples. We're a factual kind of name.

United States = Unified Countries
of
America = the continent of America

We're a group of unified separate states on the continent of America.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
let's have a little scenario

You can misquote the constitution all you want.

I'm not going to elect you.

Hope you correct yourself before someone else does it for you,

Mr medinet

P.S. veiled threats are threats...not sure what your thinking was on that last statement

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

the americasreply to post by Wrabbit2000

Of course there also seen different American flags, 13 stars, 50 stars, confederate, these represent factions of
nostalgic people.

I'm all for democracy, but not based on unconstitutional rulings, such as voting age set at 18,

Hope you stay inside tonight,

I trimmed a little for space... one at a time here though?

the different flags? I'm not sure how you mean factions of nostalgic people?? 13 stars was the Flag of the United States in the earliest versions to represent the 13 Colonies which formed the core that became the United States. In case..you weren't sure about that? Your message is a little confusing.

Confederate...was a national flag, legally flown and representing what called itself a proper nation as the Confederate States of America. Again..it's a historic item and yeah, some people do like the Stars and Bars of the Confederate Battle Flag, but nostalgia isn't usually what someone is thinking when that one goes up the flag pole.

If you'd like to return to CONSTITUTIONAL terms of voting..
.. I'll be happy to. I happen to be a land owner, in good standing as the original Constitution clearly stipulates as part of the requirement to legally participate and vote in the American political process. I'll still be voting in November if we return to that, as it was originally passed as law. Would that work? I may not have much for crowds to worry about....and so it's probably a good idea we not mess too much with voter requirements.

I have no idea why you hope I stay inside? Hmm. that just made no sense. In some contexts I'd take that as some veiled threat but your message is kinda disjointed anyway, so I'll figure it's some obscure reference I'm just not getting.

edit on 20-4-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Thankyou

Originally posted by Rockpuck

I think you might be clinically insane..

I'm glad you found that gray middle ground and gave me the benefit of the doubt by saying "might".

Hope you don't burden yourself with mediocrity,

Mr medinet

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
They most certainly all have different meanings. Great thread, language is very interesting.

U.S. is most commonly used in general conversation.

America is typically in a humorous form.

USA is most often seen on paper or electronically.

The United States of America is used when something is really important.

The States is when someone outside of the 48 talks about the States.

and

Hawai'i calls the US the mainland

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
end from the beginning

I want you to learn the nomenclature of "my land".

Yes.

Originally posted by Jameela

In such case you normally are where you live, if in England it makes you English and so forth. I know my parentage therefore my lineage, in the case of orphans you simply are from whence you live.

But I do not understand your point in regards America.. can you clarify?

What is it you wish us to learn?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

end from the beginning

I want you to learn the nomenclature of "my land".

Yes.

In that case I honestly believe it is derived from ancient Kemet and has its meaning from the eternal spirit, because America is a spirit and not a place. It is ruled by a spirit, and is the seat of a spirit, sprung from the belly of the earth, founded upon innocent blood.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

Awesome! I'll definitely read the article you posted! Thank you!

It truly is an awesome link! No problem, and your welcome!(lol).

There so much more to a name, than just some random letters... the depth in which it represents. Ahhh the awesomeness of etymology.

BTW, those that passed on the link the first time... you're missing out on some fun stuff

I hope someone takes the time to refute its information, that would be nice to see...

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

LOL.... I'll be more than happy to assist you in your education on the Constitution of the United States. It happens, in pure coincidence of timing, that I happen to be in a high pressure combined Political Science/American History course this semester at college to meet the United States and Missouri requirements for Constitutional understanding and knowledge of our system and it's origins.

See.... We can take two classes that are fairly easy or 1 that is ..well.. a pressure cooker than has me dreaming of Constitutional signing scenes and Supreme Court cases...6 of which I still have to write legal briefs on for this class and in the very near (like next few days) future. Oh..then I get what sounds like a total 15-25 page essay on every single of the 1st 10 amendments that form our Bill of Rights. Ugh..

Anyway.. I am absolutely, 100% certain to my understanding of that area for the U.S. Constitution and how it originally passed as our founding document. Please do, feel free to show a contradictory text if you find one and can source it back for origins and legitimacy. By the sound of it, it would be in contradiction to what is offered by Federal/State requirements of obtaining a College Degree and the examples we're to work from.......and what I've personally READ in the somewhat faded photographic image of the real deal in Washington. So..... There we are.

If children get to vote because 18 ain't good enough all of the sudden...then I vote we go ALL the way back and the children can go buy a house first.

@Rockpuck

Thanks for that clarification. LOL... I really wasn't sure and feared I was making a fool of myself anyway I went on that one.. I appreciate the knowledge so I can get that little detail right in the future. NOW I see why Europe had the ownership feelings about Iceland when they collapsed. I'd wondered about that dynamic to the situation.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
[font=Script MT Bold]Beautiful![/font

"What of those who deny God's Attributes?"

Jabir asked, "My Lord, what does it mean when fallen creatures say that god cannot be described and he is without attributes?" Baqir answered, "Jabir, these are god's words of wrath. The high king is near and is called near and rejects the worship of cursed Iblis:
'They see him distantly; we see him close'
Watch out, Jabir. I tell you, when the Qur'an states, 'Say he is one god', this is the speech of unbelievers. What do you say to that?" Jabir said, "Lord of all lords, you know best."
Baqir said, "God is as we have described him, as he appeared to Iblis. The cursed Iblis said, and full of
loathing, 'You are not our lord there is only one god and a godhead. But he is in heaven. There is no likeness or image of him' Yet this is a shallow explanation of the verse., 'Say, he is one god' The words also signify enormous anger. May Iblis be far from YOU, from all Muslims and believers. Jabir, for all the faithless he is far and difficult, but for believers he is near and plain. Believers know he is but the unbelievers see nothing there.

"When you worship what is not, it rejects your worship. When something is not, the worship is refused. As it is written, 'He rejects repentance of the unbelievers.' Jabir for us there is no room for what is not. Apart from god as he's described, we see no other. The high king is the spirit in the godhead, In light he is the sun coming from god. From realm to realm that light kisses light all the way down into the holy seat of believers brain, like rope or PATH. When light and spirit fade, believers wed the TRUTH, and through the light return to body."

end from the beginning

In that case I honestly believe it is derived from ancient Kemet and has its meaning from the eternal spirit, because America is a spirit and not a place. It is ruled by a spirit, and it the seat of a spirit, sprung from the belly of the earth, founded in blood.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

Ahh so you enjoy etymology too!
I find it so interesting!

Yes once finals are over I will give the link a good going over, also I will see if there is any information in it that some of my professors may comment on beforehand.

I have a HUGE paper I have one month to complete, as well as finals to study for as finals are coming up late next month, but I will try to work it in, at least partially. I shouldn't even be on the site tonight, but I got stuck writing so thought to take a break. I have to STOP that!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Your wrong.

Voting doesn't require land ownership...

Prove me wrong, then you can go have your cocktail.

Hope happy hour can wait,

Mr medinet

P.S. Your in a hole; stop digging.

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

LOL.... I'll be more than happy to assist you in your education on the Constitution of the United States. It happens, in pure coincidence of timing, that I happen to be in a high pressure combined Political Science/American History course this semester at college to meet the United States and Missouri requirements for Constitutional understanding and knowledge of our system and it's origins.

See.... We can take two classes that are fairly easy or 1 that is ..well.. a pressure cooker than has me dreaming of Constitutional signing scenes and Supreme Court cases...6 of which I still have to write legal briefs on for this class and in the very near (like next few days) future. Oh..then I get what sounds like a total 15-25 page essay on every single of the 1st 10 amendments that form our Bill of Rights. Ugh..

Anyway.. I am absolutely, 100% certain to my understanding of that area for the U.S. Constitution and how it originally passed as our founding document. Please do, feel free to show a contradictory text if you find one and can source it back for origins and legitimacy. By the sound of it, it would be in contradiction to what is offered by Federal/State requirements of obtaining a College Degree and the examples we're to work from.......and what I've personally READ in the somewhat faded photographic image of the real deal in Washington. So..... There we are.

If children get to vote because 18 ain't good enough all of the sudden...then I vote we go ALL the way back and the children can go buy a house first.

@Rockpuck

Thanks for that clarification. LOL... I really wasn't sure and feared I was making a fool of myself anyway I went on that one.. I appreciate the knowledge so I can get that little detail right in the future. NOW I see why Europe had the ownership feelings about Iceland when they collapsed. I'd wondered about that dynamic to the situation.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Dumb question....

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
You would vote to strip the right to vote?reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Are you kidding me?

Seriously...you must have "bruised thy head"

Hope you feel better,

Mr medinet

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
be careful with ahadith, as many are not authentic ahadith, but are falsifications. They are not something you can believe all that were ever written. Look both to what was said as well as chain of transmission to determine the truth of them. This is what our scholars do. You are quoting from exaggerations and falsehoods.

edit on 21-4-2012 by Jameela because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

I'm having a little fun with this because Ignorance can be amusing when someone takes outright pride in it. It's very sad in it's own way, but amusing is certainly the more powerful side to me. You asked though, so I shall supply.

Where in history can the United States have ever required that a Man (not a woman) and a white man at that have been a land owner before entertaining the idea of voting in a national election? Well... As I mentioned, it was written into the Constitution and passed as the law of the U.S lands in the first version and what formed the core basis for the founding of our nation. Here...Let me cite more example though.

First, I offer a general and somewhat unscientific timeline for GENERAL reference of what happened and when.

A brief timeline of United States Voting Requirements. 1790-2000

If that one isn't sufficient or questionable for source, here...Let me give the ACLU version of the same general timeline.

ACLU Timeline of American voting rights from origin to present.

Now, where I'm having fun with this is how..if your being sincere at all...you are splitting hairs to the level of the extreme. The right to vote was defined by the Constititon in that before the 12th Amendment and followup 15th Amendments, it was left, specifically to the states. "but but but that means it didn't say so!" You might say.

Well, yeah... and No. In MODERN times with a pack of lawyers and an eye for loopholes..sure, they just said any 'ol warm body could belly up and vote. In REALITY, that lack of definition WAS the definition. The Constitution passed to the states in 1787. As of 1790, 10 of those states had absolute requirements for private property ownership to allow a citizen to vote.

Almost all of them went further to specify that it be ONLY a White Male property owner. New Jersey originally had it as anyone worth "fity pounds" for whatever that meant in the times...but they "corrected" that to reflect White men only in 1807.

Now as a final note to clarify what this all means....and it's part of what these classes in a college teach as well. The wording of and what was in/out of the Constitution was in NO WAY happenstance. It was the product of endless wrangling, compromises (more than one official and historically recorded) and general fighting.

The fact voting rights were left to the states to define at that time *WAS NOT* a statement of no concern, but a way to keep things as they were...without MORE fighting and endless bickering over how to word it. The writings of the men of the time show the states they represented had NO problem with the state of voting rights....if they weren't actually in favor of MORE restrictions than already existed.

So.... There we go. Should I go scurry around to collect up the documents and summaries of all the Statehouses and their local requirements from 1787 and for the years following...or can we trust folks like the ACLU (of all the places) to not screw this up, when it's so purely historical for factual content?

edit on 21-4-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: minor changes for spacing and emphasis

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join