It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the UK government going to push for a ban on cigarettes in the UK? Probably.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
What I would like to see in the UK is an end to automatic free healthcare for self-inflicted illnesses, diseases and injuries, such as those brought about by smoking, drinking, drug-taking and eating crap.

Of course, the process of deciding what constitutes a ''self-inflicted'' need for healthcare would need to be thoroughly transparent and clear to everyone, but I don't see why we should continue to fund the treatment of people whose preventable actions directly led to the need for medical help in first place.

edit on 20-4-2012 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

I agree. But you forgot the two biggest offenders, Cattle farmers, and motorists.
Both pump out so much greenhouse gas that they are not only self inflicting they are poisoning the planet and everything on it as well.

ETA: Oh wait, also everyone who goes out in daylight. The sun causes cancer and it's your choice to go outside.
edit on 20-4-2012 by randomtangentsrme because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

tax from cigarretes £6bn

Smokers cost the Nhs £1.2 billion

So in my book that puts the NHS and the Government £4.8 billion in profit
I smoke and have contributed to this profit and as such feel i deserve preferential treatment at hospital because i have paid more in taxes than non smoking Tree hugging whale saving anti fur vegans
These are of course all good causes except for vegetablism which is wrong on every level

Cran

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

"I've tried to stop on several occasions" says to me that you want to stop but can't find the will or the help so you can actually stop with the filth...why fight it then, they'd be doing you a favour surely?

Two words pal...Electronic Cigarette.

If you want to stop, and you can't get off the analogues..and IF you really want to get off the death merry-go-round, you'll love e-cigs...and if you don't love them, you DON'T want it enough!

See sense...get a proper ecig and put your heart into it, before the tobacco causes it to fail you.

And not that crap they flog in supermarkets and gas stations..they AINT proper e-cigs, go online, search and relax two three four.

It's very easy if you really want to....

edit on 20-4-2012 by MysterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Maybe they are just trying to hide them from thieves? I would really be shocked if the government banned cigarettes.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
They wont ban them because like other posters have stated the gov get rich off the taxes.

I have been on e-cigs for the past 2 years and they are good with me. I smoke all month on about $20, equivalent to a pack a day. A pack of analogues goes for $13 where I live, that's almost $400 a month if I was still smoking.

They pretty much banned smoking in the streets here, well some areas anyway.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Prohibition only increases the determination of those who would smoke while taking away whatever chemical a person might hope to find a connection to God through. I enjoy a cigarette every month or 2 - Camel non-filters. I pray you can keep the prohibition from happening. And as for the control-freeks trying to make it illegal and profit from the enforcement...

Matthew|23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
I agree. But you forgot the two biggest offenders, Cattle farmers, and motorists.

Your argument is disingenuous. Cars and other methods of transport provide a range of benefits to society, whereas cigarettes provide nothing but self-gratification for the individual.

Whilst we should continually strive to get more and more eco-friendly modes of fuel, and people should certainly cut down on needless car journeys, motorised transport provides a vital role in modern society - unless you'd like to be taken to hospital on a horse and cart.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace
Smokers cost the Nhs £1.2 billion

So in my book that puts the NHS and the Government £4.8 billion in profit

Your book is missing a few vital pages.

If tax on tobacco brings in £6bn of revenue, and expenditure on tobacco is £1.2bn, then that would, as you say, make the government £4.8bn in profit.

However, it most certainly wouldn't make the NHS £4.8bn in profit, unless you think that 100% of taxes are spent on the NHS.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I am all for individual rights but when a smoker lights up and especially when he exhales it affects my right to breath clean air.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
You seem to forget that there are no civil liberties in the United Kingdom

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Ban smoking...

Yeah coz banning it certainly works with all the other banned stuff doesn't it ? er...nope...it doesn't...who knew ? ..well everybody actually.

They won't ban it, they haven't even started on taxing all the new stuff that's apparently now bad for you, Chocolate, Pies, Pasties, Bacon, Beef etc......They're never going to ban anything now they understand they can tax the living daylights out of it.

Cosmic..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join