It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the UK government going to push for a ban on cigarettes in the UK? Probably.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I am a smoker, and have tried to stop on a few occasions. I never give up trying to give up

That said, I do believe a total ban on cigarettes is in the offing. When I go to purchase cigarettes in the UK now we cannot see them at the counter (its like that in most stores now). They are kept behind a shutter or "under the counter".

They have been rumors in parliament that they want to push for all cigarette packets to have no colored packaging. Many want all cigarette packets to be plain white, or cream colored.

I believe there is a serious drive to push cigarettes out of the UK altogether.

The question I am wondering is, when will they try to introduce this legeslation? And what will be the ramifications on civil liberties and the public backlash.

I know I get a little grumpy if I dont have a cig, imagine 500,000? Grumpy smokers!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

they'll never ban cigarettes altogether, they make billions in tax every year on them

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
fags make more money for the government than they cost the NHS etc, when i worked at my parents shop we used to spend about £500-£800 a day buying fags and that was when they were £4.50-£5.30 generally a pack so at todfays price i dread how much it would cost and this was for a end terrace style corner shop/newsagent so i doubt that they'll make them illegal, all they are doing is giving the anti smoking people some leway but for the government to give up billions of revenue is never going to happen

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Far too much money is made in tax to completely get rid of them.

I, like you am a smoker. I have been smoking for 9 months after giving up for 6 years and am desperately trying to quit but finding it really difficult. I don't think they should be banned though as everybody should have the choice to smoke or not.

If they do ban ciggies you can bet the price of something else(alcohol?) will be hiked massively.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretKnowledge

You can make more monry on the black market and whats more they dont need to regulate the quality. I believe there are the same number of beneficial reasons for banning it as keeping it (synchronicity). Whats more if they remove the money from cigarettes then it will put us in more debt and crash the economy further.

They want us under thier boot and they want the excuse to introduce martial law.
edit on 20-4-2012 by TheMindWar because: Typo

edit on 20-4-2012 by TheMindWar because: Add

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This was discussed on a news panel the other day, the couldn't possibly ban smoking, it would cause uproar, although they will do everything in their power to discourage it....the thing here is they blame smoking and drinking on being the biggest strain on the NHS, if they want to play that way, when will they take into account the strain obesity causes? Or heavy perscription and drug abuse?? That's a can of worms they have to be careful not to open

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Try to quit? Ha! The only way to stop is to go cold turkey, and mean it. That's it, that's the one way (I don't have the stats, but I think 95% of the people who do stop smoking went cold turkey. And that's an insult to turkeys).

A buddy of mine smoked, and was diagnosed with the starting little spot of emphysema on his lung. It took him an entire year, and then, whack, that's it. He stopped and recently went past the 10 years mark, and when he smells cigarette smoke now he's got to move away from it it's so repulsive.

So don't say "try" to quit. Either you do or you don't. And tell you what...if you don't you'll going to want one of those things every half-hour or so for the rest of your life!!!!!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Making smoking illegal would drive it into the Blackmarket and then you would see a US style 'Prohibition' making millions of £££££s for criminals.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
They should ban them, they destroy your body internally, make you stink, stain your teeth and fingers yellow and cost a fortune.

The worst part is, they don't actually do anything! Sure, alcohol damages your internal organs, but at least you get drunk! People say it helps them relax after a stressful day at work, chances are it is because you are gagging for a fag that you are so stressed and of course it is going to help.

I think most of the people who smoke would like to give up, but they are so readily available it makes it so difficult.

They should be banned outright and free quit smoking kits given out to help ween people off them.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
You know what, I have been smoking since I was 15. and I hope they do. I really not see any benefit of smoking cigarettes what so ever.

Unlike the purer cigar forms, ther are far more chemical artificially put into them.. They are manufactured to be addictive in the same way crack is, in that the nicotine is refined to a "free-base" form

Simply they are pure evil. and yet shortly I will go outside for a smoke.

But ironically I also have a pack of Nicorette patches on standby

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The government will not ban smoking it would cost far too much
Loss of tax revenue
More money spent on Customs & Exise chasing smugglers
NHS under more strain from people smoking smuggled tobacco from china where there are no regulations as to what goes in the smokes
As Al Murry would say
Back Off Brussels

Cran

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
I am a smoker, and have tried to stop on a few occasions. I never give up trying to give up

That said, I do believe a total ban on cigarettes is in the offing. When I go to purchase cigarettes in the UK now we cannot see them at the counter (its like that in most stores now). They are kept behind a shutter or "under the counter".

They've had that policy in Canada for years now. I can't even remember the last time I saw cigs in a store anywhere. ID is needed to show that you're of age to smoke also, which is 18. ID is needed even to buy a lighter.

They have been rumors in parliament that they want to push for all cigarette packets to have no colored packaging. Many want all cigarette packets to be plain white, or cream colored.

Better than what Canadians have to look at on their packs. There's a picture on the following thread.
They used to show a picture of a limp cigarette, that was my favorite.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I believe there is a serious drive to push cigarettes out of the UK altogether.

The question I am wondering is, when will they try to introduce this legeslation? And what will be the ramifications on civil liberties and the public backlash.

I know I get a little grumpy if I dont have a cig, imagine 500,000? Grumpy smokers!

Are you still able to smoke in work places, restaurants, bars, etc? If you are, they'll ban those places first.
People still smoke over here, but the numbers are way down, they make it difficult for smokers to find a place to have one, plus the cost is crazy.

I don't smoke, but I don't know how smokers can afford it at around $10 for a pack of 20.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Yes, we have the same laws here as yourselves by sounds of things. Its a slow but hidden policy agebda I believe. As for people saying it will cost billions in revenue, I dont think this will make any difference on the government position.

That said, I do wonder why they are trying to force cigarettes out of the market place. Because thats exactly what they are doing. There are many, many government anti-smoking ads on tv everyday here also, especially with babies in them breathing smoke

No if they cared about revenue then they wouldn't be pushing this hard. They have probably lost many millions in revenue already from the policies they have introduced over the last year or two.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
How about the "smoking should be banned because it disgusting" people shallapp!! Yada yada yada, so's unhealthy food, and radiation, and bad rail crossings...we're all adults and can make our own decisions....deal with it
although I was being deadly serious :|

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Over here, I think it costs the government more if people smoke, only because of the medical costs from whatever smoking related health problems arise.

They have heavy taxes on cigarettes, but if they have to cover our medical costs, the revenue from the taxes aren't enough.
They're big on preventing health problems here, lots of public health messages about not smoking, eating right, and exercising regularly.

I don't know if in the UK medical is covered by the government, I'm assuming it is.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
How about the "smoking should be banned because it disgusting" people shallapp!! Yada yada yada, so's unhealthy food, and radiation, and bad rail crossings...we're all adults and can make our own decisions....deal with it
although I was being deadly serious :|

You know what puts me off smoking
People eating near me when i'm trying to enjoy a good woodbine

Cran

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
although i cant find the weblink, i did read that for 2009 the government published figures related to smoking.

tax from cigarretes £6bn
smokers cost to nhs £1.2bn

so its a big revenue earner for the government.

the uk government probably does want to ban ciggies but i cant see it happening for 10 odd years yet.

what you wont hear in the news if the smoking bans (in public places) that have not worked or not being enforced.

in france a public smoking ban is in effect but not enforced as there are so many smokers ignoring it in cafes etc. just where do the police and government start when the mass number of smokers ignore it?

in germany they did ban smoking at train sation platforms only for a short period.
due to mass complaints painted smoking sections were introduced so that smokers were catered for.

i am not sure where other smoking bans have not worked as this seems to be not reported / or deliberatley brushed under the carpet but i bet the smoking ban is not as effective as the news propoganda make out.

my gut feeling is that the uk government have almost made it socially unnaceptable to smoke.
once widespread resistance to smoking is the norm then the government will ban smoking.
then the government will put the pressure on alchohol and eventually ban that.

by then id either be an oap or dead but it will happen.

the interesting question is where would the tax come from if the uk government banned smoking and drinking?

now thats the interesting question.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by diddy1234

the interesting question is where would the tax come from if the uk government banned smoking and drinking?

Ban drinking

Blasphemy !!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
i hope that i am wrong i really do but all of the signs i see is that 'choices' are being forced out of our lives.

in the 1960's families used to go for a sunday drive in the car.
no where in particular but just out driving. fuel was cheap then and it was a family event.

the kybosh was put on that when fuel became stupidly expensive.
i only use the car for commuting now. infact i need to fill up tomorrow.
thats another £62 for 42 litres of fuel.

anyway back to the point, fuel got more expensive.
as for smokers i certanly think less people smoke now as that has also been taxed more exspensivly.

alchohol will be next.

so to put it simply all forms of enjoyment are being taxed to death and will eventually be banned.

not bad going for our new facist state of the UK

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
There's no need to ban cigarettes - just ban smoking in all public places; people should be allowed to smoke on their own property if they want.

What I would like to see in the UK is an end to automatic free healthcare for self-inflicted illnesses, diseases and injuries, such as those brought about by smoking, drinking, drug-taking and eating crap.

Of course, the process of deciding what constitutes a ''self-inflicted'' need for healthcare would need to be thoroughly transparent and clear to everyone, but I don't see why we should continue to fund the treatment of people whose preventable actions directly led to the need for medical help in first place.

edit on 20-4-2012 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join