It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teach Me Physics :D

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I've always had an interest in Physics, in fact, I almost took it as a subject in school, but instead studied Biology.

I've tried to learn some Physics, mainly the basics, online, but basically everything I try to learn is filled with jargon that I have to look up to find out what it means. This has lead to me being totally n00bish at the subject, so can't participate in any threads concerning anything to do with Physics.

Is there anyone on here that can teach me some Physics, in layman's, easy to understand terms, or can point me in the direction of such material?

I'd be grateful eternally

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
ask physics questions either here or on yahoo answers etc and after a while you'll start to see why certain things do what they do

start of with simple questions like you fire a cannon at X degrees with a Ylb ball using Z amount of force how far will it travel?

and theres plenty of sites that will allow you to put in the numbers and get the results but also show you how its done so you can check your results

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by domasio

but basically everything I try to learn is filled with jargon that I have to look up to find out what it means.

This is called learning. It's perfectly natural. If you need someone to hold your hand during the process, then I suggest going back to school.

It actually takes some effort to learn things, and you will have to read and look things up. Don't worry, it won't hurt.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Know math first. I had a real problem with Physics because math (especially geometry) is really critical to have a full understanding of first. Not just understanding, but I mean like, you have to SEE it. numbers on a paper vs. real world.

Physics finally became something I actually gave a hoot about when I started doing audio projects. That's a very specific field of physics I know, but I realized that I was out in the cold when all these geometries (vector angles, for instance) were introduced and I got lost. So I backtracked and relearned all the math, then applied it with Physics (especially electrical notions) and it all CLICKED.

You may find the same thing happens to you.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Khan Academy is a good first step.

www.khanacademy.org

edit on 20-4-2012 by Figzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady
reply to post by domasio

but basically everything I try to learn is filled with jargon that I have to look up to find out what it means.

This is called learning. It's perfectly natural. If you need someone to hold your hand during the process, then I suggest going back to school.

It actually takes some effort to learn things, and you will have to read and look things up. Don't worry, it won't hurt.

You know, this is the kind of condescending, sarcastic attitude that makes you a sad, sad person. Instead of treating someone like a second-class citizen, just because they don't understand the jargon (that, even with research, can still be confusing to MOST people), why don't you try just being nice to people, it's a much better way to change the world than being a self-appraising prick.

Thanks to those who are willing to help, very appreciated.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by domasio

Maybe people can post their favorite physics threads here. Then this thread would contain data from all over the site.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

That's actually a pretty good idea. There was a thread created the other day, can't find it though, where people can post links to sites that they use to learn about a particular subject matter. Maybe physics buffs can do the same here?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by domasio

Most of Hawkings' books are written with the lay person in mind, and should make for excellent reading. I'd highly recommend them.

Like any discipline, you're going to have to devote some time to it though, to truly learn it...

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady
reply to post by domasio

Bingo. College shook me and woke me up and made me realize I have to find out what I don't know.

That jargon is how it's done, so it's worthwhile to learn it. You should also learn calculus and linear differential equations. Then you can understand how electricity and magnetism work(well, at least how to apply it. You can understand it without a ton of math), but math IS jargon so it'll be a good learning experience.
edit on 4/20/2012 by MeesterB because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by domasio

Thanks. I like depositories (except the Texas Book). I did a thread on Vitamin C this week, and as it dwindled out I added quite a few links to ATS threads. I'd love to see an ATS collective link-list on the best of the best of physics.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
There are lots of popularized accounts that you can read. Hawking, Green, Asimov come to mind. If you want to learn physics as a mathematical description of physical phenomena, you just have to sit down with a book on classical mechanics and start working through the problems. I can't think of another way to do it.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by domasio

I'm not treating anyone like a second class citizen. You can't expect to learn something that's taken humanity thousands of years to develop without having to look things up and keep studying till you understand it. I took math classes for 3 straight years in college. I had to forgo things like sleep and eating and friends so that I could spend more time buried in math books. It's hard and frustrating. It takes work and dedication.

When you complain about having to look things up in order to learn something, it just sounds like you're looking for the easy way. There is no easy way to learn science. You just have to keep studying.

I'm just trying to be real dude.

Sorry

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by domasio

lol it's not "jargon", it's physics.
I agree with the above poster that science need to study for a long time, as a matter of fact whole life, yes its hard.
One more thing, in order for you to trully understand physics you need to be very good in maths.
So don't let this discourage you, once your third eye gets open you'll see that its unstoppable journey.
If you have money, I suggest to take private lessons.
Good luck

new topics

top topics

join