It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient 'Wave of Poseidon' Was Real Tsunami - Defeated invading Persians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Ancient 'Wave of Poseidon' Was Real Tsunami
(Ouramazingplanet.com)

A researcher has determined that an ancient text by Herodotus describing an "avenging wave of Poseidon" that wiped out an invading Persian army may have actually been a real occurrence of a tsunami in the northern Aegean.

When the ocean rose up and saved a Greek town from a marauding Persian army nearly 2,500 years ago, renowned Greek historian Herodotus chalked it up to an act of the gods.

Yet new evidence suggests his account of divine intervention is firmly rooted in the earthly realm, and was actually a tsunami, according to a researcher who spoke here today (April 19) at the annual meeting of the Seismological Society of America.

Some 50 years after the 479 B.C. event, Herodotus wrote his account. "There came to be a great ebb of the sea backwards, which lasted for a long time," he wrote.

As the sea rolled back before them, the Persians surged forward toward modern-day Kassandra, a peninsula in northern Greece, to finish a town now called Nea Potidea. But before the invaders could reach dry land, their good luck turned sour.

"Then there came upon them a great flood-tide of the sea, higher than ever before, as the natives of the place say, though high tides come often," Herodotus wrote. The Persians were washed away and the town was saved.

Image caption: The study area in Greece with red starts showing driling sites where tsunami evidence was found.
CREDIT: Klaus Reicherter, RWTH Aachen University

The articles has the details of how this research was carried out. On a side note, is this another vindication for the accuracy of Herodotus' writings of events? Granted he didn't understand why it happened and attributed it to a deity, but he did capture the sequence of events in his writings.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Interesting story and research on this, but wouldn't the tsunami have wiped out the village as well. I can't imagine it just took the army then hit the walls and receded and everyone cheered. I would be interested to find out what the height above sea level the town was and where the army was when it happened. The story definitely rings true of what would be seen if a tsunami were to occur, but I would think the waters would have caused quite a bit of destruction to the town as well.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I always wondered how Poseidon came to be associated with earthquakes. Since earthquakes and Tsunamis are closely related and "Wave of Poseidon" might have been a common saying there is probably a connection there.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It would be interesting if Poseidon indeed was a real entity, god or no. And that he knew where to create the quake to save the people from the tsunami.

Fast forward to today and look at haarp, wonder if they found some tech or writing or something...

Anyways, it was a pretty cools story and I love it when ancient writings are backed up, even if the event was misinterpreted.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Not according to Herodotus' text, the Persians "surged forward" into the newly-exposed land mass where the sea receded, a phenomena common to tsunamis, but when the wave struck it wiped out the Persian army who hadn't yet gained dry land.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
i think he just meant

wave of Poseidon = the army of Alexander the great

peace

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Alexander the Great wouldn't be born for a few more centuries when this battle took place in 479 BC.

The town in question is Potidaea, from what I can gather in this text, "The Historical Method of Herodotus" (Donald Lateiner) Herodotus only accepted the Potidaean explanation of a wave sent by Poseidon, as opposed to authoring the idea. Herodotus only rarely put forth divine explanations for natural phenomena.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Awsome post Mr marketeer
I think that in the future we will find that tsunamis in the med and agean were more common than we think.

One article I have read recently,about early towns on the the coast of turkey, stated that most of the early towns and cities were not right on the coast but were usually a little inland and built on a high bluff or other high spot.
The author theorized that this may have been a reaction to tsunamis, and there have been a lot of really big ones in the agean and eastern med., ones like the one caused by the flank collapse of mt aetna 8k years ago. This would have been during an early formative period for.the peoples of the med basin. According to reaserchers the wave caused by the massive landslide would have catastrophic all across the eastern med and might have swamped the town of Atlit Yam in Israel which was abandoned about that time suddenly.

en.m.wikipedia.org...
Atlit Yam i
The wiki on atlit yam.

I have come the the opinion that maybe troy's ginormous wall weren't a defence against raiders at all but were built to protect the city from the ocean.
Any way what bad luck for the Persians, to be invading and have an offshore earthquake happen.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
For the sake of antagonising the atheists here, I hope you do realise that just because the Wave of Poseidon was a real wave, that doesn't provably imply that Poseidon didn't do it.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
reply to post by thePharaoh

Alexander the Great wouldn't be born for a few more centuries when this battle took place in 479 BC.

ok then

wave of poseidon = army from greece.....comming from the sea

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
i think he just meant

The battle happened in 479 BC. Alexander the Great lived from 356 to 323 BC. a little over a century later. So, exactly how did you wind up equating the two?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I blame the schools

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by thePharaoh
i think he just meant

The battle happened in 479 BC. Alexander the Great lived from 356 to 323 BC. a little over a century later. So, exactly how did you wind up equating the two?

i retracted that comment....

and changed it with "army of greece"....engaging/fighting the persian empire...which was located in the area you mentioned
the reason why i said alexander is that he was a big advocate of the god poseiden over the egyptian gods he was supposed to represent when he was made a pharaoh. which herodutus pften mentions...

peace.

p.s.... no schools teach this #e....

so the term "wave of poseiden" i think relates to a greek army, invading from the sea.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I've heard that if Poseidon were a real being..
It's possible his trident may be some sort of tuning rod, which could be used to create vibrations.

That would explain how he would create such a wave.

I think I heard this from ancient aliens..but it's still an interesting theory even if false

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yendor
I've heard that if Poseidon were a real being..
It's possible his trident may be some sort of tuning rod, which could be used to create vibrations.

That would explain how he would create such a wave.

I think I heard this from ancient aliens..but it's still an interesting theory even if false

It's a nice theory for a cartoon storyboard, but then it would get scrapped before making it to the big screen when they realize it was from the giant haired buffoon from ancient aliens.
Their latest silliness is ufos hunting down dinosaurs to extinction, saw it on a commercial and they wasted cgi time and resources depicting it even. All them bones and not one trace of laser blasts, I want my ten seconds back, hahahaha.

new topics

top topics

join