It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Departmet of Defense Wants.....Your Second grader??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
So we all remember field day in school here in America. The days are warm and school's almost out--a day of fun and games and getting out of class.

Well, my twins are in second grade and their field day is coming up soon. Last night when I was looking through their folders, I found this: (I scanned it and cropped the image to keep the size down. The rest was an order form for camo t-shirts with the event and date. I also blacked out the name of the school for privacy reasons.)

Operation Boot Camp! Brought to you by the D.O.D.

The Department of Defense is sponsoring this event this year?? Am I missing something? I read this to my husband this morning and he said, "Wow, they're really starting them young!"

They're 8! This can't be normal. Is it?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Well? Did you complete the form?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
well...yeah, the shirts are cool looking. LOL

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I dont really have a problem with this as long as there is no kind of indoctrination.

What better way to get little kids(at least boys) to exercise than to play GI Joe?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I've got three nieces and a younger sister in school with field days coming up and none of theirs has anything like this. In fact, theirs are all water related things.

I wonder what is with this at your kids school. I'd be talking to the admin about it.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by tebyen

I wonder what is with this at your kids school. I'd be talking to the admin about it.

Why? All Its just a way to motivate kids... not everything is a government conspiracy. Just like churches use different themes for their summer bible schools. They're just trying to get the kids interested.

Plus the form is voluntary. If they don't want them to go then don't send the form back.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I see no issue with this. Based on personal experience, DoD and military bases offer this stuff for kids all the time. Ive been involved many times....

Is your kid at a DoD school? On a base? Is DoD affiliate nearby?

I just dont see this as odd....esp w/ the lack of more details...
edit on April 20th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The form is for a T-shirt. I don't sign them up for the event--it's their field day. And no, it's just a regular elementary school, no military involved.
edit on 20-4-2012 by CoherentlyConfused because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Looks like you inadvertently signed your kids up for the military, shave their heads and send 'em off!

This is probably just a way for the gov't to make the kids active. nothing to worry about

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I actually doubt that this is sponsored by the Department of Defense. There is no trace of it anywhere else on the web, except for your thread.

It’s not uncommon or illegal for something to state “Department of Defense” is doing ___________. See video games, movies, books, etc…
Probably whoever was in charge of getting the word out about “Commit to be Fit”, just wanted to make everything seem more real.

No conspiracy here…No attempt to brainwash or indoctrinate.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
It plainly states the Department of Defense "Has drafted ALL students".
The only thing optional is whether or not you want to buy a T-shirt.
If it were my child I would complain loudly to the administration about them being in any elementary school for any reason whatsoever.
Yes, they want your child for cannon fodder in their next ill-conceived war.
If you as a parent think that's fine that's your business.
Me, I would have the news crews and every parent aware and make one very large stink about it.

May I ask what state this is in?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

You're right, I think. there's nothing on the school website either, and I did a google search before posting this and found nothing.

I just thought it was pretty intimidating there with that Uncle Sam pointing at me wanting my kids. I will have to talk to the teachers later when I pick them up to see what it's all about.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

South Carolina.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DisIllusioned PatRiot
I dont really have a problem with this as long as there is no kind of indoctrination.

What better way to get little kids(at least boys) to exercise than to play GI Joe?

And you do not see any indoctrination in this? How about conditioning kids for a draft? I guess if you want your kids fighting wars for banksters and oil tycoons have at it.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I don't see too much in this. We already indoctrinate at the high school level with Junior Reserve Officers Training Course (JROTC). They even issue you a DoD Identification Card, teach you Basic Rifle Marksmanship (BRM) and all the qualities it takes to be a leader. Want to know what's even creepier? Each school with the program has a Unit Identification Code (UIC) That's how they locked me in

29INFDIV

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoherentlyConfused
reply to post by Asktheanimals

South Carolina.

Thanks. I've lived there before in both Hardeevilee (near Savannah) and Columbia. Very conservative state, too much so for my tastes even though the people were quite nice.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Yep, seems like an awful lot of fun to me!

No problem with this whatsoever. Get outside, get some exercise, get some sun, and get some cool ammo gear!

My mom was commenting two nights ago about her neighborhood. It is springtime in Missouri. She lives at the back of a nice little subdivision, cul de sacs, no traffic, and tons of kids, surrounded by forest and streams and hills. It was about 6:30 p.m., she was on her porch, and there wasn't a sound to be heard for miles. Where were the kids? No bike riders, no skate boarders, no swingsets, no monkey bars, no walking dogs, no exploring the hillside, nothing! She called me perplexed. There are at least a dozen kids on her road along, and probably 100 in the neighborhood, but on a beautiful spring afternoon, nobody was outside.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I think this was just someone's way to be creative in getting kids to exercise.

At school, we try all sorts of gimmiks to get kids and families involved. My guess is this boot camp is aimed specifically at boys and is simply playing on their inevitable interest in things military.

I would have no problem with my son doing this, if he was interested.

If you're really concerned, just call the school and ask.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
If there was a sinister alterior, ulterior motive, what would, could it be? Could or would it be...

Most U.S. youths unfit to serve, data show

“Kids are just not able to do push-ups,” Gilroy said. “And they can’t do pull-ups. And they can’t run.”

Report Says 75 Percent of Young Americans Unfit for Military Service

"When you get kids who can't do push-ups, pull-ups or run, this is a fundamental problem not just for the military but for the country," said Curtis Gilroy, the Pentagon's director of accessions policy. Many kids are not "taking physical education in school; they're more interested in sedentary activities such as the computer or television. And we have a fast-food mentality in this country."

I sense a conspiracy.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
If it were my child I would complain loudly to the administration about them being in any elementary school for any reason whatsoever.
Yes, they want your child for cannon fodder in their next ill-conceived war.
If you as a parent think that's fine that's your business.
Me, I would have the news crews and every parent aware and make one very large stink about it.

Really? I mean...really? It's just the governments attempt (albeit a poor one) at getting the kids active. MAYBE they are conditioning them, but only to be active and healthy. I don't see any problem here, other than how the government went about advertising. They won't take your kids, they wont brainwash them either, that's what the TV in your house is for.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join