It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Egyptian papyrus found in Brisbane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Before anyone gets excited no its not proof of Egyptians being in Australia 1000's of years ago.

Part of The Book of the dead has turned up in a Brisbane museum, its believed to be the missing part of the manuscript which was found in an Egyptian nobles tomb and is dated to 1420BC.
It was donated to the museum 100 years ago by a local woman.

Archeologists are excited as they have never found the complete book but believe this may be it

Not proof of ancient Egyptians in Australia but exciting news never the less.

Check out the full article

Ancient Egyptian manuscript found in Brisbane
edit on 20-4-2012 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

The religious parchment is believed to have been buried with a top Egyptian official who lived in 1420 BC.

And then somehow got to Australia and in the hands of aunt Edna... ?

The museum is now trying to track down her family.

Don't blame them.

How the hell did it find it's way to QLD over 100 years ago?!
In 1912 Qld wasn't the most amazing place to be. Sydney and Melbourne had established quite a bit, but QLD?

Can't wait to read the news once they track down the family and find out the back story.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
this is interesting! there are heirogliphics in australia. i own a copy of the book of the dead translated by wallice budge,and i was always under the impression that it was complete and was taken from the papyrus of Ani.
well i guess you never stop learning! thanx for the post.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noinoi

It's called tourism. And yes, they still had it, back then. It was just more rare, and slower. Aunt Edna was probably fairly well heeled, I'm guessing.

The scenario, however, is that she goes over to Egypt at the time, sails up and down the Nile, perhaps; visits what little was known of the ruins back then, meets some locals, possibly gets drunk...and somewhere along the way, comes across an unofficial souvenir. At first she thinks wow, awesome, sticks it in her purse, and brings it back to Australia.

Then a few months or years later, either she has an attack of conscience, or Lord Anubis gets upset with her, and decides to haunt her house in return for stealing his #, in which case she'd realise she needs to get rid of the book in order to also get rid of the haunting. (And yes, it has happened. The Khemetic Gods are no joke, and they can get very upset with you if you take their artifacts without their approval)

Book gets handed into museum. Case closed.
edit on 20-4-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I love those news articles. they tell you about discovering old text on a scroll but never tell us what the scroll says. Why do they hide this stuff from the general public. Maybe it contains a recipe for some kick a$$ wine that they are going to sell to a winery for big bucks.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
this is interesting! there are heirogliphics in australia. i own a copy of the book of the dead translated by wallice budge,and i was always under the impression that it was complete and was taken from the papyrus of Ani.
well i guess you never stop learning! thanx for the post.

Hadnt the QLD hieroglyphs been proven to be fake?

I vaguely remember reading something along those lines but even before reading they were fake I always thought it was kinda dodgy that dude Rex Gilroy was always finding ancient stuff and no one else was.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reficul:

this is interesting! there are heirogliphics in australia.

Are you talking about cave paintings etc that the Aborigines did?

petrus4:

The scenario, however, is that she goes over to Egypt at the time, sails up and down the Nile, perhaps; visits what little was known of the ruins back then, meets some locals, possibly gets drunk...and somewhere along the way, comes across an unofficial souvenir. At first she thinks wow, awesome, sticks it in her purse, and brings it back to Australia.

Yeah, I can see that happening hypothetically. But "The Book Of The Dead"? I'll be waiting for the follow up once they track down the family.

...or Lord Anubis gets upset with her, and decides to haunt her house in return for stealing his #, in which case she'd realise she needs to get rid of the book in order to also get rid of the haunting. (And yes, it has happened. The Khemetic Gods are no joke, and they can get very upset with you if you take their artifacts without their approval)

If you're being serious here, I assume you believe in Egyptian 'Esotericism' aka Egyptian polytheism.
I don't want to derail the nature of the thread/OP, but if you have some evidence of the existence of said entities cracking the sads, please throw it my way.
edit on 20-4-2012 by Noinoi because: Phrasing.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Port Said was a place most ships transiting the Suez canal stopped at - British travelers to Indian, Asia and of course Oz would have stopped there

Its possible that they would have bought an antiquity at this store

The great store

It's also possible it was given as a gift or that the family is in some way related to an Egyptogist or other even an antiquarian librarian from the 19th century

Things like this often show up, people obtain, borrow or steal stuff that later shows up....someday 'Cardenio' may be found

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

If you're being serious here, I assume you believe in Egyptian 'Esotericism' aka Egyptian polytheism.
I don't want to derail the nature of the thread/OP, but if you have some evidence of the existence of said entities cracking the sads, please throw it my way.

I've read some accounts, I will say that much. Aside from the Howard Carter/Lord Canarvon incident, there was another case of an Englishwoman I think it was, a number of years ago. It was a particular artefact; at first I thought a throne, because I did seem to remember a chair...but I think it must have been something else.

She had a haunting. Things moving I think...some vocalisations...very vivid dreams, where she was seeing Egyptian figures. From memory it continued until she got rid of the artifact.

I also knew someone on another forum who ended up becoming a devotee of Set, one of the Egyptian Gods, and he mentioned some of the visions he had had, since being initially approached.

There was also an odd coincidence in my own recent past; I was thinking of Anubis one afternoon, completely randomly...when I hadn't for years, even though I had a big interest in Egyptology as a kid. Then my younger brother gets home from a holiday in Europe maybe a week later, and he's got a present for me; a statue of Anubis, which was hand made in Spain, of all places. A bit far afield for an Egyptian God, you would think.
edit on 20-4-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
At first glance to this topic I was slightly confused, as I had understood the "Book of the Dead" was never a single, canonical text but rather an ever-evolving set of texts that began with the Pyramid texts, adding the Coffin texts, and assorted painted illustrations of spells and journeying through the duat on numerous tomb walls throughout a long period of time. But this article is pertaining to a specific collection of manuscript fragments in the British Museum that was missing a part, which they had found in Australia. An important find as it completes a single example of the Book of the Dead circa 1420 BC, which will add to the overall picture of Egyptian funerary rites.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Yeah, some of those old hieroglyphics are fake. They are nowhere near five thousand years old. Some are just way too old to be created by the people who were supposed to have created them.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Noinoi

i have no evidence at all! all i have is E.A Wallis Budge's transalation of the book of the dead taken from Ani the scribe from the second half of the XVIII dynasty! i like all things egypt,but i do not 'follow' the beliefs of the ancients. well maybe thoth(hermes) that is hermetica. and also crowley's interpretation of the tarot in his book of thoth.
i read somewhere about the hieroglyphics in australia,thats all.didn't folloe up,but the op said they were fake! i really don't know
what about the heiroglyphics found in arizona?or the mummies they found in egypt with cocain in their system?(coca plant only grows in south america) or the south american mummies with T.B. in their system.?(T.B. was brought by white people to south america) lots to learn i guess eh!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

isn't there a 'satanic' church of set in america? set was osiris's evil bro who cut him up no?
and as for anubis being made in spain,well i have a well crafted anubis tattood on my leg done right here in good ole canada!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

reply to post by petrus4

isn't there a 'satanic' church of set in america? set was osiris's evil bro who cut him up no?
and as for anubis being made in spain,well i have a well crafted anubis tattood on my leg done right here in good ole canada!!!

I suppose Anubis gets around.

Although yes, some of Big Red's devotees are sometimes considered...confused.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

reply to post by petrus4

Ol set got a bad rep over the years, whether from christians attacking him as a demon or robert e howard turning him into an evil god, to of course the cults of other gods making him into osirus's murderer.

i guess it can get worse than having a jackal head. where did the idea that anubis was from spain come from? i've never heard anything like that

from my understanding there was lots of grave robbing during the late 19th century, up to the 1920's. people bought and sold mummies, it was a sad time for archaeology and the egyptian people, having their ancestors pillaged.
the loss of so much egyptian history is just heart-breaking, i'm glad we even have what we do have.

edit on 22-4-2012 by demongoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by demongoat

i think the op said they got a statue of anubis from spain!
and set cut his brother osiris up into little pieces and scattered them though out egypt,and isis found his penis and used it to impregnate herself and she bore the child horus,which is what crowley claimed to be the new aeon we are entering now (2012),the age of the child,and awakening!
i remember this dude on the sally jesse rapheal show (old!!!) saying he was the head of the church of set,and they followed satan! he had these crazy eyebrows that pointed up like horns!
i thought the guy was a quack!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
www.meta-religion.com...reply to post by demongoat

heres a link,but i think i may have screwed up! if so mods please remove

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

It's called tourism. And yes, they still had it, back then. It was just more rare, and slower. Aunt Edna was probably fairly well heeled, I'm guessing.

Then a few months or years later, either she has an attack of conscience, or Lord Anubis gets upset with her, and decides to haunt her house in return for stealing his #, in which case she'd realise she needs to get rid of the book in order to also get rid of the haunting. (And yes, it has happened. The Khemetic Gods are no joke, and they can get very upset with you if you take their artifacts without their approval)

Book gets handed into museum. Case closed.

Possible, but more likely it was dug up in Egypt by someone in her family.

Brits (among many others) were digging all over Egypt back then and walking away with priceless artifacts left and right. It was a good-sized cottage industry.

Great Grandpa digs it up (along with several other items he ends up selling) then later emigrates to Australia.

Great Granddaughter finds what's left of the stolen booty (the partial manuscript) and turns it over to the Museum.

Harte

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

reply to post by demongoat

i think the op said they got a statue of anubis from spain!
and set cut his brother osiris up into little pieces and scattered them though out egypt,and isis found his penis and used it to impregnate herself and she bore the child horus,which is what crowley claimed to be the new aeon we are entering now (2012),the age of the child,and awakening!
i remember this dude on the sally jesse rapheal show (old!!!) saying he was the head of the church of set,and they followed satan! he had these crazy eyebrows that pointed up like horns!
i thought the guy was a quack!

i don't believe the OP said anything about a statue of anubis from spain. someone else did, and it looks like it was made there. hardly proof of anubis being a god there, i have stuff made in odd places, they make american flags in china after all.
yeah i know that story, it is a late story created to discredit sets' worshipers. horus is older than either osirus or set. i believe he goes back closer to pre-dynasty times, while set and osirus are younger.

i don't think you can believe anything people say on talk shows, i think the ToS is just as atheistic and self-centered as the CoS, ie: set represents something inside us not a real god.

edit on 28-4-2012 by demongoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

www.meta-religion.com...reply to post by demongoat

heres a link,but i think i may have screwed up! if so mods please remove

a link to what?

top topics

join