It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to amend the Constitution?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Mods move if you would like.

The Constitution is supposed to be a balance of power between states and federal government. It was made for the reason, as Sir John Acton wrote "Power tends to corrupt, absolute power corrupts absolutely". In this day the check and balance system has literally been thrown under the window. This lack of accountability comes from corporations as any bloke can see.

States are now required to abide by the federal government's plans for them. If the feds want a state law to pass, it is going to. States are tied to federal funding, and this surely isn't going to end well. The feds usually want a state laws to pass because of lobbying "pressure" from corporations. Naturally, you have to assume this is leading into a new era. One that the government is the corporations. Corporations do not abide by the constitution. So here is my question. Is it time to amend the Constitution of the United States to include a new balance system for corporations, and what they are allowed to do?

I understand that many of us on here are hardcore conservatives. I myself would enjoy a "ton" more freedoms. But maybe it is time to tie down the corporations so they cannot interfere with our well being. They are, IMO, getting worse about stepping on us daily.

Off to you ATS. ::

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

Since a global corporate influence controls more of any real political choice in America, than the sum of all of "We the People." How could a Constitutional Convention, which is probably the only way our Constitution could be changed, turn out well for the average American , since the convention itself would be controlled by the very same corporate elitists?? We would lose more than we would gain.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I think we would first have to FOLLOW our constitution. We circumvent it all the time for any dumb excuse. Yesterday it was the red threat, today it's the extremist threat, tomorrow aliens or whatever boogey man they can think of.

We need to establish it as the highest law of the land again

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Our contry was founded upon a republic, not a democracy.

If you look up the difference between the two, you will clearly see that this proud nation, which started off as a true republic has now moved into the area of democracy.

This - I beleive - is the root cause of many of our problems today. Poloticians and people alike appear to be under the assumption that we are a democracy, when that is just not the case.

No adjustment to the constitution is necessary - people just need to take another look at what this country was built upon, and rip down the shotty structure that has been built upon the foundation. This will allow for the rebuilding of our country under the guidance of our founding fathers ideas.

The very reason they left England was for the very same reasons that the American people are so upset today.

The key is for people to remember history, before we the people are doomed to repeat it.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

Yes, it should be amended to say, any amendment to the constitution is an act of war against the American people

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

It is a Democratic Republic in which the Rule of Law is governed and applied by democratically elected representatives of the people.

Edit to add:

A lot of people don't realize the difference. In a Republic, the law represents everyone equally. In a true Democracy, it is, well, chaos. In a true Democracy, the majority (aka The Mob) rules and the voice of the small group or the individual is discarded. Only in a Republic is the Law supposed to be equal and unprejudiced in it's application.

If we were a true Democracy, we would not have had civil rights and women's suffrage as the majority of voices at those points in history were against them.
edit on 4/20/2012 by Damrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Damrod

I agree -

I am not saying we are in a true democracy - I am saying it appears that laws and train of thought is being directed by people who think we are, and are acting accordingly.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

I think the simpler solution is to return to the ideas of the Constitution. Might I suggest some reading? My good friend Jean Paul Zodeaux (here on ATS by that name) turned me on to Frederic Bastiat's The Law. It is quite incredible.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover
reply to post by ventian

I think the simpler solution is to return to the ideas of the Constitution. Might I suggest some reading? My good friend Jean Paul Zodeaux (here on ATS by that name) turned me on to Frederic Bastiat's The Law. It is quite incredible.

Absolutely!

We need to abolish anything, any power....any law...that is not outlined in the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and the Declaration Of Independence. These are the Documents of who we are. Everything else is a lie, a joke or and intentional manipulation.

Who are we without freedom? We are just another country.....when once we were the beacon of the world....

Our experiment worked until the Robber Barons figured out how to cheat an innocent system....sad, sad day. But the Robber barons will always be with us...those that want plenty for little....something for no sweat or effort....those that want to manipulate or blatantly rule the weak and infirm. They are a cancer and should be put in their place....but not by law....by the citizens they seek to control. If we invoke laws, it gets so complicated...we fall into traps of "past precedence" and crapola like that.

No, it is NOT time to amend the Constitution. It is one of the wisest and most intelligent documents ever written...it lives and breathes...it applies as much today as it ever did. It is second only to theological texts in it's ability to apply across the ages.

If we do start tampering with the foundation of who we are....then we won't be that anymore...and at that point...we should nuke ourselves....because hope will have died when the great dream...the great experiment (which is our Republic) is stopped or changed...leave that which is not broken alone....

The Republic is not broken....it is those trying to control it that are damaged property
edit on 4/20/2012 by Damrod because: spelling

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

Twenty-seven acts of war against the American people since 1789? Really?!

IMO we need a couple of amendments added.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Here's a thought... Instead of complaining about the constitution being changed.... Why don't we just start boycotting certain companies... Get everyone on board with boycotts and go that way?

Or are we too attached to our iPhones for that?

Seriously, we dont want a solution as a people because its too convenient to get a Cheeseburger at 3am now a days

We are the ones who put the corporations in the power position they are in..
edit on 20-4-2012 by DrNotforhire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
We should have never stopped amending the Constitution. The last meaningful amendment passed was in 1971 giving anyone 18 years of age or older the right to vote.

To think, over 40 YEARS later, no amendments have been made (other than one essentially worthless amendment).

The world has changed so much in the last 10 years, let alone 40.

edit on 20-4-2012 by MiddleClassWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
Mods move if you would like.

The Constitution is supposed to be a balance of power between states and federal government. It was made for the reason, as Sir John Acton wrote "Power tends to corrupt, absolute power corrupts absolutely". In this day the check and balance system has literally been thrown under the window. This lack of accountability comes from corporations as any bloke can see.

States are now required to abide by the federal government's plans for them. If the feds want a state law to pass, it is going to. States are tied to federal funding, and this surely isn't going to end well. The feds usually want a state laws to pass because of lobbying "pressure" from corporations. Naturally, you have to assume this is leading into a new era. One that the government is the corporations. Corporations do not abide by the constitution. So here is my question. Is it time to amend the Constitution of the United States to include a new balance system for corporations, and what they are allowed to do?

I understand that many of us on here are hardcore conservatives. I myself would enjoy a "ton" more freedoms. But maybe it is time to tie down the corporations so they cannot interfere with our well being. They are, IMO, getting worse about stepping on us daily.

Off to you ATS. ::

Yes tying down and REGULATING corporations just is the answer. Only in the sense of limiting their power. Not necessarily destroying their ability to make money.

But I would suggest that any and all people who think that the constitution ought to be amended are simple selfish and mindless people who know nothing about their constitution or the real reasons for it's creation.

Whenever I hear that question posed, I know that ignorance is hard at work.

You can only find out by reading and studying the documents from that day and understanding the arguments.

That by itself is extremely hard for our sub par educated people. By that I mean they lack the skills to delve in depth into the real issues. This is the fault of our educational system, not particularly the individuals' fault.

What those original guys did was set up a system, that IF adhered to would always thwart tyranny. They knew it well. You do not. You only have a mental abstraction with no fact to compare it to.

I would suggest that those who have this appearance of setting up another tyranny know it well also, and simply don't give a crap. Deconstructing our constitution only plays into their hands.

The constitution and rights are designed to limit government in favor of the populace. Each and every change that denigrates or limits those principles and rights simply negate the constitutions ability to protect the citizenry. WHO would do such a thing? Would a friend do this? Would someone assigned to look out for your true safety and security and basic freedoms do this? Sounds doubtful to me.

Just because waayyy too many people ignore the constitution and try to circumvent it, short circuit it, negate it in any way they can, it is not an instance of proof that something is wrong with the constitution, but that something is wrong with those people. Simply because the legislative bodies have ignored their mandate, does not mean that the mandate is wrong. I don't know how people can get that confused.

1. form a more perfect Union, FAILURE

2. establish Justice, FAILURE

3. insure domestic Tranquility, FAILURE

4. provide for the common defense, FAILURE

5. promote the general Welfare, FAILURE

6. and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity BIG TIME FAILURE

Those are the mandates.

Plus the Senate has more that are particular to that body.

They do not say: Fool the idiot public into believing this is all horse crap...

They do not say: Fool the idiot public into believing that there is an Arab Terrorist, or dozens of them in everyone's neighborhood everywhere all the time...

So that we can take the idiots over take away their rights and eliminate all that we care to at will,.

So are the people letting this fall away stupid? Or are these purposeful developments?

Buggering up the Constitution is not the answer.

Either a rational approach or muskets and bayonets will be required to fix things.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by akalepos

Dear Akelepos,

I have, for years, thought this way as well. The ignorant masses do not see eye to eye with me and you. Hence; we have only one thing left to do. Amending the Constitution provides an ability for people to change life for the better. We in America will not take a rational approach, nor will we pick up our muskets and go after the tyranny. 90% of people who are willing to actually do something such as this could never fire a shot. I myself have killed a deer, I cannot imagine killing a human being unless I am directly threatened. The government is ignoring the principles on which this country was founded on everyday. People literally get beat for protesting and practicing their right to freedom of speech. These same people go to a media who ignores their pleas for help. The founding fathers did not make a perfect document. They could have never seen this coming. This is the most rational approach as it is the only approach people are willing to take. I hate to say it, and I am sure you hate to hear it, but that is what we have. The NDAA passed and no one knows what it is, and when I tell them about it, they could care less. The CISPA comes up which will allow the federal government to do what google has been doing all along. You are correct, people are selfish and ignorant; but what can you do? What is your idea, as this is up for discussion and I am willing to learn. In the meantime, people will still be people. ::

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

I actually prefer a rational approach. The prospect of untrained people shooting weapons doesn't sound real good... especially considering that they probably cannot identify the real enemy.

If you were to study both the federalist and anti federalist papers you would understand that they did indeed anticipate that this would happen. They warned about it repeatedly. They warned of many things that the people have not heeded, and so have allowed themselves to be overcome... though the just don't notice it yet and cannot take seriously the rain clouds on the horizon any more.

What they knew... was that the same types of people pulling this crap on us today, would not give up until they had control. They also said that if we did not remain diligent, that these things would happen.

They were not talking about "times" or any other such low level garbage. If you read them, you will discover this for yourself. They were talking about HUMAN ACTION which never changes because we are all afraid to evolve.

Those people were more intelligent than the best academics you can find today.
If the people remain ignorant they will suffer, and I believe they will...

So we might as well market arsenic soap that they can take to the fema camps with them in preparation for their cyanide showers.

If our people had been made to study the proper writings and took the ideas on for themselves, then we would probably be unable to talk of these things in earnest. Discussions like these would have been laughable in the 60's.

I figure that if it gets bad enough, and I hope it NEVER does, then people like yourself will have to either do that which you wish you never had to, or become a bullet trap. That choice will be yours, not mine.

The true warrior only kills from necessity, the same as the true hunter.

But again, I insist that I personally prefer the rational approach.

I think our constitution and system it set up for us is in fact the most perfect that any group of humans could have come up with. Certainly the current dimmy dum dums couldn't handle it.

Change it at the risk of your life, and the lives of all you hold dear.

BTW... Thank you for your response. I am not trying to be disagreeable here, only trying to steer you toward the real answers. Take Care!

edit on 21-4-2012 by akalepos because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-4-2012 by akalepos because: message to ventian

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by akalepos

Thank you for your input akalepos. I have no problem with disagreement as long as they remain civil. I don't have much time to look at the papers but when I get some time I will check them out. Thank you for your time in this thread. I believe we all just want positive change in this situation.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

Do you really think the corprate funded Gov would allow our only representation of our rights to be amended to anything but their advantage?

If you attempt it say gooodby to the right to bear arms, the freedom of speech, the right to be secure in your person, we are losing them already yet you are throwing away our only chance to get theose rights back with both hands.

new topics

top topics

join