It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popocatepetl Volcano Nightmare: 19 Million Prepare to Evacuate in Mexico?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mee30
Hmmm I wonder how much co2 this thing is spewing out? Why haven't the governments of the world instilled a volcano tax?

Oh my god! Don't give them ideas!! We might all be paying for this one day!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Everyone is looking for UFOs in the pics......look what I just found.....

edit on 21-4-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

It's a hidden Mickey!!! omg

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Sorry...it's late, I'm punchy and wanted to lighten the mood...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I'm sure it has been covered:

The scariest danger is that word they invented, something to do with concrete rivers?

Lahars

And the volcano, along with its ice cap, is capable of producing massive lahars or mud flows. The last serious eruption was 500 years ago, he says. A hazard risk map produced in 2001 by Mexican and US researchers shows that such flows could hit populated areas, but definitely not Mexico City The blue areas are cities and towns; red and yellow are flood zones of different severity.

Yah, we'll see about that. Volacanoes almost always do what they are expected to...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Hi I have a quick question or two if anyone can answer me I would be very appreciative. I have family in the city of Poza Rica approximately 200km NE of the volcano, if this thing blows is my family at risk of being hit by the ash cloud? If so, at 200km out how sever could it be in a worst case scenario?

I looked up some prevailing winds maps and it seems as though the wind would most likely carry the ash cloud in a SW, W, or NW direction, but I'm not sure, thanks in advance.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
Everyone is looking for UFOs in the pics......look what I just found.....

It's a hidden Mickey!!! omg

Honestly, do not doubt it. That is one rich mouse, and my collective family probably spends 20k a year there. Makes sense that the mouse can afford advertising in a volcano, almost surreal. Love the simily

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

I feel your pain.....my family is addicted too...

I wouldn't put it past that mouse to mark the volcano as his own...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
reply to post by charlyv

I feel your pain.....my family is addicted too...

I wouldn't put it past that mouse to mark the volcano as his own...

Cool, and we are in the same boat.... Imagine that money invested in Apple or Gold over the last decade....

Addendum: Ok , off topic, but give it a break for what it is worth.
edit on 21-4-2012 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I saw that one too, but that station is over on the Baja peninsula and not likely to be of much use in monitoring the volcano.

reply to post by steve95988

I just messaged TrueAmerican about this to see if he knows of any publicly available stations which would show seismic activity at the volcano.

There is a program out there for free called GEE, Global Earthquake Explorer which can be used to monitor seismographs, but I don't know if the stations at the volcano are accessible from the program.

If anyone would know, TA would. If the stations are not accessible from GEE, he may be able to access the feeds from them as he has a pro-level bit of software with which he has been monitoring a volcano in Alaska. See the thread, Coming Face to Face With An Escalating Volcano from 5000km Away for details of that volcano.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Wow i can't even imagine Mexico's infastructure is able to evacuate 19 million people. Talk about your logistics nightmare, the poor people in the slums would probably be screwed. On the bright side Mexico City being 40 miles away should save it from the worst of the effects like lava.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
here is the web cam to watch it - it sure is pretty at night (from 1000 miles away) cheers!

Popo Web Cam

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Too bad nuclear energy is safer than coal. But okay. You are ignorant.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Some good photos of the popo

fotos.eluniversal.com.mx...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Because I believe Volcanic activity and Earthquake activity are related and come hand in hand I believe my area, The New Madrid may feel a shaking if indeed this one erupts.

books.google.com... 6gzYiJeMV0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=bbiST5z1DZHk6QHT0qWFBA&ved=0CEsQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=Popocatepetl%20and%20new%20madrid%20related&f=false

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeThinking
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Too bad nuclear energy is safer than coal. But okay. You are ignorant.

Tell that to the people in Chernobyl and Fukushima. lol I dont usually engage in debates with children such as yourself but i'll give it a shot today.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Hi,
You know after reading just a few "chapters" of the above book,,
it truly makes me ashamed.
Too call THIS, present day and age, time period, that we are now in,
mankinds best ???
and brightest,?????
So damn ignorant,
I mean they KNEW this stuff 200 years AGO!,,,
such observational skills,,precise detailing,,astounding! 200 years AGO!,,,
And what do we get from todays crop of humanity,,for instance,,,
Q.
"vents being observed for the first in volcanic areas,,what do you think,,,?"
A.
"picks or it didn't happen"/hoax/not possible/scam/fraud/idiot/no credability/,,,and it just ,never ends,.

So damn ignorant,

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by WielderOfTheSwordOfTruth

That would depend on how violent the eruption is. In a severe eruption they may deal with ash (depending on wind etc) with a small eruption they will never see any. All that depends on the volcano itself. It is good to be prepared, but I would not think necessary to over-react. Besides, although small amounts of ash is nasty, if you are prepared for possible ash not life threatening, just nasty. It is only huge amounts that are dangerous.

"The El Chichón eruption was one of the largest volcanic eruptions of the 20th century, exceeded only by the 1991 Mt. Pinatubo eruption in the Philippines in terms of the amount of volcanic gases and particulates entering the stratosphere. Ash fell over a wide area, from Campeche to San Cristóbal de las Casas in Chiapas." (cities located 410 Km apart)

If I were your family I would think they should be concerning themselves is how to help all those who will evacuate the immediate danger area, they will probably be going to locations such as ones similar to where your family lives. (outside of the immediate danger areas)

edit on 21-4-2012 by Jameela because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I have taken 800+ frames from the webcam and made it into a time laps. The server was sluggish so the flow jumps here and there. I have dubbed some sound under it to give it some atmosphere so the sound aint accurate.

Nonetheless it gives a good idea what the volcano was up to this morning.

enjoy

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Here's the latest pics from the cam I'm watching....I re-freshed over and over... This is all I'm getting...

Here's the cam link
www.cenapred.unam.mx...

Ok...I'm on my iPad and I cannot find where I can upload to photobucket to post pic.

2-3hrs ago you could see the volcano on cam...now you can't see anything but grey clouds...ash...ect

I'm wondering if something is going on....

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Have a look at this. Think it is recent.

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join