It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popocatepetl Volcano Nightmare: 19 Million Prepare to Evacuate in Mexico?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
The worst nightmare ever? Popocatepetl Volcano threatening to erupt, causing Mexican officials to raise the alert level from yellow phase three to yellow phase two. Authorities in Mexico haven't issued an evacuation yet, but they are keeping a very close eye on the Popocatepetl Volcano. Mexico is currently at level five on the warning scale. (There are 7 levels on the scale). Popocatepetl is one of the highest active volcanoes of the world, rising up higher than 5,000 meters above sea level. An explosion, which could occur anytime, would be catastrophic for all areas around it.

The agency said the area has been closed to visitors and urged people to stay at least seven miles (12 kilometers) from the crater, which is about 40 miles (65 kilometers) southeast of Mexico's capital. It also recommended that people in the surrounding areas clean ash from weak rooftops and to cover their mouths to avoid inhaling it.

Source:
theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com... /

www.inquisitr.com...

www.csmonitor.com...

Stay calm, "Popo".... stay calm.

edit on 20/4/12 by masqua because: Added ex tags for external content, plus a link to that content

edit on 21/4/12 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
OMG I hope it clams down, If this thing goes ...it would be devestating

Best of luck to all in Mexico

God bless you all

Teye22
edit on 20-4-2012 by Teye22 because: correction

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Here is an article and more information from University of Buffalo about this volcano. They created a detailed map of the area that would be in the risk area for avalanches and mud flow.

Popocatepetl -- located just 60 kilometers from Mexico City and considered the planet's riskiest volcano

New Risk Map

Web Cam
edit on 20-4-2012 by CINY8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Some additional information from a mexican government site handeling the news about the volcano which should clarify the situation atm a bit:

The traffic light alert signal remains in Yellow Phase 3. This level implies: 1. Announcing the situation and measures taken to the public and the media.2. Prepare personnel, equipment and evacuation shelters. 3. Implement specific measures in the most vulnerable.4. Implement preventive measures against ash fall, lahars and against fragments in vulnerable regions.5. Alert air navigation systems.6. Limit access to the volcano over a larger area. Popocatepetl Volcano is monitored continuously. The next report will be edited tomorrow at 07:00 h (local time).

source: SECGOB

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

HOLY JUNK!!! EVERYONE GET OUT OF THERE!! ITS GIVING WARNING SIGNS!

ALL THROUGHOUT HISTORY THE VOLCANO ALWAYS GIVES TONS OF WARNING!!!

EVERYONE GET THE *** OUT NOWWWWWWW

SALGAN DE AYEE EL VOLCANO TE STA DANDO SENALES!!!!!!!!!!!

SIEMPRE IN HISTORIA NUNCA ACAVA BIEN!!!!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Before we push the panic button, people should be aware that this volcano erupted as recently as 2000 and tens of thousands, not millions, of people were safely evacuated.

The volcano's last major eruption occurred in 2000, forcing the evacuation of tens of thousands of residents who live at the base of the peak. Volcanic activity has increased this year, and experts say that while it is a scary prospect, it can help prevent a larger-scale disaster as the plumes of water and ash release mounting pressure.

Source: Drug violence? Mexicans say Popocatepetl is a bigger concern.

While scientists are acknowledging an increase in earthquakes, there is nothing that indicates that an eruption will be any more dire than any other time it erupted.

Further:

Popocatepetl is one of the most violent volcanoes in Mexico, having had more than 15 major eruptions since the arrival of the Spanish in 1519. A major eruption occurred in 1947 to begin this cycle of activity. Then, on December 21, 1994, the volcano spewed gas and ash which was carried as far as 25 km (16 mi) away by prevailing winds. The activity prompted the evacuation of nearby towns and scientists to begin monitoring for an eruption. In December 2000, tens of thousands of people were evacuated by the government based on the warnings of scientists. The volcano then made its largest display in 1,200 years.[11][12][13]

Source: Popocatépetl

This is something to watch, but unless it is the worst eruption in history, and nothing states it surely will be, there is no reason to state this as some catastrophic world-ending eruption in the making.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Go here to see LIVE webcam from the volcano:

www.cenapred.unam.mx...

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I found this old article from 1996, but the following still applies, imo:

Michael F. Sheridan, a University of Buffalo geologist who last year joined Siebe and others in preparing a comprehensive hazards map for the volcano, said this week: "The chances of a major eruption are greater when a volcano goes into another strong pulse like we are seeing."

But he added, "Before this could happen, we would see many more warning signs. I would expect before a big eruption there would be a lot more seismicity and ground deformation, and we haven't seen that yet. But the sulfur emission is tremendous."

Popocatepetl has had 16 eruptive periods since the Spanish arrived in Mexico in 1519, but none have caused a major loss of life or property.

More than 20 million people live within a 62-mile radius of the volcano's cone; Mexico City is 40 miles to the northwest.

1996 Source
I don't know how strong the sulphur smell is in the current episode, but I just put this up there to show how long they've been observing this and developing plans. I just wish we could see the predicted mudflow map.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Your thread title is a tad misleading. The souce says 19 million "affected" and I figure that's from mostly the ash to fall and settle all over the region. But thanks for the update on the volcano. It will erupt, it's just a question of when.

Here's another pic.

edit on 20-4-2012 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
one of the most interesting things is that UFO are constantly seen near the popocatepetl

Here are live pictures of the Volcano

www.cenapred.unam.mx...

www.cenapred.unam.mx...

www.cenapred.unam.mx...

And here is the oficial page of the Volcano

www.cenapred.unam.mx...

edit on 20-4-2012 by lke123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by lke123
one of the most interesting things is that UFO are constantly seen near the popocatepetl

Do you know that POPO in spanish means #?. In english the name would be: #catepetl

Unfortunately that doesn't appear to have anything to do with the actual name of the volcano....

en.wikipedia.org...

Toponymy
The name Popocatepetl comes from the Nahuatl words popōca 'it smokes' and tepētl 'mountain', meaning Smoking Mountain. The name Don Goyo comes from the mountain's association in the lore of the region with San Gregorio (St. Gregory), "Goyo" being a nickname-like short form of Gregorio.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Hmmm I wonder how much co2 this thing is spewing out? Why haven't the governments of the world instilled a volcano tax?

Hopefully everyone will be ok and make it out safely. I think if I were there and had he means I would just get the hell out NOW!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I hope that the volcano settles without major adverse incident.

Whenever I hear about these events, I am reminded of the book by James Herbert, 'Portent'.

It was the first 'horror' type book I ever read, it really stuck with me.

Have any orbs been seen there this year/month?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I feel sorry for these people. I hope nobody is seriously injured or killed.

On a side note, it's time to ramp up your uninsured motorist coverage, because I'm guessing there will be a significant percentage of these people heading illegally to the U.S.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
There has been increased quake activity in Mexico which might have upset this monster volcano, if it erupts it's going to be a global nightmare/

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Hopefully everyone makes it out safe. That volcano doesnt look happy. I hope this does not lead to more earthquakes/eruptions
edit on 20-4-2012 by gunmetal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I doubt it will erupt.

let's send a team composed of our world leaders up to the top and have them do a long term investigation...

Meanwhile evacuate the people from the cities nearby..

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Wouldn't most of the ash drift east of Mexico City, towards the Gulf and upwards? Where in the U.S. would the path of the ash be once it gets in a higher altitude?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join