It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dissolve Self As A Drop Dissolves Into The Ocean

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
The basic function of the Self is to find problems, or imperfections. Therefore, self-hood invariably results in anxiety. This is really an issue of identification, because if you can look at it from a perspective that is free of identification, you could re-state, in another way, that the function of the self is to innovate and find improvements. This non-self, the Ocean which the Self is a drop within, benefits from the anxiety and dissatisfaction created by the infinite variations of self-hood, by means of its experiencing all of the innovations and improvements created by the various selfs within its Self, being unattached to it all. The Ocean experiences the solution within every problem. The separate self, however, moves from one dissatisfaction to another. It creates a dilemma, and then either solves it or does not solve it. If it is not solved, you will either continue to dwell on it, or that problem will instead become a dissatisfaction within your subconscious, and your conscious mind will find a new problem to worry about. If it is solved, your mind will seek out new imperfections, and the process will repeat. Ultimately, the problem of never-ending anxiety comes back to the self. The self, by its nature, can never be satisfied. It must be given up, but this is not a negation. Rather, this is fulfillment beyond the capabilities of the Self.

The Self seeks to possess. But a thing can only possess something smaller than it. We must, instead, be possessed by something much larger than us. Call this God, call this Love, or call this the Ocean which we are but one drop within. Whatever you want to call it, dissolve yourself within it, and be taken over completely by it. Let no remnants of your self remain. When you are dissolved, you are still not the whole ocean; where, then, will you go? The energies, or the water droplets, sort themselves out perfectly, without each individual drop needing to do anything. The drop trying to do something, in fact, puts it in disharmony with the whole ocean. You cannot be fulfilled when you are in disharmony with the whole. When the self is dissolved in the ocean, when your energies become a part of an infinitely flowing energy-field, you become a part of an incredible harmony, and the whole sorts you perfectly within itself. This leads to fulfillment beyond what you are capable of, or can even conceive of really. There is no need for fear of losing the things which you perceive to be desirable functions of the Self; when you allow yourself to be possessed and sorted by the whole, it naturally aligns you according to your True Will. Your True Will is in line with the whole, and it is what you REALLY want anyways; it is better than the ideas conceived of by your self, or ego. But only when you are out of the way can your True Will come to fruition.
edit on 20-4-2012 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
That " oneness " we all crave and have been robbed of

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by dude69

It is the craving that is the separation. The human craves more! But it is already complete until it believes it isn't. The human mind always wants some 'thing', it looks to the 'things' to complete itself when it should look directly at itself.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
How do you deal with sympathy and empathy, of lets say someone being tortured or dying a slow agonizing death? How do you deal with being witness to injustices and sadism? Eastern thought is always about the sole individual finding oneness or bliss (imo, selfish in a way). What do you do about someone else's true/real suffering?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by trika3000

You can not feel someone elses suffering, the only suffering you will feel is your own. You can imagine that it is someone elses suffering that you feel but you will never experience anything but yourself.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by trika3000
How do you deal with sympathy and empathy, of lets say someone being tortured or dying a slow agonizing death? How do you deal with being witness to injustices and sadism? Eastern thought is always about the sole individual finding oneness or bliss (imo, selfish in a way). What do you do about someone else's true/real suffering?

What do you do about someone else's true/real suffering? Does feeling bad provide any relief for them? Isn't the only purpose of feeling bad to put your ego at rest, knowing that you feel bad about all the suffering going on, so therefore you're a good person?(better than the selfish Eastern types) If anything sense of self/ego can get in the way of you taking action to assist another in alleviating suffering. Fear of one type of consequence or another can immobilize you from doing anything. Loss of sense of self equals loss of sense of repercussions, which means fearlessness, which means ability to act when it is needed far more effectively.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Do you have children? Or as Siddhartha Gautama would you choose to leave your wife and child behind for others to care for as you try to find your spiritual compass?

Almost any parent would tell you it is not "ego" or "self" that suffers or feels for their child's (or fellow human's) suffering, but it is the conection - the human bond (empathy) is the cause of suffering (or feeling bad). Any other wants or desires are fleeting and soon put aside. As Paul of Tarsus said, "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child : but when I became a man, I put away childish things".

Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. said, "Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals."
Denying the human connection to others is part of what Siddhartha taught even though it was within his power (he was a wealthy man and prince) to help those in need at the time, but he choose to leave the poor and infirm behind (along with his wife and child).

As a comparison you could use, Francis of Assisi (another very wealthy man), who did not choose to leave others behind, but still became a monk (who fought against the Church) and spread his wealth and personhood (and today under his name his followers still forgo wealth and sacrifice themselve to help the poor and infirm).
Or you could choose the comparison of Vincent Van Gogh (especially in his work as a missionary in the mines of Belgium).

Some suffering is compassion and with compassion some suffering of others is relieved. Yes, feeling bad for others and then acting on that feeling is what changes the world.
As Mohandas Gandhi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world". and it was his seeing other's and his personal suffering as a lawyer in South Africa which led him on his journey. It was also knowing himself and his desires.

Yet, Eastern thought whether it be Lao Tsu, or Siddhartha Guatama always seems (to me anyway) to be only about the "self" and an ending to personal (individual's) connection to the world (Spiritual Prozac). "Craving the oneness", appears to end up with the 1970's & 80's self help gurus who now through hindsight and wealth from book sales have changed their dogmas (or tenets of belief). Some continue to even write new books (what was the matter with the first one they wrote?)

[And as a sidenote: The Dalai Lama is one of the biggest frauds the world has seen. Look into how he got the title of, "Holy Man" and who he and his followers think he is.]

[Another sidenote: i am not that into "Western" dogma either, even though (with the exception of Gandhi) i used Christian philosophers above. More like how everyone on ATS uses the "Rabbit Hole" metaphor even though it was brought to us by the good Rev. Charles Dodgson. Hey, a good metaphor (or parable) is still good even if a Angelican Deacon says it.]

[One more note: as a term in metaphysics, from L. ego "I". Psychoanalytic sense is from 1894 (Freud); "Ego Trip" first recorded 1969, it was a movie title]

as ever
mike

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

The way to peace is through the self. To know thyself. One must ask oneself who am i? What am I? When one looks for oneself one will find the peace that surpasses all understanding. When peace is felt it is the only way of expression.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Agree, as long as the self still feels... i can't explain the theology of surender or submission (on ats)... Here's what i first thought when i read your comment

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Watch this short video it is amazing:
youtu.be...

I am reading 'I am that', it is a master-peace.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
If there is a self, which *I* [no pun intended] believe, then the self is identical with the Self and vice versa. The Self must accomodate the self and vice versa. So the act or commencement of dissolving self into the Self is an act of the self to do what you are saying not to do. The piece contains the whole, and the whole contains the piece. Disassociation is death. Life is total association, and the recognition of total association.

It's what Itisnowagain said: know thy self and the Self thy know.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by imherejusttoread

When the drop realizes itself as the ocean there is peace because there is nothing outside of this. The ocean is calm at the core but at the edges it waves and the waves think they are separate and feel scared, we drop into the ocean deeply in deep sleep, it is our true nature. That peace of deep sleep is alway here and now, it is just the sound and the fury of existence (wakefulness, consciousness) that obscures it and we forget it. It is here always, the peace of the ocean because it is our true nature without any 'thing'.
edit on 20-4-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
We share unity on the other side, connection, but we are eternal selves with unique idenities, our own interests and personality, and Loving Good Families. As Above So Below is one thing, but this is also the Foundation.

Do not go wishing to drop self, and merge with anything, for that whole concept is a Luciferean, Bloodline TRAP.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I know what some people, often with military, paramilitary, mystery school and elitist type backgrounds are merging with, for I have energy recognition. Not a pretty picture and what they need to do is start to seek within themselves to free themselves and start to grow their own consciousness. Love and Goodness, grows consciousness. Understanding and being sensitive enough to walk in all people's shoes, grows consciousness, seeing through the world and questioning everything, grows consciousness, developing your peace and goodness to stand calmly in storms grows consciousness, humbling yourself and pouring out your mistakes, as I hope more and more of tptb start to do, grows consciousness, and turns their path around U-Turns.

Merging with Legion and negatives who are pretending to be angels of light, does NOT GROW CONSCIOUSNESS. The unlocked abilities and knowledge is only short lived.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheJourney

I agree 100%. It is about empathy, not sympathy. Feeling bad or not bad, doesn't change the bad thing from happening. Of course, if we see people we love suffer, we want to do something to make them feel better but that is different than "feeling bad" about it.

I also agree that a lot of the time, the feeling bad part is really not about wanting to help the other but more about making ourselves feel good about a bad situation. I used to work in the social services sector with at-risk youth who were homeless, with mental health, etc and the majority of the people I worked with did not do the work because they really cared but because they loved talking about how good they were for doing what they did.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by dude69

It is the craving that is the separation. The human craves more! But it is already complete until it believes it isn't. The human mind always wants some 'thing', it looks to the 'things' to complete itself when it should look directly at itself.

Don't think so...it is this craving that motivates people to...for example: stand at a football match and shout at other people wearing a different jersey, so they'll feel part of something, yes. But the craving itself is not the problem, the walls we have established are. Nationality, religion, etc.etc.
edit on 21-4-2012 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by dude69

People want to feel part of something because they think they are separate. They join a team, or support their country in killing other people who are not on their team. This is separation.
What would you crave if you felt fullfilled, happy, joyous? Nothing, you would just be joyous.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I love losing self-consciousness to be apart of the unity that is universal consciousness, a place so peaceful, loving, and interesting with all these different unique spirits. It's like a party over there, a rave you can say, with the gods, everyone just dancing and having sex, it's a wonderful world in the land of unity.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
as u Will,

self absorbed dukka

or absorbed self anatta

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by dude69

People want to feel part of something because they think they are separate. They join a team, or support their country in killing other people who are not on their team. This is separation.
What would you crave if you felt fullfilled, happy, joyous? Nothing, you would just be joyous.

Hmm...but you have to " get " the joy from somewhere no?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join