It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator Harry Reid: Save the Postal Service, seniors depend on junk mail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Senator Harry Reid: Save the Postal Service, seniors depend on junk mail
Published April 19, 2012
FoxNews.com

Senator has given his best reason for "saving" the Post Office.

There is a bill pending to save the Post office from closing 30,000 locations that will have a major impact on senior citizens receiving junk mail according to Reid.

And, we Must act quickly.

He states:

“I’ll come home tonight here to my home in Washington and there’ll be some mail there,” the Nevada Democrat said Wednesday on the Senate floor. “A lot of it is what some people refer to as junk mail, but for the people who are sending that mail, it’s very important.

“And when talking about seniors, seniors love getting junk mail. It’s sometimes their only way of communicating or feeling like they’re part of the real world.”
Well that's good enough for me !!

The bipartisan bill includes restructuring pension plans for Postal Service employees, and introduces new technology and other efforts meant to help the agency stop losing money.

Reid said 30,000 post offices across the country will close if the legislation fails, many in rural regions without Internet service and where many seniors still rely on the mail service to deliver their medicine. He is expected to attempt to get a vote on the issue within the next couple of weeks.

Was there anything else Senator Reid ?

Like specific economic issues or something like that ?

Related MSNBC Story --> Senate tries to put wrangling aside to rescue Postal Service from insolvency

The Senate struggled Thursday to push forward a bill to restructure the U.S. Postal Service, but still lacked accord on which amendments the senators would be allowed to offer.

“We’re really very, very close to getting something done,” said Majority Leader Harry Reid Thursday afternoon. “Our main issue now is whether there will be a 50-vote hurdle or a 60-vote hurdle,” he said.

The Postal Service is headed for financial collapse and perhaps for a taxpayer bailout. Whether Congress can avert this outcome and save it is the question that the Senate has been debating this week as it considers a bipartisan agency restructuring bill.

Who will get "Stamped" the hardest ?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
It's like living on a deserted island without that daily junk mail in my mailbox. Sorry for the quick joke. Thanks for the post. That Harry Reid obviously hasn't been getting enough junk mail because he's clearly out of touch.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
would it be cheaper to save the postal service or give everyone too poor, or well, just not interested enough, to own one, a computer??
and the training as to how to use it??

and well, then we would have to consider the cost of all the fraud that goes on in cyberspace, that would increase if mail was no longer an option when it came to paying the bills....
and I am sure that both the dems and the republicans can agree...
having those bills paid is of major importance!!!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

The postal service employs 600,000 people. They are being forced to come up with 75 years worth of health and retirement benefits in 10 YEARS. That is why they have been running in the red. They currently have over 45 BILLION dollars in that fund.

The GOP did this during a lame duck session of Congress, just before handing the House to Democrats.

What the GOP did was flat out evil. Whenever you see them blasting the post office for it's problems....remember that they are the primary cause of it.

I'm guessing you didn't read this

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Of course I read that thread and I responded and you responded.

And knowing all that, why didn't Harry just say all that ??

What does senior citizens getting junk mail have to do with the Post Office problems ?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
For everyone that hasn't noticed, the U.S. Postal service is not exactly in the very best of financial health. The agency has been bleeding money for years and it is looking to reduce costs or increase income anywhere it can and a huge moneymaker for the agency is one that many people are not tickled pink with. Specifically, expect more junk mail. How would they survive this problem?

new topics

top topics

join