Dr Who's sonic screwdriver 'invented' at Dundee University

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk

The Dundee University researchers have created a machine which uses ultrasound to lift and rotate a rubber disc floating in a cylinder of water.

It is said to be the first time ultrasound waves have been used to turn objects rather than simply push them.

The study could help make surgery using ultrasound techniques more precise, the physicists said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.stuff.co.nz

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Yeeehaaaah!!

as it says in the 2nd link I included:

It can't unlock any door in the universe, and whether or not it has the ability to remotely control other devices or track alien life remains to be tested, but it can lift and spin a free-floating 10 cm diameter rubber disk with an ultrasound beam.

I guess holding the electronic pattern of someone's personality will also have to wait a bit.....but hey - you have to start somewhere!

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
One small step for geek...

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
ONTOPIC: thats cool, i'm glad we are acheiving scientific breakthroughs inspired by sci fi.

OFFTOPIC: we here at ATS should come up with a whole new generation of Sci-fi gadgets for a fake series or something that universities could work off of.

if they are working on stuff from like Star wars, star trek, dr who. etc, then we could help come up with random quirky ideas no less. just a random thought.

solar powered air conditioning or something
or hydroelectric-daming the oceans

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
S&F

I wonder if it could be scaled up.

Imagine fireworks held in place with ultrasonic beams.

Satellites bumped back into orbit when they deviate.

Not to mention the practical joke applications.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Could big stones such as the ones in pyramids and other ancient sites been set in place by this technology?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
Could big stones such as the ones in pyramids and other ancient sites been set in place by this technology?

The sonic (sound) waves would most likely break the stone apart. The disc they are using is vibrating at an incredible rate and can only endure such treatment due to having an elastic structure.

In some industries, plastics and soft metals are welded with ultrasonic waves.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Both of these technologies currently exist.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

www.bbc.co.uk

The Dundee University researchers have created a machine which uses ultrasound to lift and rotate a rubber disc floating in a cylinder of water.

It is said to be the first time ultrasound waves have been used to turn objects rather than simply push them.

The study could help make surgery using ultrasound techniques more precise, the physicists said.

Related News Links:
www.stuff.co.nz

This is the most kickass thing ever! Next, the TARDIS! Get on it scientist!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

i have yet to have the need or urge to rotate rubber discs in bowls of water

but if they make an ultrasonic screwdriver that does exactly what it claims to be - i would buy 2

though i wonder how much torque an ultrasonic beam can actually impart

also - what effect it would have on other fasterners connected to the same workpreice

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

You had me at Doctor Who...

Seriously though, this is pretty cool and who knows how they will be able to refine this in the future.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

Originally posted by Infi8nity

The sonic (sound) waves would most likely break the stone apart. The disc they are using is vibrating at an incredible rate and can only endure such treatment due to having an elastic structure.

In some industries, plastics and soft metals are welded with ultrasonic waves.

You probably actually could move massive blocks through sound.

Sound is a vibration that travels through a medium, like a gas, a liquid or a solid object. You could use sound waves resonating at certain frequencies to vibrate sand, kind of like the way Chladni Plates work (see below, though you might want to turn it down or put the dog out lol), which would create Acoustic Levitation (worth looking up) that is capable (in theory) of moving massive objects.

edit on 20-4-2012 by WhoWhatWhy because: add link

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Ach ja you Brits think you invent everything

From Germany...
Sep 22, 2006
Hielscher - Ultrasound Technology
www.hielscher.com...

Ultrasonic Levitation

Comment

If you controlled the sound waves at different frequencies and wave shapes etc... would you be able to control the shape size position x y axis etc...of the drop of water.. if so it would be the most awesome 3d water display ever!!!!!!

edit on 20-4-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
though i wonder how much torque an ultrasonic beam can actually impart

Enough to lift the stones and build a pyramid (or coral castle)

But in the meantime sound can levitate and control motion of objects by changing frequency

Acoustic Levitation Chamber

Uploaded by drdeak on Jul 2, 2006

This is an acoustic levitation chamber I designed and built in 1987 as a micro-gravity experiment for NASA related subject matter.
The 12 inch cubed plexiglas Helmholtz Resonant Cavity has 3 speakers attached to the cube by aluminium acoustic waveguides.
By applying a continuous resonant(600Hertz) sound wave, and by adjusting the amplitude and phase relationship amongst the 3 speakers; I was able to control levitation and movement in all 3 (x,y,z) axis of the ambient space.
This research was used to show the effects of micro-gravity conditions that exist in the space shuttle environment in orbit, but done here on Earth in a lab.
This is not "anti-gravity." So don't waste time arguing something pointless.
SEE: science.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Talvar
You had me at Doctor Who...

Seriously though, this is pretty cool and who knows how they will be able to refine this in the future.

In the meantime, you can get one of these and look Kewl

www.thinkgeek.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

The sonic (sound) waves would most likely break the stone apart.

And you know this how? Or are you just guessing because it doesn't fit into your programing?

"For truly, I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you. " Jesus of Nazareth Matthew 17:20

Yoda:
“Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.”

Luke:
“I can’t believe it.”

Yoda:
“That is why you fail.”

Sacred Chant recorded Inside the Great Pyramid

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I wonder if it could be scaled up.
Imagine fireworks held in place with ultrasonic beams.
Satellites bumped back into orbit when they deviate.

Only problem with your reasoning is that sound waves will not travel in space to boost that satellite...

At least that is what the skeptics claim

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Thats pretty cool~!~
Hmm perhaps in another 20 or so years,it will allow such features as these........

Ahhhh to dream..

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Solar powered flash light!!!!! no, wait, thats no good..

Water proof sponges!

Ahh Im no good at this.. lol

Sonic screwdrivers.. well, if we ever need to spin a rubber disc in a jar of water, we're set to go !!!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Well if the satellite were in space it wouldn't need to be moved back into space..

If a satellite with a decaying orbit was in such a state. It could be bumped/shoved out of the upper atmosphere with enough force to push it back towards its appropriate altitude.

Originally posted by OccamAssassin The sonic (sound) waves would most likely break the stone apart. And you know this how? Or are you just guessing because it doesn't fit into your programing?

And you know this how? Or are you just guessing because it doesn't fit into your programing?

Well actually. You may have noticed in the course of your life that some things are hard, some things are soft, some things are brittle and some things are elastic.

If you take a hammer and hit something elastic - like a piece of 'high-density foam' - you may have noticed that it doesn't break....it merely deforms and returns to(or close to) its original shape/form.

If we take the hammer and hit something brittle like glass or rock....What happens? If you answered that it breaks or shatters? Congratulations. Give yourself a gold star.

How is this relevant?

Well, in the OP's video, the sonic wave is acting like a little hammer, hitting the piece of foam many times per second. With each oscillation of the sonic wave striking the foam, it imparts a very(very) small amount of force. The piece of foam moves up slightly and before it has the chance to fall another wave hits it and it pushes it further....and so on.

Like our example with the hammer, the foam and the rock, the sonic wave used for levitation will only work on certain materials. Brittle materials will shatter when exposed to such forces.

To Add....

I wonder what would happen if the foam in the OP's video was replaced with corn-starch?

edit on 22/4/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join