It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO base on Russian soil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
"BRUSSELS (AP) — Russia, which is not a NATO member, has provided the alliance with air corridors and railway routes for carrying supplies to and from landlocked Afghanistan. The link has become particularly important since Pakistan blocked NATO supplies from crossing its territory following an alliance airstrike that killed 24 Pakistani border troops in November.

On Thursday, Lavrov and NATO ministers discussed a plan to give the alliance a new logistics facility on Russian territory to transfer military cargo to and from Afghanistan.

The proposal, now being considered by Russian lawmakers, would for the first time allow alliance members to set up a logistics facility in Ulyanovsk, Russia, for troops and cargo.

Officials said there were "no differences" between the two sides on the use of the air base in Ulyanovsk.

"We expect to expand the transit options offered to us by Russia ... to Afghanistan," NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said after the meeting. "We appreciate very highly Russia's contribution, which is based on our shared interests and contributes to our shared security."

www.google.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
The media portrays Russia as an opponent of the U.S. but this is just distraction and part of the charade. Russia is very much a team player of the NWO at the highest levels.

Look at their use of their UN votes. They don't veto the things they speak out against.. even though they'd have the power to oppose the big important things.. instead they just state they disagree with it publicly.
edit on 4/19/2012 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I have a differing opinion here and hate to be the guy who just seems anti-Russian but..well..while commanders from the cold war KGB run that nation, I'm anti-Russian.
Anyone recall this?

Following the Pakistani government’s recent decision to shut down NATO supply lines into Afghanistan indefinitely, Russian officials upped the ante by subtly threatening to close off northern routes for the occupation if the U.S.-led military alliance refuses to back down on a proposed missile defense system in Europe. According to analysts, such a move by Russia at this point would either spark a new war or force a rapid withdrawal of supply-starved Western forces from the region.
Source

It's just one bunny's opinion based in a childhood where the Russians were the Soviets and Moscow was a target, not a tourist destination....but I simply don't buy the idea that Russia does anything for the benefit of others....if it isn't first to their benefit in some tangible way.

This is a nice carrot to get NATO more heavily dependent upon Russia for the lifeline to Afghanistan and more comfortable about offending Pakistan or telling them to just shove off it things come to the real point of pushing and shoving. Russia sounds happy to be right there to help.......and then a decision out of the Kremlin is sufficient to turn off the war at any time they choose. Just close the supply lines thay 100% and entirely control.

I really hope the Western nations don't just blindly follow Putin's pied piper tune. He isn't a friend or buddy....He's a man with ambitions as high as any before him in that position. The idea of the Russian Federation actually having direct control of people and equipment BASED on their own soil isn't comforting, it's insane. Talk about self inflicted conditions for epic defeat.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I there anyone left who still beleive that Russia will go AGAINST US or NATO when Iran time is up?

Best bet for BOTH Russia and NATO is to be at least low-level partners if not full allies.They are both big, powerfull and have many, many common interests.

Iran ? Just another midget in the big PIE (world) that is splitted between Big Boys.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Recollector

Umm... I'd point to no less a man than Vladimir Putin for someone with that feeling on matters. He's now all but outright said through various arms of the Russian Government that if the West goes ahead and stomps Iran OR Syria OR both....they *WILL* make us pay for it. Russia's been very vague about how...or how far they'll go in which direction in forcing that price down our throats with a plunger, but they've left absolutely no question in my mind that Russia plans to be the piper demanding payment should we do any of this.

It's taken several wars and 20 years for Russia to finally get sick of us running the world like an extended collection of American states, but we ignore their current attitude at our doom, in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Putin and Russia have a 3 win situations out of Iran or Syria or both :
1.Nothing will happend, so Russia will solidify the influence
2.Aerial attack ONLY : Russia will send boots to "secure" the allies, which means influence + troops
3.US/Israel or both invade Iran or Syria : Russia send troops, splitting the invaded teritory with US.

The 3rd scenario is actually the BEST for Russia : they will send in FAR MORE troops than 2nd scenario, they will see if they CAN manage a logistic so big...and last, their troops will NOT be attacked by insurgents/army, but the US troops will.
There is also the chance of small engaments with US troops, which again will at least see what russian troops are made of, if not beating the crap out of US boys.

A full-scale war NATO vs Russia / China or BOTH will end up qith a total #'d up world.Not going to happen, and if it will...we ain't gonna be around to see who was right or wrong.

I still beleive Russia , China and US are in cahoots when comes to world domination.They will SETTLE deal even if some countries will be obliterate in the process.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
If we take territory they will move.If we hit them with airstrikes publicly they will protest,privately they probably agree but their trading partner ,Iran,shouldn't know that.
They are protecting oil assets.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

didnt Russia come to the rescue of an Alaskan Town isolated by a winter storm?

new topics

top topics

join