It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the hell does ats avoid hacks!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This site just screams!!!!! "Hack me". Yet i have never seen an acutual attack on ats, honestly i find it sorta of suspicious that they have yet to get hacked, seeing all these anon, hacker media business.

anyway, this is just a question. i dont know how everything works

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

I would suspect that the ATS Administrators have a fond appreciation for keeping on top of security bulletins, patches, IOS updates to the switches, routers and firewalls, that most companies like to turn a blind eye on or pay only minimal attention.

Most companies pay very little attention to their information security. They just want their computers to WORK, and will nearly cry tears of blood in approving budget consideration for that much, let alone information security like IDS solutions.

For ATS, their lifeblood IS the internet.

Any company who's business relies primarily or solely on internet traffic that doesn't pay attention to the razor bleeding edge of security bulletins, patches, and updates may as well get on the freeway, naked, on a bicycle, blindfolded, and hope for the best.

InfoSec is a tough thing to keep on top of too, so, Kudos, cheers, and applause to the InfoSec guys and girls behind the curtain.

edit on 20-4-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
They got hacked very recently. It affected quite a members. ( Was the only time I have seen such a thing in my 4 + years here)

Nothing exciting happened though. Something about they found a weak spot in site security and exploited it.

It gave them access to a some members sign in info...But the password were encoded and automatically reset, so even if they decoded it would still be the wrong password.

They fixed the issue.
edit on 20-4-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

I haven't read all the comments thus far. But, I doubt you are going to get a lot of insight into the firewalls and countermeasures taken to protect ATS from hackers and the like.

I have been around long enough to see some gremlins and anomalies pop up from time to time here on ATS.

This one time EVERYONE on ATS had their profile changed due to some kind of a glitch, and everyone had the same profile avatar for their account for a few hours.

This is what everyones' profile picture looked like:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

ATS doesn't piss off the wrong groups. Sure, we make fun of Sorcha Faal, but they don't allow "board wars," and they do their best to keep the political commentary civil and equally representative.

Why would you say it screams hack me?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
This site just screams!!!!! "Hack me". Yet i have never seen an acutual attack on ats, honestly i find it sorta of suspicious that they have yet to get hacked, seeing all these anon, hacker media business.

anyway, this is just a question. i dont know how everything works

It happens...I have seen a few attacks...but ATS gets them worked out fairly quick!

I actually got banned one time...by hackers...weird day that was!

I don't really understand the point of hacking ATS...but someone must...because it does...and probably will continue to happen...so much for a CIA front aye?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Didn't you know? This site is an NSA/CIA run operation.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
...But the password were encoded and automatically reset, so even if they decoded it would still be the wrong password.

Unless, Like me (
), you used that password for every other login. Took me days to backtrack and change every account I have with some service (hotmail etc).

I learned my lesson though....NEVER USE THE SAME PASSWORD!!!

Peace
edit on 20-4-2012 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by HEYJOSE

DING!!!! you win!!!!

your on the yellow list now.

; P

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

Wow, I found out I once had an avatar on here.

Even though I'd rather have my current avatar over the nice looking female.
For years I thought I would look for some pictures I took of the night time sky and use that for my avatar. Still waiting to get around to it.

I remember this site was hacked not that long ago. It got fixed pretty quick.

Some hackers like to just see if they can do something. They don't care if something is illegal or immoral or causes harm or annoys others. Some hackers like to leave evidence and some don't. There are good hackers that will tell sites about security issues and there are bad ones.

I remember stumbling into a hacker chat room one time. Another time I was getting messages from a hacker or some group discussing mysterious messages and taking down the power grid on the east coast. This was before 911 and they failed. I don't know why I was getting messages. I even once stumbled on a hacker index site with all kinds of hacker sites including one where they posted hacker names and the big hacks they pulled off. I thought my browser must be messed up to keep surfing upon hacker sites doing google searches.

One hacker even asked me to join them but I didn't like his web site warnings. I read somewhere that most hacking cases probably would not be investigated by the FBI or some groups unless they exceeded $5,000 in damages but I read that years ago. I believe they may make special exceptions if someone hacks the wrong site.
hint hint,
Now why doesn't ATS get hacked

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I bet they get hacked all the time they just do not talk much about. Would you want to see a new post every week titled "We got hacked again"? Not me and not any one esle so we it happens they take care of it and do not talk about it.

top topics

join