It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Squirrel and the Rat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
This happened about 2 years ago at my old job sight, I love peanuts so always having a few in my pocket, I used to feed the squirrels at work walking from building to building.well one day as I'm walking back to my shop I see a squirrel,
so I threw a peanut and as the squirrel ran to grab it, a rat popped its head up from a hole looking curious. That very second, Instantly I felt disgusted with this dirty rat. This disgusting Nyc rat with open sores just looking at me and the squirrel... When I tell you a second later I felt so bad for this poor Rat, Man I felt a flush of guilt because of how I saw and thought of this Rat.... This is still a life...not as pretty as a squirrel (still rat with a pretty tail lol) but it still was no different in that it had the same needs. I threw 2 peanuts to that rat and It kinda changed my thinking.

Thanks for reading.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
on a more interesting note, i love nuts, no pun intended. Especially trail mix, you know with like, almonds, pistachios, cashews, raisins, dried cranberry and cherry...

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by wlord

I make a trail mix out of nothing but peanuts, cashews, golden raisins, and dried coconuts. Best thing ever.

To you, OP, I think that was one of those wise moments that people have now and then. Congratulations.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
That's a cute story with a great moral. We're all just a bunch a rats trying to get a nut.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Prisoner60863

I dig those moments when compassion and empathy find their way into our hearts, even if sometimes for just a fleeting moment. The seed can sprout and add to our perspectives.

Peace

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Thank you all for your replies, I also asked myself was I really that conditioned to just see this Rat as negative? If I saw that in a negative view what else?

I also love walnuts. I had a squirrel chase me down a block because I fed him a quenepa (sweet lil fruit).
He loved them so much he sat on a bench next to me taking them from my hand. people thought he was my pet!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
And who are you, mighty human, to weigh the lives of these creatures?

Perhaps they both were pitying you. And, perhaps, just perhaps they were able, in that moment, to give you something much more valuable than a couple of nuts.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I have to say thats one cool avatar.

I have a pit that hates wearing anything other than his collar.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

If Creator is King and I'M his child then maybe I'm a prince?

They did give me a lesson more valuable than money.

I'm a regular guy not a judge or whatever.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I actually like rats. From what I have heard, they make wonderful pets.

new topics

top topics

join