It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salford scientists reveal the 'sound of Stonehenge'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Salford scientists reveal the 'sound of Stonehenge'

[...] the four-year project by Dr Bruno Fazenda and colleagues at Huddersfield and Bristol universities, has established how the shouts, speeches, songs or sacrificial screams would have sounded, whatever material they may have contained. The method has been a painstaking piece of 'archaeoacoustics', a relatively new discipline which reveals the sound quality of buildings from the past.

Fazenda says:

Stonehenge is very well known, but people are still trying to find out what it was built for and we thought that doing this research would add an element of archaeology that so far hasn't been looked at. It's a new area of acoustic science and it could be very helpful in the archaeological interpretation of important buildings and heritage sites, some of which may not exist in their original form, such as in the case of Stonehenge.

I'm glad to see the science of archeology to include a more complete picture of the experiences ancient people would have had within these monuments, such as the sounds and echos they may have heard. I don't think Stonehenge's ritual purpose can be fully understood without considering it's acoustics - although it's too early to say it's acoustic properties were not an unintended by-product of it's design.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Amazing, Every pulse and speck of static is a song, music is everywhere, this proves that in part... really brilliant! The place is amazing.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
It was not built with acoustic properties in mind... come on..really!

It's like doing this experiement in Times Square and saying it was built with it's acoustic properties in mind. Of course in 400 years people will say TQ had a difference purpose than we use it for. They'll say it was a religous area or something.

See how things get screwed.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Fascinating take on ancient monolithic sites.

I couldn't help but think about the John F. Kennedy Memorial in Dallas at Dealy Plaza. It is an open air stone enclosure with a bench on the inside. It doesn't look like much, but when you go in, it completely eliminates the sounds from outside, so it is intensely quiet in there. It was designed that way, for reflection and deep thought.

I'm sure people thousands of years in the future would think that it's just a stone enclosure with a bench in it and had no other purpose.

edit on 19-4-2012 by FissionSurplus because: spelling error

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
they used it to astral travel & exit their bodies ~22,000 BC. Its changed a lot since then i guess

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

Times Square is a religious center for the church of materialism and consumption. The true religion of most of humanity

new topics

top topics

join