It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant spider devours snake!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

It's the stuff nightmares are made of — a giant spider slowly killing a snake snared in its web.

Cairns man Ant Hadleigh photographer this creepy encounter in a friend's backyard on Wednesday.

He told ninemsn he spotted the brown tree snake snared in the golden orb spider's enormous web.

Link to article

Woah! I had to share this one. I live in Queensland so its a bit close to home, I'm praying one doesn't end up in this arachnophobe's backyard. Though I must admit it the coolest thing Ive seen in a while.

They mention another photo of a golden orb devouring a bird and I found a link to it here

edit on 19-4-2012 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Oh my god if I saw that I'd be peeing out of my butt in fear.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

That is Both amazing and horrific at the same time! I love it!

But seriously, anyone for a nghtmate with a spider with a snake as a tongue

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

OK, and why is it you live in this land of the lost prehistoric landscape? How can you walk out of the house in the morning, let alone at night? Does everyone there carry ropes and guns to kill these things? My God, man.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

:lol
nly ropes here mate, guns are outlawed

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

& double

Holy snakes Batman thanks for sharing.
Just for context just how big is that spider.

I probably don't want to know!
Yes I do!
Do I?

Edit: Foolishly I followed the Spider eating bird link and found out.

Mr Shakepeare said he had seen Golden Orb Weaver spiders as big as a human hand but the northern species in tropical areas were known to grow larger.

Wouldn't want that to drop down on my face at night!

edit on 19-4-2012 by HumansEh because: As described

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
That is freaking awesome! Thanks for sharing this!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

OK, and why is it you live in this land of the lost prehistoric landscape? How can you walk out of the house in the morning, let alone at night? Does everyone there carry ropes and guns to kill these things? My God, man.

Aussies - tough guys, really.

When I was about 8, me & my friends used to go and hunt for Red-bellied Black Snakes, with sticks. Apparently they are the second most poisonous snake in the world. Who'd have guessed?

There are also poisonous Red-Back spiders, poisonous Funnel-Web spiders and other nasty wildlife that live in and around Sydney, but somehow I survived.

I have now moved to NZ where there's nothing really poisonous & the only scary looking creepy-crawly is a large type of cricket called a Weta, but I've not seen any where I live.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

*runs screaming from the room*

ETA I'm scared of even the small (well I say small, the body is sometimes as large as 1 centimetre or more!) spiders, never mind the big ones!

edit on 19/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
WHOA! that is incredible!

I'd be scoping out how to get that spider in a frying pan for dinner (if i was famished), & if still hungry, then fry up the snake.

get some tinder & have at it. a spicy or acidic pepper/citrus would prolly be handy to have for the fry.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

That's why we wrestle crocs and ride Kangaroo's to work.......

Seriously though, It's not as bad as what people think. I imagine for you US and Canadians, walking out into the street and finding a bear on your front lawn would be just as bad.......

If you ever come to Australia, watch out for Drop Bears!!!!!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Two of natues creatures are the stuff of nightmares?

Do you have nightmares thinking about lions and zebras? What about birds and earthworms? Cats and mice? Bats and moths?

I had to ask.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wewillrise77

Do I want to know what a drop bear is?
Sounds scary to me.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

That is freaky , i don't even wanna imagine seeing that in my backyard. All these creatures seem to be getting bigger nd bigger , it won't be long till we see little billy in their grips !

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

Just a tip, but it is unclear who you are asking due to you not replying to a specific post and using the "Post Reply" thread button instead.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Average size really, about 4 to 5 inches its why we don't need cats because the spiders eat the rats.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Wikipedia has it right, Basically it's what we tell tourists about Koalas.
They look cute and cuddly, they hide up in the tree's and drop down on unsuspecting tourists and rip them to sheds with their razor sharp claws.....

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Golden Orb weaver VS Brown Snake...

Its uncommon, dont think its normal.

Golden Orb weavers aren't deadly, they are big and look scary.

You go for a walk in the parks a few 100m outside of sydney cbd and you'll see them, everywhere.. big, chunky and hairy watching you.

That spider in the photo was probably the size of a large dinner plate... it only won because the snake couldnt get to it.. but that must have been a baby brown snake.. brown snakes are huge.. and STUPID.. if they hear a car coming they will stand up on their tails on the road waiting for you to kill em!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Good thing they don't run in packs. Imaging 30 or 40 of them coming for you.

Or if they were a bit larger.

edit on 20-4-2012 by ntech because: (no reason given)

top topics

join