It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ugly The Cat

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I read this story from the Facebook page "Just Cats", and it had me dissolved in a puddle of tears by the end of it. It is a beautiful story about an abused, homeless kitty who only wanted to be loved, as he was abused and shunned.

I don't know who the author is, otherwise I would credit them.

WARNING: Keep a box of tissues handy. It's a tear-jerker:

Ugly The Cat

Everyone in the apartment complex I lived in knew who Ugly was. Ugly was the resident tomcat. Ugly loved three things in this world:fighting, eating garbage, and, shall we say, love. The combination of these things, combined with a life spent outside, had their effect on Ugly.

To start with, he had only one eye and where the other should have been was a gaping hole. He was also missing his ear on the same side, his left foot appeared to have been badly broken at one time, and had healed at an unnatural angle, making him look like he was always turning the corner. His tail had long ago been lost, leaving only the smallest stub, which he would constantly jerk and twitch.

Ugly would have been a dark grey tabby, striped-type, except for the sores covering his head, neck, even his shoulders with thick, yellowing scabs. Every time someone saw Ugly there was the same reaction. "That's one UGLY cat!" All the children were warned not to touch him, the adults threw rocks at him, hosed him down, squirted him when he tried to come in their homes, or shut his paws in the door when he would not leave.

Ugly always had the same reaction. If you turned the hose on him, he would stand there, getting soaked until you gave up and quit. If you threw things at him, he would curl his lanky body around feet in forgiveness. Whenever he spied children, he would come running, meowing frantically and bump his head against their hands, begging for their love. If you ever picked him up, he would immediately begin suckling on your shirt, earrings, whatever he could find.

One day Ugly shared his love with the neighbor's huskies. They did not respond kindly, and Ugly was badly mauled. From my apartment I could hear his screams, and I tried to rush to his aid. By the time I got to where he was laying, it was apparent Ugly's sad life was almost at an end.

Ugly lay in a wet circle, his back legs and lower back twisted grossly out of shape, a gaping tear in the white strip of fur that ran down his front. As I picked him up and tried to carry him home, I could hear him wheezing and gasping, and could feel him struggling. It must be hurting him terribly, I thought.

Then I felt a familiar tugging, sucking sensation on my ear. Ugly, in so much pain, suffering and obviously dying, was trying to suckle my ear. I pulled him closer to me, and he bumped the palm of my hand with his head, then he turned his one golden eye towards me, and I could hear the distinct sound of purring.

Even in the greatest pain, that ugly battled-scarred cat was asking only for a little affection, perhaps some compassion. At that moment I thought Ugly was the most beautiful, loving creature I had ever seen. Never once did he try to bite or scratch me, or even try to get away from me, or struggle in any way. Ugly just looked up at me completely trusting in me to relieve his pain.

Ugly died in my arms before I could get inside, but I sat and held him for a long time afterwards, thinking about how one scarred, deformed little stray could so alter my opinion about what it means to have true pureness of spirit, to love so totally and truly.

Ugly taught me more about giving and compassion than a thousand books, lectures, or talk show specials ever could, and for that I will always be thankful. He had been scarred on the outside, but I was scarred on the inside, and it was time for me to move on and learn to love truly and deeply. To give my total to those I cared for. Many people want to be richer, more successful, well liked, beautiful, but for me, I will always try to be like Ugly.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
i like cats, but i dont like made up stories passed around via e-mail.
i dont usually mind if its a good story with a meaning.
but that was just a story about an ugly cat that died.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

Typically, I don't like posters who come on and try to put the post down with no proof of their accusations. You tend to do that quite a bit, which is your right, I suppose, but I notice that your posts are generally quite negative and a little mean.

You don't know if it is made up or not...You have no proof of this. I think it is a beautiful story, well written, with a wonderful moral to the story.

How sad for you that you can only see the negative in everybody's posts. Thumb's down back atcha.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I recall a wild little Ferrel cat.
My friend a cat lover had 6 of her own cats.
My friend used to take a plate of food each evening and leave it on a piece of waste ground near the woods where Wild Cat hung out.
My friend became ill and I looked after her 6 cats and also wild cat.
I used to leave plate of food in alloted place and return in the morning to find the food gone.
One night I hid so to catch a sight of this elusive wild cat - she was a tiny scruffy thing.
I watched her cautiously appear then another domestic appeared and they shared the food this wild cat and domestic cat.
My friend became well again though it was but respite - She went one evening with plate of food and returned with little wild cat in her arms - poor thing was dying yet no longer fiercely independent but purring though very ill.
My friend carried wild cat round the house with her all the time as wild cat purred away - ill but happy.
The other 6 cats kept a respectful distance - wild cat eventually passed away a few days later.
Cmon all you cynics - has the world grown so old - We all need love be we Human Cat Dog or whatever- love is a beautiful thing

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

That was the point of the story, thanks for getting it.

I think it is a good measure of character to see how somebody treats the most insignificant, helpless scrap of life. I think it was really sweet of you to carry on feeding the strays when your friend was ill.

I have a few "Uglies" that I have adopted over the years. A little veterinary care, good food, love and security do wonders with these animals. They are all gorgeous now.

I'm glad the little feral kitty you mentioned finally was able to die in love and peace.....Love and peace are things the world today desperately needs more of!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the ways its animals are treated

~ Mahatma Gandhi

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I used to take in foster cats for a charity here. We have had over 200 cats come through our house. I am always amazed that even the ones that have been abused and neglected just want to be loved. The woman who started the charity used to tell me "it's not the food and vet care that brings them around it's the love." In the end I think it's the love that saves us all.

Thank you OP for sharing.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

Yes such love brings tears of sadness and joy and is cathartic and humbling - love cleanses the soul
What a gift we all have to give each other

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Heartfelt story and I needed the tissues. Reminded me of a tom cat
I called "ear" (as he only had one ear). He lived on an island and was
pretty much on his own but he knew he could always come to my back
porch for food and love. He was wonderful and I miss him.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I have a cat but she's a bit weird with other cats, most she just doesn't like. Every once in a while one will come along that she can tolerate in her garden. The cats she generally likes are the gentle ones from what I've noticed. They are weird animals but such lovely pets.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
At least he doesnt smoke catnip

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
A very good friend of mine who has quite a few medical problems is a great lover of cats. A couple of years ago a tiny black female cat turned up in his garage(he leaves the door open so his other cats can come and go as they please). She was tiny and obviously pregnant. He made a place for her to birth her kittens in the garage even though we couldn't get near her. She would hIss and spit at both of us. She eventually had her kittens and he helped her with food and water,even though she still wouldn't let him near her. He raised the kittens and kept giving her the necessities of life. Finally one day when the kittens had weaned she disappeared. He didn't think that she would ever be seen again. He had named her momma.

About a month later she showed up one day while I was visiting him. She was limping badly and her leg was clearly broken. Right front leg was badly swollen and she put no pressure on it. My friend walked over to her and she actually let him pick her up. She growled a bit at him but finally settled down and we managed to splint the leg. He locked her in the house and wouldn't let her out untill after a couple of months she had healed. Then he let her loose and thought she would run off and never be seen again. Later that night he heard a mewing at the back door and, thinking that one of his other cats wanted in he opened the door.

It was momma. She had brought a rabbit home and wanted to come in. He let her in and she is now the sweetest cat you've ever seen. She is even my buddy and whenever I visit she curls up on my lap and purrs to beat the band.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FenderWolf

LOL....Mine don't smoke it, they eat it. I tried to grow some one time, and my cats literally tore the catnip plants out of the ground. They ate every bit of it, even the roots, then lay on their backs and passed out, bellies to the sky, with goofy smiles on their faces.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

That is a beautiful story. Once you win the trust of a feral cat, it will be your friend for life.

I love that Momma brought a rabbit as a gift for the family. The fact that she wanted to bring it inside meant that she considered it her forever home.

Thanks for sharing that.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

You're very welcome. My friend has a heart of gold. Once you get past his rough edges. She has become his favorite as his older cats have passed away. I'll be seeing him and momma real soon as I visit as often as I can cause I worry about his health. He's in and out of the hospital every couple of years. When he's in the hospital I go over every day and make sure his cats have a clean box and food and water.

Then I go visit him so he knows I took care of his kids.

Momma always comes running whenever I come over. she is always glad to see me. She's still tiny but she's getting a bit chubby these days. She's been around for about 5 years now. He got her spayed as soon as she had the litter she was carrying when she showed up with the bad leg.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

edit on 19-4-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Lovely but sad story
There may be something wrong with me, if someone tells me about a human being hurt or injured Ill think its bad but if its an animal I always get emotional about it.

The story reminds me of a stray that lived in the backyard of a house we moved into when I was 14, we already had 2 cats and they would run back inside anytime the stray come around.
Anytime mum saw him she used to shoo him away, she is an animal lover and cats especially but she wanted our cats to have their own space.
Anyway after a few months of this cat being shoed away anytime she saw it Mum heard one of our cats in the backyard hissing, she went to the back door thinking it was the stray but saw it was the neighbours cat beating up on ours, she went to run out to save Tiger (our cats name) but before she opened the door the stary came running over and kicked the crap out of the neighbours cat.
From then on Mum realised our tiny cats had a protector and the stray (we named him soxy) always had food and water on the back porch.
At first he would run anytime we came along but after a few months he wouldnt run anymore just keep a wary distance then eventually he let us pat him.

He eventually became one of the house cats and was the most affectionate cat you ever met, he even became a 2nd mother to tigers kittens when she had them, he used to lie the basket with them and mum and a few times they even tried to feed from him but he seemed to like it and would just lay there sleeping.
I think when we got him fixed he became a bit confused LOL

After 8 years we had to get him put down due to kidney failure, a very sad day

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

What a happy-ending story! He was a loyal kitty and a lover, who found a forever home! He had many years of companionship with humans and cats and passed away happy and loved.

I adopted an old cat with feline AIDS about 5 years ago. She was a street cat who was taken out of a hoarder's house in Houston, Texas (imagine 250 cats in a small two bedroom house, where the lady was so old she couldn't take care of them, so they were living in filth, feces, disease, and squalor).

This cat was a mean little psycho but there was something about her that just melted my heart so we adopted her. She was so happy to have a forever home, a warm bed and good food, but soon the AIDS had gotten too advanced. After many treatments at the vet, and thousands of dollars spent, she developed a tumor in her mouth.

Towards the end, she started walking after me everywhere I went, even when I walked down the street, and she would cry and meow for me to stop. I got the odd feeling that she didn't want me to go away from her, and she was thanking me the only way she could. Two weeks later the tumor was deforming her skull and she was in intense pain so we had to euthanize her. She clung to me weakly while they were fixing to inject her but looked me in the eye one last time and I knew she was saying thank you for making my last year on earth the best ever.

They injected the euthanizing drug and as I stared into her blue Siamese eyes, she gave me one last look of thanks and then passed away. I cried for weeks over that cat, and I have her ashes and the last clump of fur she left on my bedspread in a personalized box on my bookshelf.

I'm just a sucker, I guess. I have two with cerebellar hypoplasia, one who was missing an eye and had a broken jaw, his brother and sister who were deathly ill when we found them all together abandoned in a field, two with feline AIDS that nobody wants, one that was found at 2 weeks abandoned in a parking lot, and one from the local shelter that nobody wanted because she had been abused and had a bad temper (not anymore, though).

I love to read about people's cat stories. It reaffirms that I'm not the only one who has a soft spot for these sweet little creatures.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Explanation:
... S&F! [Crying and LoLing here
+
... ahhh so messed up
]

Go UGLY early ... you know it make sense ... because if you are happy with UGLY then you KNOW that beauty is only skin deep.

UGLY is to the BONE! [well the story affected me that deeply
]

Personal Disclosure: I want to BE ... UGLY!

Here is why ...

Ugly died in my arms before I could get inside, but I sat and held him for a long time afterwards, thinking about how one scarred, deformed little stray could so alter my opinion about what it means to have true pureness of spirit, to love so totally and truly.

Ugly taught me more about giving and compassion than a thousand books, lectures, or talk show specials ever could, and for that I will always be thankful. He had been scarred on the outside, but I was scarred on the inside, and it was time for me to move on and learn to love truly and deeply. To give my total to those I cared for. Many people want to be richer, more successful, well liked, beautiful, but for me, I will always try to be like Ugly.

R.I.P. Ugly ... meow!
Thank you for being WHO you were ... your personality shines greater than all the stars and celebs in the entire universe. I can see it from the future and from Australia and I can recognize dogged determined love when it presents itself to me... no disrespect intended ok!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join