It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China assisting N.Korean missile program-U.S. Defense Sec'y

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Please do note the portion that I boldly emphasized

* Panetta declines to detail support due to 'sensitivity'

* Military, economic ties with China date back decades

* Says recent provocations followed some recent progress

WASHINGTON, April 19 (Reuters) - China has provided some assistance to North Korea's missile program, U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said on Thursday, a week after the hermit state's failed missile launch triggered broad international condemnation.

"I'm sure there's been some help coming from China. I don't know, you know, the exact extent of that," Panetta told members of the House Armed Services Committee when asked whether China had been supporting North Korea's missile program through "trade and technology exchanges."

North Korea's powerful Asian neighbor is the hermit kingdom's only major ally, with military and economic ties that date back to the communist origins of the two nations.

On Wednesday, Pyongyang said it was ready to retaliate in the face of widespread condemnation of the failed launch, increasing the likelihood the isolated state will go ahead with a third nuclear test.

Reuters Source

Kind of like they were sure there were WMD's in Iraq?

I have always found it so difficult to understand why China sticks their neck out for such a seemingly reckless nation. They seem like they'd be more on the level as it were.

This is (imo) a pretty bold accusation to state publicly without definitive intelligence to back it up, with all the tension in the world today that is. If you read the full article this is seemingly based on some information whereby N. Korea was touting weapons "Made in China" in a military parade. Ironic isn't it?

Well there you have it, more drum beating and saber rattling to engross yourself with

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I thought wikileaks reported that China hated North Korea a while back? Which is real?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

I thought wikileaks reported that China hated North Korea a while back?

Personally I am not familiar with that information...do you by chance have a link?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I highly doubt this... maybe im wrong but unless the launch was a success why would we draw this conclusion. With all our missile parts being made in China if they were helping NK then the launch would not have failed, and to the best of my knowledge china has no issues launching missile so i call BS on this YAY lets lie some more to make China more evil ( not directed towards the op just the liars that make up the idiots in charge of our news and country)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Immune

Indeed, and this all stemmed from this...

(from the article)

Republican Rep. Michael Turner pressed Panetta about a transporter launcher system - essentially a large truck on top of which a missile is mounted - that North Korea showcased during a military parade on Sunday, which he said appeared to be made in China.

So reading between the lines, Mr. Turner is stating that our spy satellites are so sophisticated that we can see the Made in China tag on these missiles? Not that it's a secret, but one has to assume that this is how the "intel" was garnered, unless there are more covert operations occurring in N. Korea that would make us privy to said "intel".

The fact the sec'y went public as such does indeed spark some controversy.
edit on 4/19/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Only a complete moron would think otherwise. Of course Red China is assisting them, they gave the North Koreans the technology to begin with. It's in their interest to have their puppet state Nuclear armed. Course, This one day could very well backfire on the Chinese. If China were smart (which they are far from stupid), they would embrace South Korea more and use their influence to push for a United Korea which would serve their long term interests much better. ~$heopleNation
edit on 19-4-2012 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I agree the venue used to disclose this "information" make me even more skeptical than if fox news broke the story while i admit its suspect they have a truck launcher for their missile, honestly it cant be that hard to make a mobile missile launcher im sure even the NK's can make that.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

So tell me what good is a puppet that can't launch a missile? If they wanted a puppet the missile would have been a success. I highly doubt the NK's would continue to pay for services from China if they kept failing and would more than likely throw them under the bus to get us to pay back China for shafting us and them.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Immune

Did your brain ever comprehend that maybe that is because It's about the possibility of them being able to successfully arm a warhead? Who knows, China's agenda could be just that. Maybe just giving them a little, but not enough? Think for a minute or two. Ever wonder why Iran, who is much further behind North Korea in their nuclear development, is mentioned as more of a threat to the west? Believe what you like, just don't expect wiser minds to. ~$heopleNation

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

You can arm all the war heads you like without a way to deliver it all you got is a military accident. Unless you can get that war head to your enemy what good is it? First you come up with a method of delivery then you come up with the boom they seem to be doing it backwards.Plus if anything they would get technology from Pakistan since that is where they got their nuclear capabilities.We need to look at the obvious routes before we draw lines to China who has an extensive history of saying no to the North Koreans. Not even China would want their crazy neighbor having rocket technology that could cause a problem China may have to become involved in. And why go through the trouble of siding with the un on the issue, the Chinese have no problem telling the un and the US to blow off when it comes to Iran. So you can use flawed logic to draw lines or you can research and draw your own lines based on facts China has not helped and i believe they have no will to even bother with North Korea

www.reuters.com...

www.washingtonpost.com... ry.html

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
China is a big country, as such there are many people who hate many things. When it comes to North Korea, China played a big part in forming the wall that exists today. Without China's involvement Korea would have been unified 60 or so years ago. I am not sure if the US would have stopped at Korea or kept going onto Beijing or Moscow at the time to contribute to the ongoing military action.

China and North Korea have lost a lot of blood together in standing up against the US, so there will be a lot of strong ties and connections throughout the populations. As for how much of this feeds up into the foreign policy of China gets a lot more political and sensitive. With the history China has with the defence of North Korea, I would be very surprised if there was not any support, guidance and trade continuing to be provided.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Immune

I have researched plenty guy, so don't get ahead of yourself. Yeah you make some good points. Who knows when it comes to nations like these. As far as China not wanting to arm a so-called rogue Nation, China could wipe them out anytime, which they have no interest in doing. Their interests concern using the puppet state of North Korea against South Korea (U.S owned), Japan (pretty much U.S owned, though more independent as they should be) and The Russian Federation. Think outside the box. I mean no disrespect at all my friend, and we can disagree. However, There is most likely alot that we Westerners just don't understand about these Asian allies and their own inner disputes. That's all I am trying to say. Who knows what is right, wrong, or even close to the truth in regards to their foreign policies over there. ~$heopleNation

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I do see your side of the point and please forgive my tone in the previous comment sometimes posters on this site tend to be uneducated and over opinionated and usually with a slight push it shows through. You however bring up some valid points, another ally in the area is something China has desperately wanted since we moved in and Russia has no apparent issues with wiping them off the map with any sort of provocation. China is an island surround by sharks (us and Russia) and although we disagree with whom they would align (i personally think they are very close with pakistan) i do see your point that they would love to even the odds without making it to obvious.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
LMAO!!!! And thus far, 3 duds??? If i was China i would absolutely deny they have been helping. Maybe the rockets arre covered with lead paint from China!!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Immune

I appreciate that alot Immune, but no need to apologize. ATS is a battlefield sometimes as well, but mostly within because of all of our passion dominated positions. Nevertheless, Hands down the Best Website on the internet.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying as well. It's nice to have a discussion with a level headed, good person (I can see that already) who only means well. I would like to think that I am the same as you. Best wishes my friend. Hope to talk again in the future. Your friend ~$heopleNation

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
China asisting NK militarily ?

That is common sense tbh.What is NOT so common sense, is to see such kind of affirmations right from the US Def.Sec.

If i would say it, or another ATS member, would have been categorized in the lines of :"yeah man, we know that is not only entirely possible but obvious".And would have dies after 1 or 2 replies.

But this is coming from Panneta's mouth...

top topics

join