It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where's the outrage at CBS?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I understand why you think the protesters should be thanked, but
honestly, I disagree with you.

hmm knowing what we know now that a victory in vietnam was unnecessary to win the cold war are you really sure the protesters shouldn�t be thanked ?? maybe if the war had gone on for another decade and thousands more had died you would be satisfied but perhaps the additional drain in the economy and the morale of the country could have emboldened the soviets to keep it going a while longer instead of calling it quits. think about that.

[edit on 27-9-2004 by transient]

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Transient - perhaps I didn't express myself well enough.
Let me give it another try so that you don't accuse me of
being bloodthirsty or something. ('be satisfied' with people
being killed ... come on transient)

Our bailing France out of their predicament in Vietnam was
a mistake on our part. I do not think we should have been
involved at all. However, while our troops were there, it
was incorrect for people back here to be treating those
returning from the war in such a disgraceful manner. It
was also wrong for people back here to be violent and
to act in civil disobedience. It was also wrong for John
Kerry and the Winter Soldier investigations to go
unchallenged because they were popular at the time.

There were channels that should have been used FIRST.
Better channels. Civil channels. Peaceful protests are
fine. Civil and lawful channels should have been used
along with the peaceful protests. These things were
not done. People just jumped into chaos and anarchy
and retold lies (Winter Soldier) .... making life and
POW inprisionment for our soldiers in Vietnam worse
than they had to be.

[edit on 9/27/2004 by FlyersFan]

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
[discovered]--
dan rather's fake documents:

[US media and american public]--
FIRE HIM!!... HE SHOULD RESIGN IN DISGRACE!!

----------

ahem...

[discovered]--
the documents used by gw bush (state of the union address- jan. 28, 2003) and colin powell (adressing the UN security council- feb. 5, 2003) to prove that iraq was attempting to purchase uranium from the country of Niger... WERE FAKE DOCUMENTS!!!!!!!

[US media and american public]--
uhhh... well... uhh... it's the best information we had at the time, yeah... that's it... YEAH, UH... THAT'S OK, WE'RE ALWAYS RIGHT...
----------

WHO'S RUNNING THIS COUNTRY?
GW BUSH... OR HOMER SIMPSON???????

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TenaciousGuy
[Thanks for completely manipulating my post...

Did I misunderstand what you were saying?
If so, I apologize for my misunderstanding.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by redalert
the documents used by gw bush (state of the union address- jan. 28, 2003) and colin powell (adressing the UN security council- feb. 5, 2003) to prove that iraq was attempting to purchase uranium from the country of Niger... WERE FAKE DOCUMENTS!!!!!!!

Good point. Wasn't there a thread a few weeks back that said
France had planted the fake documents to embarrass the UK
and USA? I think I read that somewhere here.

Can't fire France, can we? I suppose we could do a double secret
probation boycott or something.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Yet another thread that turns into Bush bashing. This is tiresome.

They wanted it to be true. It was a questionable source and they rushed to put it on even though the people they had trying to verify it still had doubts about authenticity. A rookie mistake by a seasoned newsman. The only reason everybody's putting it off as no big deal is because it's about Bush and there's the feeling that even if he's not guilty of what the documents charge, he is actually guilty. I can't see spending the money on a congressional investigation or anything like that because I don't think it's a big conspiracy. I think it's bad journalism. CBS should take care of it internally. CBS had faith in those involved in the segment, faith enough to go on their information as being valid and true. Sounds kind of like Bush to me. He had faith in the information he was given, just as other countries believed their sources when given the same information, so they acted on it. CBS had an easier job with trying to verify these docs than world leaders had verifying the presence of WMD in Iraq.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Why isn't America more upset that it has
been lied to? Are we so used to lies and misleading 'news'
that this just bounces off us? Sad. Very sad. This is
criminal and America doesn't seem to care.

Sad commentary on our society, isn't it? For many of my generation, Viet Nam, Watergate and the aftermath crushed our faith in the believability of our Government. However, news organizations became almost gods. We believed what we were told, almost without question.
Now we skeptically view any newscast and suspect that possibily Martha Stewart was only an innocent pawn brought down by a ravenous media. I think the Government does occasionally go after folks pre-convicted by the media. It's called Job Security. You can show that you are doing SOMETHING.
BUT we still believe the WMD are in Iraq----SOMEPLACE because our Leaders say so. It kind of makes me wonder who is supplying CBS with it's Intelligence Info. It has been quite some time since I heard the Media referred to as "The Fourth Estate" making it an unofficial branch of the Government. Too many of us are used to hearing the Government's falsehoods. I guess we expect it from just about everybody now.
I still can't understand how this Administration, in spite of evidence to the contrary, is considered so trustworthy. When did this change occur?

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I don't know of any administration that can be considered honest or trustworthy. No one should believe those with power and money. Especially when we're the ones who hand them both every day.

News is driven by an agenda just like everyone else.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   

And yet it is undisputed that Iraq actually has hundreds of tons of yellow cake uranium. I wonder where they got it.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   

[Thanks for completely manipulating my post...

Did I misunderstand what you were saying?
If so, I apologize for my misunderstanding.

I don't think you misunderstood my post, but you quoted it in a way to make it sound like I approved of the protesters treating thereturning soldiers like crap, which, if you had quoted my entire post instead of two sentences, you would have seen otherwise.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   

you quoted it in a way to make it sound like I approved of the protesters treating thereturning soldiers like crap.

It sounded like that to me. However, if you say that you did not
approve, I'll take you at your word.

Why should we thank people who treated others with so much vile
when other peaceful options were open to them to express their displeasure at the war? Even if they did some good in helping to
end the war, they did it in ways that were just plain wrong and
evil towards their fellow Americans.

Anyways... this is about CBS and we are getting off topic. I guess
we will have to agree to disagree on this.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join