It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ufo editorial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
hey I had to write an editorial for my english class so I chose to do one on my favorite subject, just posting it up here for you peeps to have a look at it.

UFO's : A Time for Acceptance
April 18, 2012

Between the realms of science and pseudoscience lies the UFO (unidentified flying objects) phenomenon. UFOs are a prevalent, consistent phenomenon spanning decades, even centuries through human history. This is no longer just the subject of science fiction and fantasy, unidentified flying objects have fixed themselves to our culture like the cargo cults of world war two. The Mutual UFO network or “mufon” stated in 2011 that sighting reports “have increased 67% in three years” coming to an average of 500 reports per month. This averages out to 17 reports per day, or 1.5 reports per hour. If we are to assume that 99% of these reports are misidentified aircraft, astral bodies or known phenomenon; we are left with 5 truly unidentified flying objects a month. This number is staggering when you think of the lack of government or scientific interest in the subject.

We are currently living in the post “911” age, a time where the perceived threat of “terrorism” is top priority in the aviation and military industries. Why then are reports of unidentified objects in the sky still thought of as tabloid nonsense? Should these reports not be taken as a serious national security risk? It is entirely possible that they are taken seriously, but any information gathered is not presented to the general public. This seems to be the general consensus within the UFO community.

It's not hard to understand why scientists do not take the subject seriously when many ufologists (those whom study UFO’s) choose to perpetrate hoaxes and pseudo-religious diatribe to sell books. That being said, scientists are very dedicated to discovering life outside the confines of our planet. On the forefront of their arsenal is SETI; the search for extraterrestrial intelligence. SETI uses an array of radio telescopes in an attempt to eavesdrop on other intelligent civilizations. Now you may say to yourself that this is an intelligent, ambitious approach, but is it really? On average, 500 people a month have, what they believe to be, visual confirmation of intelligently controlled craft not of this earth. The key word there is “visual”. SETI is using radio telescopes to try and hear what people are seeing every day. Now, which of these sounds more reasonable; “I am researching UFO reports” or “I am trying to hear aliens in space”. Its amusing to think that the multimillion dollar research project sounds more ludicrous than what the scientists in charge have been ridiculing for decades.

It is unclear whether or not the UFO mystery will ever be solved, but this back and forth bickering, name calling, and misinformation from both the mainstream, and UFO communities must first end for there to be any hope of moving forward. The decades of research, thousands of documents, tens of thousands of eye witness reports, and hundreds of hours of video evidence gathered by the UFO community is nothing to be scoffed at. It should be welcomed by the scientific community for expert analysis and scrutiny. It is unfortunate to think that we may already have enough evidence to confirm the existence of extra terrestrial intelligence, but though ridicule and egocentric thinking, the evidence may simply slip away into oblivion.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
SPAM removed by Admin
edit on Apr 19th 2012 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
very well written
I give you an A+

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
can we just LOOK at it?

or can we critique it, too?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Rathyas

lol you can critique it if you want, its just for a grade 12 english assignment so its not 100% my opinion, was just the easiest thing for me to write about

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

thanks! its always easier to write about something you have passion for

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by OUNjahhryn
reply to post by Rathyas

lol you can critique it if you want, its just for a grade 12 english assignment so its not 100% my opinion, was just the easiest thing for me to write about

just wanted permission to let you know it was good

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Rathyas

oh well in that case, permission granted

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Very well written...would pass nicely for a short college essay!

Speaking of which...what are you doing after High School?

I think you have a great start on some writing classes in college!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

I'm undecided, I'm actually 22, finishing my high school at a learning center. I was thinking about going into aviation management, since its the only thing the college in my town offers that is of slight interest.. What better way to look for ufo's than to manage an airport haha. Either that or something in earth sciences.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I'm undecided, I'm actually 22, finishing my high school at a learning center. I was thinking about going into aviation management, since its the only thing the college in my town offers that is of slight interest.. What better way to look for ufo's than to manage an airport haha. Either that or something in earth sciences.

Well I applaud you for finishing High School...and certainly at 22 years old!

You might just for the sake of trying it...enroll in college for one semester...and see how you like it.

It was my experience that college was an eye opener to a lot of things for me...and I ended up in a career I would have never seen myself in!

I think you would enjoy it...either way...nice piece of writing....you definitely have some potential there!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

thanks that really means a lot to me! I enjoy learning, even though I have been out of school for some time now, I made sure I continued to educate myself.

The economy forced me to re-evaluate myself and decide that I need some sort of future other than "would you like fries with that"- a classic educational warning line that you never quite understand until you're actually saying it hahaha.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Yes, regardless of how well you write, going into university with a goal to BE a writer, in my opinion, would be folly, unless you have a kinky masochistic fascination with starving.

For a career choice, I highly recommend doing something that will feed you, and feed you well. There's always time to write, if you have it in you.

edit on 19-4-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join