It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It Doesn’t Mean You’re Crazy – Talking to Yourself Has Cognitive Benefits, Study Finds

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
People recite speeches or playacts out-loud all the time. The Fallacy that talking to oneself is weird was started by not so intelligent people or people who don't need it to gain confidence. This gives certain people power over others.. I found that if I prepare myself for discussions by hearing my own voice and practicing my speech it is good for both intellect and confidence. I do not talk to myself though, I talk to the trees, the cats, the deer, and a few more living and nonliving things. They never complain about what I am saying either. It would be the best therapy for strokes and other cognitive problems. I think this study just levels the playing field. I always figured that since I was always talking to something it excluded me from being called crazy because I was talking to myself. Many people talk to what they are working on and that seems more normal. I see people swearing at things all the time if things aren't going right. It's all right to be crazy if you know how to shield it from others eyes
Remember that It's not good to say what you are thinking all the time around other people, that tends to get you into a lot of arguments. Don't insult others, insult the rocks.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
SPAM removed by Admin
edit on Apr 19th 2012 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Psychopaths and serial killers don't talk to themselves at all.....

So talking to yourself a little means your ok.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

I knew it all along.

If you can't even get along with yourself, how do you expect to get along with others?!!!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Psychopaths and serial killers don't talk to themselves at all.....

So talking to yourself a little means your ok.

That's very interesting!

Do you happen to have a link that talks about this handy?

I'm wondering how this relates to "theory of mind".

Oh nevermind, I get it. Self talking requires a splitting of self which the psychopath is incapable of.

Everyone who is capable of having a conscience is capable of splitting into at least three parts:

ID EGO and SUPEREGO.

A pyschopath has only their EGO, and the ID is not really an ID...they're aware of their animalistic desires, and prey on people to fulfill them.
edit on 19-4-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The stigma attached to talking to yourself didn't come about because talking to yourself is odd, It came about because people who do have mental problems are talking to the 1 or 2 stray voices in their heads, Not themselves.
edit on 19-4-2012 by Mart0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
what a beautiful way to start the morning, thank you op! i honestly thought i was going insane or at least something terribly wrong with me when i talk to my faceless self in the reflection in the mirror about the horrendous murders i am about to commit.

only fuggin, peace!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Personally I don't think of it as "talking to myself". I think of it as "thinking out loud". At least that's what I keep telling my self.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
If you talk to yourself you are crazy.

Different sections of the brain carry on their own routines much like the multiple eddy currents under a single large wave. They are all members of the same large wave.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Thanks for the post OP. I can understand using repetition to help one stay focused...am sure it helps.
However I'm still unsure as to this applying to others who have 5 min conversations with themselves lol...

But I'm open and skeptical at the same time...lol make sense?

As previous poster stated
: Thinking out loud should be the term for this...
edit on 21-4-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I told you you were ahead of the game.

Yeah I know but I wasn't sure the rest of the world would ever catch up.

Well, it looks like they finally did and now they know what you know.

If that's true then we need to figure out something else they don't know.

I tell my servers (I'm a restaurant manager) that the reason I talk to myself is that no one really understands me and it takes too long to explain what I mean to other people.
edit on 21-4-2012 by jadedANDcynical because: Typos even in self talk

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
As the creator you are all things. If you are all things then:

You are ONLY talking to yourself through other aspects of yourself and all of life is talking and interacting with yourself.

Why is it that when "science" officially says folks who talk to themselves are not crazy then we all breathe a sigh of relief? When did science become the great arbiter of all of life?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
All ready posted AboveTopSecret

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join