It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the censorship, ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
This thread and its creation has been permitted and encouraged by a mod as seen here:

Waiting for your response to OleMB. I'm sincerely interested in how you can rationalize the deletion of certain repeated topics while allowing other topics to be talked about repeatedly without closure or deletion.

Enlighten us, after all, you're a mod. (posted by Skepticesque)

That's not the issue here. Feel free to start a new thread to address that issue. (posted by Gemwolf)

I am not going to make this thread another thread that is directly suggesting ATS's affiliation with any external group. That isn't what this thread is for, nor what I'm trying to do. That being said, those of you who have seen certain things regarding ATS's questionable closure and deletion of threads may know what I am talking about.

Numerous topics are reposted on a daily basis. Whether it be earthquakes, 2012, etc. people are constantly reposting topics or making new threads inspired by other ones. It is only when there are threads that discuss the potential that ATS may have an external affiliation that the threads never see the light of day for long. In regards to last night, there are individuals who did not post a link, or even mention the video at all, yet just the mere notion that ATS may have external affiliations was enough for it to get closed and/or deleted. Many threads were not spamming, nor were they posting any links outside of ATS, and from what I saw many of the said threads were promoting civil discussion and answers from the staff.

This thread is not to debate the validity of any video. I understand completely as to why the said video was deleted. My question is asking why the Mods decide to delete certain topics when there are similar threads and yet leave other duplicate threads alone. I'm aware that the ToS states that Mods can delete any thread, and any post, without warning for any reason. Is this not suspicious, then? Topics they don't like hearing get deleted into oblivion, whilst other topics can be duplicated numerous times and it isn't even an issue. This is a conspiracy website, a site that claims to deny ignorance yet embraces it.

In the ATS affiliation example, I know clear and well, as do many members, that the video was not legitimate, and it has been claimed to be a hoax. The issue here, once again, is not the video, but how the situation was dealt with. I was told that the threads were deleted because it was people talking badly of ATS on ATS, and that wasn't right. Fair enough, except many of the threads weren't talking badly about ATS, they were simply discussing and bringing forth evidence to suggest or not suggest the claim.

Some answers from a mod would be nice in this situation. I was encouraged to make this thread, therefore if it is deleted, it is further proof that there is something flawed here.

edit on 19-4-2012 by Skepticesque because: wrong link.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
hmmmm...

What ever could you be talking about?

Enlighten me because I've never had a thread closed...Nope, not once.

Seriously tho, thanks for making this thread because it truly is something that should be discussed at length.

Peace

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Why don't you do like the most off us did Google it it all there
now you know why they are all leaving

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Are you incapable of learning? How many times do you need to be told that it is not appropriate to discuss closed threads this way. There are several avenues available PM a mod, use the Complaints button, PM the owners/administrators. This is not the way! Staff are very open to talking with people. They have asked repeatedly that members not do this, and here you are! Stop!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trillium
Why don't you do like the most off us did Google it it all there
now you know why they are all leaving

Google is a lot better search function.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
How long untill SkepticOverlord comes over to here and lords it over us all??

This thread will be closed and blamed on rehashed topic and terms and conditions...

ETA: us members cannot discuss banned members or closed threads but the staff can...double standards once again

edit on 19-4-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skepticesque

Oh, and the thread we were all redirected to was closed.

That link takes me to page 5 of a thread about a woman drinking massive amounts of coke and dying...

Conspiracy theorists should not drink coke? then why would the staff redirect to that thread? hmmm

disclosure-i know its obviously a typo on your part, just wanted to let you know.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I always thought the anti ATS things were just disgruntled members but like you said other duplicates get to stay and this thing couldn't be discussed at all. I'm fairly sure the video was a hoax, but the way it was handled makes me more leary about the mods...who I had no issues with personally until then. We were all directed to someplace to talk about it and it's now gone! WTF? I'm not saying I think the site is guilty of the accusations ...but I am saying by treating it like forbidden fruit (more so than any other taboo topic) it looks more suspicious. There are some people on here who already think EVERYTHING is a conspiracy, why fuel their fire?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

I realized.

Accidentally posted the wrong link -- was in a hurry. I decided to delete it all together as redirecting and discussing a closed thread might make this thread more susceptible to deletion.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Skepticesque

Yea I was a bit confused when I was redirected to the coke thread lol please post the other link at my request, although curiosity killed the cat...

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

I'll send you it in a u2u.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
ATS is doing what any business does.

Protecting their interests.

As to the "hoax" and "external affiliations"...well...best to leave that be.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Here's your answer... www.abovetopsecret.com...

ENOUGH already.

Springer...

top topics

join