It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the difference between love and respect?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
To me, love, in the sense that it is most widely used, actually means "prefer". So when you say, "I love you", most of the time, you are actually saying, "I prefer you". And this is a misuse of the word, "love" and is not love at all.

What I think love is is more closely related to what we call, "respect". And not respect in the controlling sense of the word, not the kind people say has to be earned (which i think is bulls***), but the kind of respect that is freely given. Respect for freedom of expression in living things. I think that is more closely what love is than the love we have defined as desire.

What say you?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Desire is a control mechanism. Control is the single most Godless agenda there is.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

i think LOVE is a catch all term to describe desire, respect, affection, and a bunch of other things. This is why when a child asks "what is love" most parents would rather explain where babies come from.

We have all, hopefully, been in love, but how can you describe it? You can't, without falling onto some of the terms you just mentioned.

I guess you need to define "love". Do you mean love of your friends and family? Love of a spouse? It's different.

I love my family, but I don't sit around longing to be with them, stay up at night thinking of them, etc.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

I guess you need to define "love". Do you mean love of your friends and family? Love of a spouse? It's different.

I defined it as what is actually what we call "respect".

I love my family, but I don't sit around longing to be with them, stay up at night thinking of them, etc.

That is what I would call obsessing, which is part of what people have been calling love as "desire". Desire, imo, is not love. As I said, desire is wanting what you don't have as opposed to appreciating what you do. Wanting what's not there as opposed to appreciating what is. Love and desire are not the same thing.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
The hardest thing in the world imho is to love unconditionally. It is possible to respect someone and not love them. It is much more challenging to love someone you do not respect.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
The hardest thing in the world imho is to love unconditionally. It is possible to respect someone and not love them. It is much more challenging to love someone you do not respect.

I disagree. If you do anything other than love a person, how do you respect them? Anything other than love would be hate right? If you don't accept who and what a person is, how is that respect? How is that love?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

If you do anything other than love a person, how do you respect them?

An example would be a Boss, or a Leader of some sort. I do not love them, but I would respect them, their judgement etc. Another would be someone in a field of endeavor I had need of, an expert. I would respect their education and knowledge, but I would not love them.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

love is the cheapest way of individual freedom to avoid being true while not looking against or opposed to anything else

truth is absolute superiority as a fact stand which became objectively existing, so real free absolute superior move

everyone prefer to call truth, love in thinking their ways of staying superior by never admitting else superiority

everyone here prefer to call gods the superiors reference, in meaning what they can get from as individual condition of beings

everyone drive is superiority while refuse categorically to respect objective superiority

if superiority is not objective then any superior drive cannot b
that is how all drives are evil ends through lies and monsteriosities

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

I disagree. If you do anything other than love a person, how do you respect them? Anything other than love would be hate right? If you don't accept who and what a person is, how is that respect? How is that love?

I still think it's better not to express acceptance of what another believes who and what they are. Everyone should think about themselves and accept themselves, instead of believing someone else's acceptance instead. Some people can express such acceptance so well one hardly has to think about it themselves. But never do that and it can be hard not to become dependent for that feeling of acceptance, making individuals weaker who seldom get respect. Not saying people should be mean either.

For respect to be worth something, it can't be given away to just anyone. Most importantly, what if you respect people just like that and then years later they turn out to be bad people? Bad people don't want to earn respect, they have very little respect for others themselves. It's too much hard work for them to be genuine and sincere, such people usually have their methods to get on someone's good side and make them believe whatever they want and take advantage of them. So it's a good thing respect has to be earned, it's like a filter to keep people out who are not going anywhere in life or give you a hard time, those quickly give up whatever scheme they had in mind and move on to someone else to take advantage of.
edit on 19/4/2012 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
love is the absence of nonacceptance to a person regarding differences.
love is the creation of time by the union of at least 2 persons conducting what i said before.

respect is placing someone in a context that can be outside of the context of that person in honesty.

love is different than respect because with love i do not have to respect you.
respect is different than love because it requires i identify how i perceive you; mostly in a social contractual sense, and i do not have to love you to place you in a context of persay exaltation.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I think "love" is an irrational attraction. It can't be explained or defined and it stems from someplace guttural and doesn't make any sense. It can be overwhelming, and even dangerous as in "crimes of passion." It can be great and powerful also, but it always rides that dangerous line.

"Respect" is pretty simple. Respect can be justified, explained, rationalized. We respect people for specific reasons. Maybe they accomplished something we idolize, or maybe they have tenacity or morality. Maybe they are steadfastly honest. Maybe they are just the only people that ever showed interest or care in our lives. Whatever the reason, "respect" is something given for concrete reasons, while love is something that happens involuntarily and we can only hope to somehow keep it civil.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Respect is an assurance that you take someone else and their opinions and hold them with importance. This is only one aspect of love. Love is like a container into which you put all good things and positive thoughts ie. - You would never wish any type of harm neither physical nor emotional towards another person with which you share love. I say share because it is a container that you both use. It is a two way street.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
Desire, imo, is not love. As I said, desire is wanting what you don't have as opposed to appreciating what you do. Wanting what's not there as opposed to appreciating what is. Love and desire are not the same thing.

There are different ways to love.

...different types ,ie. conditional and unconditional

...many interpretations of what defines it

Romantic love is much comprised of desire, and as you imply, motivated by an intense personal interest...dependent on material reality - 'acts' of giving and recieving- and nurtured over time via direct experience...can be fleeting, etc.,etc. Most of us know this kind of love.

You are right. unconditional love does not require any of this. It's foundation is unconditional acceptance. And though not defined by desire or preference, a type of attachment is apart of it, even if briefly; to be able to grasp the appreciation neccessary for making the love connection.

one can experience both types at the same time, or one or the other when it comes to relatinships. From my point of view, a relationship based on romantic love is difficult to maintain long term, especially when differences that are not accepted are glaring enough to cause conflict.

Another thing, although not given freely, conditional 'love' is easier to come by. Its the ritual 'dance' we perform in our quest to connect or reconnect with the objects of our attention. It is just as easy lost too. To be able to love someone or something unconditionally is fraught with much difficulty. This requires personal development of traits like true self love and self awareness, and how you fit into the 'grand scheme'.

You start to realize the connections between you and everyone and everything around you. Once you know this, it is easy to both accept and appreciate those things. And if you choose, 'it' can expand into something more than an intellectual activity. You eventually start to 'feel' this type of love. It becomes real to you in every possible way that you can percieve of it.

*Enough rambling for now*

Just my 2 cents

Take care

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

If you do anything other than love a person, how do you respect them?

An example would be a Boss, or a Leader of some sort. I do not love them, but I would respect them, their judgement etc. Another would be someone in a field of endeavor I had need of, an expert. I would respect their education and knowledge, but I would not love them.

Why not? Maybe you love them without acknowledging or even being aware that you do. Do you like them? Like and love are the same thing to me.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Love is what women want. Respect is what men want.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lawgiver
Love is what women want. Respect is what men want.

I think a good argument could be said for exactly the opposite!!

Men usually have respect, but crave love, woman are usually quick to love or be loved, but strive for respect. Or so the cliche goes. "Will you respect me in the morning?" Not love.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

How can superiority even be real if all is one?

There is no existential supreriority and God is existence. Its not that truth is superior, truth is just what is. There is nothing other than truth. You have the freedom to be aware of truth or not. The more aware you are, the more aware you are of truth because there is nothing else.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ausar
i do not have to love you to place you in a context of persay exaltation.

I believe to love a person, that's exactly what you have to do.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

maybe none of us are really here. Maybe I am part of your imagination.

Maybe I meant what I said, for the level and context I was using as reference..

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonfly79

For respect to be worth something, it can't be given away to just anyone. Most importantly, what if you respect people just like that and then years later they turn out to be bad people?

There is no such thing as a bad person. Right now, you're showing that you don't know anything about respect.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join