It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Museum burns contemporary art (Italy)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
This act made me take notice. It's so very distressing that they have to resort to this ... but not as shocking as those two Italian men burning themselves to death in protests.

---

A museum in Italy has resorted to burning artwork to protest cuts that its leader sees as unfair and destructive. The Casoria Contemporary Art Museum in Naples plans to burn three paintings a week to protest what is perceived as the government's war against art.

www.latimes.com...

I hope the link pasted successfully as I'm a newbie. If not look under google - news - Italy burn art.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Yeah, they really don't have much common sense over there. Corrupt politicians, idiots in charge of the museums, violent citizens, lazy workers. Kind of a disgraceful nation.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
That remark seems very unfair to me, how did you arrive at this assessment?

----------

Italians are proud of their artistic heritage. Museums, churches, courtyards and statues all over the country proudly display to a watching world the treasures of some of the greatest artists: Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Raphael, to name just a few. Opera is also an Italian creation. From highly educated city dwellers to simple farmers or poor villagers, all the people know opera and enjoy singing it boldly while they work. Many know entire scores of operas by Rossini, Verdi and Puccini, and will attend an operatic performance whenever possible.

Whether living in a large city or a tiny village, the people of Italy work hard and enjoy their leisure time. It is common for the people to work five full days and then a half day on Saturday, but unlike we busy Americans, Italians will take a lengthy lunch break each day, often going home and spending several hours eating and resting, before returning to work for several more. In the evenings, hearty meals are adoringly prepared and savored, and the people can often be found strolling and socializing late into the evening.

www.lifeinitaly.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Once there was a time when Italians were artistic, cultural, productive, and charming. Those times have past. Try going to one of their football (soccer) matches one day. You will see how far they have fallen from their pinnacle. Barbaric people who seem clueless about how to turn it around in their country.
edit on 19-4-2012 by ProtectedWitness because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtectedWitness
Yeah, they really don't have much common sense over there. Corrupt politicians, idiots in charge of the museums, violent citizens, lazy workers. Kind of a disgraceful nation.

C'mon, that description could just as easily apply to us right here in the good 'old US of A.

Everybody has corrupt governement and an overabundance of lazy, violent workers and citizens. The whole world is going down the crapper while we watch from the sidelines.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

C'mon, that description could just as easily apply to us right here in the good 'old US of A.

Everybody has corrupt governement and an overabundance of lazy, violent workers and citizens. The whole world is going down the crapper while we watch from the sidelines.

Haha, we are just as bad, if not worse. We peaked about 12 years ago. Our country has become too big to manage.
edit on 19-4-2012 by ProtectedWitness because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
It looks like it's the era of the protester for that seems to be all we can do on our way down the crapper.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Here is the second artist burning his work. I don't think it will stop with these two artists.

edition.cnn.com...

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This is an interesting development; overt protest works of art have been relatively rare in the Western world in recent decades, but in the last two years have become increasingly prominent (actually I just wrote a blog post about it: agoraartgalleryblog.com...). This is such an extreme example - most artists are incredibly emotionally attached to their work, which represents so much about them - that it will be worth watching to see if it sparks any other similar efforts as a result. It may be that the frustration and anger so many people are feeling may be best expressed through art. They say an image is worth a thousand words, and that's just as true whether you're thinking about expressing an idea or persuading other people of one. Watch this space.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Art is still being burned in Italy and similar protests are happening in Germany, England and Wales.

www.newser.com...

CAM art war:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by InTheLight

While austerity can cause people to do crazy, desperate, and aweful things. This may just be minor incident, But in light of all the aweful things that come with austerity (IE no cash) has anybody thought MAYBE they did it to collect insurence?

Just a thought

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
There are college student/artists of no known fame burning their art too. No, I am sure it's not for insurance collection purposes. Artists are usually impassioned people, so I would expect this type of reaction, push back, protest to happen from a non-selfish standpoint.

edit on 16-6-2012 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join