It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists solve the mystery of how beer goggles work

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Scientists solve the mystery of how beer goggles work

If you've ever had one too many and tumbled into bed with a vision, only to be greeted in the morning by a sight you'd gnaw off your own arm to escape, take heart.

It won't make the memory any less painful, but you can take comfort from the fact that there is now academic underpinning for the effect known commonly as "beer goggles".

In scientific terms, even a little alcohol reduces the ability to assess facial symmetry, which plays a key role in attractiveness and human mate selection.

The effect is particularly pronounced in women, with female drinkers less able to distinguish between attractive and not so attractive men after just a couple of vodkas.

Facial symmetry, where one side of the face mirrors the other, is thought to have evolved as a mark of attractiveness as it signifies good genes.

Dr Lewis Halsey said

"What we have shown is that people's ability to detect symmetry is part of the explanation for the beer goggle effects.

"The consequences could be considerable. A lot of people say they met their partner when they were drunk. Are their marriages shorter or longer lasting? Does it change the nature of the relationship?"

The Indepedent

So the beer goggles effect prevents people judging facial symmetry, especially women?

Luckily, I didn't meet my wife when she was drunk.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
here let me help you edit out what isn't pertinent
and just get down to the important stuff:

women who say that they like the taste of beer are more likely to have sex on the first date.

beer.about.com...

edit on 19-4-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Im so grateful scientific funding is going towards unlocking such mysteries of the universe!

I hope public funding did not pay for this. Hopefully some rich, ugly dude or dudette who wanted to find the best way to find a mate paid for this.

Naw, it was probably taxpayer money.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
They really wasted money to study this?
It has nothing to do with facial symmetry or w/e. Drinking lowers your inhibitions, end of story.
That cost nothing and took all of 2 minutes.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
here let me help you edit out what isn't pertinent
and just get down to the important stuff:

women who say that they like the taste of beer are more likely to have sex on the first date.

beer.about.com...

HAHAHAHAHA!
Wheres a blush smiley when you need one?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
They really wasted money to study this?
It has nothing to do with facial symmetry or w/e. Drinking lowers your inhibitions, end of story.

But people do look more attractive to me when I am drunk, so there is more to it than just lowered inhibitions.

Will this research ever earn any money though? I kind of doubt it which suggests it is a waste of money.

top topics

join