It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You people need to start believing in yourselves

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I owe you an apology, ATS. There have been a number of threads in this forum, where there is a story of police brutality in various forms, and there will always be someone in the thread, saying that they are completely fine with that level of police intrusion into people's lives, and that it's really nothing to worry about. I used to get angry with those people, but I've realised that I was taking the wrong approach.

I've realised that the reason why people do that, though, is because they are willing to literally die before they stop believing that the government fundamentally has good intentions towards them. Even when it doesn't; even when they are being loaded onto trains in order to be taken to concentration camps, and they know it...they will still remain passive...they won't resist. Why is that?

I used to wonder, but I think I've figured it out.

Most of you fundamentally don't believe in yourselves. You don't believe in your ability to survive, purely based on your own efforts. I've noticed that one thing which all of the libertarians here have in common, and that is a belief that the reason why they don't need government, is because they know how to wipe their own backsides.

That's also the reason why there are people who will go to Occupy protests etc on the one hand, and there are others who are willing to be herded into their cubicles like good little battery chickens, day after day. They need to be told where to be, and what to do. They don't have the initiative required to be self-determining, and they're too timid.

At the risk of advocating something taboo, here, a lot of you people really need to develop some ego. I'm a complete narcissist. At times when I'm bored, I'll actually Google my posting history on a number of different forums, and not just this one. Some of you have commented on the number of threads I've started, and the main reason why, is because I simply can't shut up. I developed a superhero complex while playing WoW; as stupid as it was, I started thinking of my avatar as the proverbial mask.

Most of you need to get some of that yourselves, believe it or not; and the reason why, is because when you start to think more highly of yourselves, you also start believing that you don't need other people to tell you how to think. You start to feel that you don't actually want other people doing everything for you, because you can do it better than they can a lot of the time, anyway.

I think a lot of people have been ground down, which is the problem. You go to school, and you get told that you're garbage, pretty much from day one. That continues for 12 years, and then you either go to college where you get some arrogant professor telling you, and then you go to a regular job, where chances are you'll get put down by the usual sociopathic employer, or made to feel like crap by the customers you have to deal with.

Here's a thought. Be willing to have some minor delusions of grandeur. Even if it's only a complete fantasy. As long as it is nothing harmful, then it won't matter if it's not true at first. That should come, and it will later, but you will need to pretend a little at first, and that's fine. Get an account in Dungeons and Dragons Online, and even if only completely vicariously, go through the proverbial Hero's Journey. You will be surprised at how much you learn about yourself...and the sense of competence it can actually give you.

Once you've done that for a while, then you can get to the point where you're ready to stop pretending, and can actually carry it into the real world. I went interstate for the first time last year, which was pretty scary...but I managed it, and it was a very positive experience in the end. I'll probably travel overseas at some point. Learn some Survivalism. If you doubt your ability to look after yourself, the only way to overcome that is to learn.

Understand that by being a timid person, you're actually robbing yourself of life, because timidity means that you don't get to experience anywhere near as much as you might otherwise. Up until recently, I myself learned that the hard way. Courage might seem like a very difficult thing in this society, especially because in the case of Americans in particular you have a government with a vested interest in keeping you afraid. You will find, however, that it becomes its' own reward, in time. The more you believe that you are capable of, the more you'll end up doing, which keeps reinforcing itself.
edit on 19-4-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
This is lovely, I love seeing some goodwill and general advice on making yourself a better person, being spread freely.

Although what do you mean by the Superhero Complex? As far as i've ever known, people with a hero complex create a dangerous situation, so that they can save people from it and take credit for being a hero?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by domasio
\

Although what do you mean by the Superhero Complex? As far as i've ever known, people with a hero complex create a dangerous situation, so that they can save people from it and take credit for being a hero?

I think he is just meaning that we should all think of ourselves as a super hero.
I know I do.

No, I really do.
I think I am a super hero.
If that makes me _________ then so be it.
I have a self esteem.
I have many of the qualities that the OP speaks of and NONE of the ones that contribute to the passive timid complacent happy slave mentaltiy that comprises most of our country.

When we are too afraid to question authority or even question the "way things have always been" then we are ripe for the pickin' to be herded as cattle.

I question absolutely EVERYTHING!!!!
I follow NO social norms.(well, almost none) I do use toilet paper.
I pave my own way.
If I question something and it doesn't make sense, I stop doing it.
I do not even wear a wedding ring and neither does my wife.
WHY?
The question is why would we?
It makes no sense!!!
It's a custom that everyone jusdt does but no one stop to ask...."Hey, why in the hell do I have to wear this uncomfortable hunk of metal on my finger to prove that I love you"

I HATE THAT!!!!

I have to agree with the OP on this one.
People need to think more highly of themselves.
This will lend itself to having the courage and self esteem to ask questions like........WHY!
Just be prepared for the answers you get.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Oh no, I agree completely that people need to think more of themselves other than just another old statistic or number, I was just asking if the OP meant the mental disorder, or what you described in terms of thinking of yourself as a Superhero.

I'm the same, at questioning everything. Wedding rings, yeah, are a totally useless tradition. I think they are basically a way to keep tabs on people, for instance if you are in a bar chatting to someone and you have a wedding ring on, you are more likely to be completely monogamous, which is ridiculous, because if you love the person you marry, then a wedding ring (as you said) wouldn't be the way to prove it.

Btw, the toilet roll comment ... priceless

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Humans should have pride in themselves. We have come a long way. Pride gives dignity to one. Without dignity in life, we are no more than slaves and cattle.

The world is a dangerous place. Should we :-

Talk loudly but carry a small stick, or

Talk softly but carry a big stick?

( The question is posed to those whom are prideful or have their minds ego self inflated so huge that nothing except self centredness exists in the cranium)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Its fear. People get up every morning in fear. They've brainwashed people into being scared that the bank/mortgage man or the car dealership or the utility company or tax man or the policeman or the judge is going to get them if they don't obey. Even the riducule of their so called friends for going against the grain and norms. All these people have blood and bones and put their pants on just like I do so why should I have to rely on them to tell me what I can and can't do as long as it pertains to me. If it wasn't for the threat of incarceration would they have any power? Of course not and they know this. It's fear plain and simple.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by cashvillian
Its fear. People get up every morning in fear. They've Even the riducule of their so called friends for going against the grain and norms.

This hits the nail on the head for ALMOST EVERYONE!!!!!!!

The things people will do in order to "fit in".
We are social creatures and a certain amount of this is natural but
I believe it is our duty to resist falling into this mindset.

We are our own police.
We police eachother.
We police eachothers speech
We police eachothers thoughts
We police eachothers actions
We police eachothers feelings
We police eachothers emotions.
We police eathothers decisions
We police eachothers ideas

None of us are ever EVER going to be truely free until we stop giving a SHEET what other people think.

I gave up the habit years ago and I have never been more happy or free.

If you don't believe me try it sometime.

On your drive home from the office tonight try picking your nose without giving two squirts of piss whether someone is watching you. You know you do it anyway but usually you stop, mid-pick, until they pass by then you resume digging for that sweet green gold.
This time DON'T STOP MID-PICK!!!

Force yourself to go against your programming!!!!!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

None of us are ever EVER going to be truely free until we stop giving a SHEET what other people think.

I truly hope you don't believe this absolutely, rather as a general, watered down principal of having self-confidence.

It's equally, if not more so important to at least consider what someone has to say, before weighing it against your own internal set of rules.

I agree that most people rely heavily on extroverted feeling to navigate in this world, but not considering what people have to offer is ....indicative of a serious personality disorder.

Oh, and I see your picking boogers in public, and raise you ripping a loud one in public, and laughing at everyone who gives me a funny look directly afterwards.

edit on 19-4-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Oh C'mon. You played an Orc and we're supposed to take you seriously? (Just kidding, just kidding).

I played an Orc hunter, back when they were OP. Loved the race and class. Haven't played in years though.

I have to admit, that when I first read your post I was a wee bit offended. But on further consideration I realised that it is my own insecurities, and the protection of them, that caused the feeling of having my "toes stepped on".
The main point of your post is something that I have only recently faced within myself and have been pro-actively working on: over coming my fears, my timidity, and my lack of self power. Long, long way to go yet, but posts like this are inspiring( as well as some of the replies..
) I'm just trying to be careful that I don't go too far the other way, (I tend to be an extremist), which was how I originally took what you wrote.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I agree. I think the same applies to those who believe they are aliens, prophets, crystal children, reincarnations of famous people etc. I try not to ridicule them because I respect their need to feel special and important. They are special, important and unique no matter what title they give themselves, just as we all are. I agree totally with everything you said.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Lakotas

Gotta say, on the idea of avatars like the OP said.....

Yours is pretty kewl
didn't notice it at first in 3D

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

After what level, in regard to my elvin centaur character, will I gain the skill/ability to survive purely based on my own efforts? Should I also create an account on world of warcraft? Maybe I should play minecraft - that game seems fairly instructional; just watch out for the creepers.

In all honesty, though, I did play D&D when I was a kid and it did have an enlightning effect; that's why I go around acting like Thor.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

You people need to start believing in yourselves
Because if you don't life will just pass you by

Understand that by being a timid person, you're actually robbing yourself of life, because timidity means that you don't get to experience anywhere near as much as you might otherwise.

Or you could say
It's time to grow a pair man up and fight your corner

Cran

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Well, I don't have much belief in the ability of big government to control the money and to tell it's citizens the truth of all the stuff that has transpired over the year. I don't think that all our congressmen are bad either. Our Economy followed the wrong path. Admit it government, you were led to believe a lie. Quit making up lies to cover up mistakes. Don't keep giving money to those who kept promising for years to fix this thing. Then we can start to heal.

I believe our local police here are pretty good. We have a few bad cops but one bad apple doesn't spoil the bushel. People keep forgetting why we created lots of these laws. Trouble is laws have got complex and are full of loopholes. We need to get rid of lawyers that complicate everything and simplify laws. Stealing is stealing, rape is rape, murder is murder, assault is assault. If found guilty, got to jail. If you take someones metal off their property without written permission stating exactly what is to be taken, you go to trial. Get rid of civil court where people sue each other and put laws into action to punish people for their crimes and reimburse the innocent. Most crimes are cons that are not covered by laws. No jail time. I'm thinking we should do away with laws and practices protecting criminals.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by capob
reply to post by petrus4

After what level, in regard to my elvin centaur character, will I gain the skill/ability to survive purely based on my own efforts?

This is a familiar pattern among people who respond to me.

a] Misinterpret what was said.
b] Disagree with misinterpretation of what was said, not what actually was said.
c] Become angry.
d] Engage in vindictive, sarcastic trolling, and/or personal attacks, motivated by anger generated.

The point is to encourage a sense of competence which yes, at first is entirely vicarious and unreal. You don't *stay* at that point, though; you use the positive emotion that has been generated from engaging in vicarious activities, to then eventually propel you forward to engaging in real ones.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

reply to post by petrus4

After what level, in regard to my elvin centaur character, will I gain the skill/ability to survive purely based on my own efforts?

a] Misinterpret what was said.
b] Disagree with misinterpretation of what was said, not what actually was said.
c] Become angry.
d] Engage in vindictive, sarcastic trolling, and/or personal attacks, motivated by anger generated.

The point is to encourage a sense of competence which yes, at first is entirely vicarious and unreal. You don't *stay* at that point, though; you use the positive emotion that has been generated from engaging in vicarious activities, to then eventually propel you forward to engaging in real ones.

a] Misinterpret the intention of what I said
b] Try to correct me based on the misinterpretation

Yes, I understood this virtual (not vicarious) competence and the potential for good it has. However, in what was apparently a very subtle way, (I say apparently because of your reaction), I was expressing doubt that your D&D would resolve the issues that people had, or even that people had the issue you said they had.

Your logic going from "I've realised that the reason why people do that, though, is because they are willing to literally die before they stop believing that the government fundamentally has good intentions towards them. "

to

"I used to wonder, but I think I've figured it out.

Most of you fundamentally don't believe in yourselves.
"

and

"
That's also the reason why there are people who will go to Occupy protests etc on the one hand, and there are others who are willing to be herded into their cubicles like good little battery chickens, day after day."

Leaves quite a lot to be desired. But, if you can find someone who reads through ATS forums and can benefit by going and playing D&D, more power to you- hahahahahahah.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Leaves quite a lot to be desired. But, if you can find someone who reads through ATS forums and can benefit by going and playing D&D, more power to you- hahahahahahah.

You actually had me listening to you...up until the laughter.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

You actually had me listening to you...up until the laughter.

My friend, I laugh a lot, irregardless of the appropriateness. You see, I would imagine that if you were to post this thread on a forum where the members were not already inclined to be free thinkers, the solution you offer might be more applicable; however, I doubt you would get a positive response on such a forum.

And, further, the protected environment of video games, similar to the protected environment of D&D, can lead to dependency on the protection; ie, it could build confidence or it can set someone up for failure. I would say there might be better activities to recommend; like going door to door to meet your neighbors; visiting city counsel meetings to express your opinion; etc.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

And, further, the protected environment of video games, similar to the protected environment of D&D, can lead to dependency on the protection; ie, it could build confidence or it can set someone up for failure. I would say there might be better activities to recommend; like going door to door to meet your neighbors; visiting city counsel meetings to express your opinion; etc.

The problem is that people don't want to do that, because of their already existing levels of fear. If they sit here and read ATS, then all they are getting is a constant diet of reasons as to why they should never go outside, because they're likely to get bashed or shot by the police, or breathe in chemtrails.

So unfortunately, that means that they absolutely do need a protected environment to start with. A totally unprotected, unmediated environment is more than most people can stand. It is more than I can, most of the time.

I will link something else here, that you or someone else will probably find some excuse to express derision towards, as well. This is a playlist of other material that I have found extremely psychologically beneficial.

Bashar - Positive self-affirmation.

You mentioned people here being freethinkers. In that I consider there to be an enormous degree of irony, because I have consistently observed, among many people, that the practical definition of freethinking, seems to be to express sneering derision towards any idea which exists outside of said "free thinker's" usual belief system. That to me, has never seemed like genuine free thought; but precisely the opposite.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

The problem is that people don't want to do that, because of their already existing levels of fear. If they sit here and read ATS, then all they are getting is a constant diet of reasons as to why they should never go outside, because they're likely to get bashed or shot by the police, or breathe in chemtrails.

So unfortunately, that means that they absolutely do need a protected environment to start with. A totally unprotected, unmediated environment is more than most people can stand. It is more than I can, most of the time.

I will link something else here, that you or someone else will probably find some excuse to express derision towards, as well. This is a playlist of other material that I have found extremely psychologically beneficial.

Bashar - Positive self-affirmation.

You mentioned people here being freethinkers. In that I consider there to be an enormous degree of irony, because I have consistently observed, among many people, that the practical definition of freethinking, seems to be to express sneering derision towards any idea which exists outside of said "free thinker's" usual belief system. That to me, has never seemed like genuine free thought; but precisely the opposite.

"So unfortunately, that means that they absolutely do need a protected environment to start with."
I don't think you got what I meant to convey in the last post. The protected environment and lead to an addiction and dependence on the protected environment; such that the environment is an escape. If your aim is to get into a pool, I rather have someone stick their toe in than play a video game where they jump in. The paranoia that the police are going to get you breeds the environment where the police do come and get you! Just like, for instance, they tell you not to run when you spot a bear. The psychological state of fear encourages those that feed on it. I would, instead, say, participate in the most minor thing you can regarding outdoors-real life stuff. For instance, maybe start by going to a movie by yourself or with a friend. Once you get comfortable with that, go to a bar. Then, maybe a bowling ally or tennis court, and see if you might join someone. Then, after those baby steps, try going door to door to meet your neighbors.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join