It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Profiling......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
pro•fil•ing
noun /ˈprōˌfīliNG/ 
1. The recording and analysis of a person's psychological and behavioral characteristics, so as to assess or predict their capabilities in a certain sphere or to assist in identifying a particular subgroup of people.

We all profile every day it’s also called instinct.

Example if you are walking down a dark street late at night are you more concerned with the 60 year old lady sitting at the bus stop or the young man wearing baggy jeans standing at the corner?

So did you “profile” of course you did the old lady presents little or no threat. I don’t think it makes you a bad person it makes you human.

The topic was on cnn this morning and it just pisses me off. It is the job of law enforcement to profile it used to be called looking for suspicious behavior.

This is short but I hope I made my point I just get tired of the hypocrisy.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
i think you have to read the book stupid white men by micheal moore.
the first paragraph will speak volumes to you!
i'm the guy wearing baggy pants and a hoodie. and i'm covered with tattoos.
but i'm also the guy thats sitting next to the little old lady having a nice conversation!
like the old saying goes,you can't judge a book by its cover. or how the media trains sheeple how to think!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Profiling is a dirty, evil disgusting word, because it uses truth to exist.

Anything that is entrenched in truth that is better left untouched for fear of being seen a discrimination, is an evil disgusting thing by default.

"The suspect was wearing a hat." is all we'll ever get if it continues this way. Gone are the days where a physical description was required to help catch a crook.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm saying we all do it that it is just part of the human psyche. People who say they don't are either lying or in denial.

You can say you don't but we both know you do it's okay it's not your fault.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm saying we all do it that it is just part of the human psyche. People who say they don't are either lying or in denial.

there's a difference between profiling and racial profiling.

Determining that the "thuggy" looking guy is more of a threat than grandma is one thing, seeing anyone who happens to be black as a threat, because they are black, is something entirely different.

I didn't see the cnn piece you are talking about, but I suspect it was about racial profiling.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Crime is not as simple as race, it often has complex socioeconomic reasons behind it, poverty tends to cause crime not race.

It is a sad reality of our world that socioeconomic factors are often divided on racial lines.

It is simplistic to blame race as the sole factor, and it is arrogant to ignore it as a factor.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I think it was about racial profiling. I watched it for about 10 seconds and turned the tv off got on my computer and started ranting.
(i love the days we live in.)

I agree that racial profiling is an example of extreme ignorance.

My little scenario didn't say anything about race to me it is irrelevant.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

unlike the police or idiotic neighborhood watch with a gun
[unless,of course, you are a cop posting to justify himself]
your profiling/judging somebody based on their appearance
doesn't get that someone harassed/beaten/crippled or killed

or turn it around
how would these profiling cops and authoritarians like it
if they were harassed/beaten/crippled or killed
because somebody profiled them as a sociopathic cop ?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
So employers who won't hire someone wearing short sleeves and shorts to an interview is considered profiling right?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Someones put a bork on me. i cant post in another forum in reply to a post to me, and this is a redundant reply to a thread to test if it was suddenly just entirely me.

odd........ hrmm

edit on 19-4-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

top topics

join