It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory ‘Big Brother’ Black Boxes In All New Cars From 2015

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
We are entering a time where no one has secrets. It will be a hard pill to swallow, but I think it is just the thing to fix the planet.

edit on 19-4-2012 by Templeton because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Not being spied on, no rights are being trampled

You aren't paying enough attention.

This chump sounds like a not so bright cop.

Well, I'm in the D/FW area, and was driving around without my license one day to get groceries.

Guess what?

Was never pulled over, the truck isn't in my name, nor is the toll tag, and I didn't run a red light, BUT!! I received a letter from the state that said they had EVIDENCE that I was driving without my license, and so was fined for it.

WTF

Those cameras which are posted everywhere...at least some of them have the ability to recognize YOU by face, and will search the faces scanned against a database to find ways to suck out more money from you.

If that's not being spied on, what is?!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Oh brother ! this has been around for a long time it is for the air bag system . It does not track you just records the info for accidents ! Give me a break . And on another note what makes you so important that the govt. would need to know where you are ?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trillium
Hate to tell you this but all electronic igintion vehicle since the 90 have
a memory chip that record this already just not sure off how far back it goes
sec. or min.

this new box may have GPS a year off data

Electronic ignitions do not have a chip that records anything you do for seconds or minutes.'

To the guy that said he would drive used cars or take the bus......The bus has TSA agents......

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

The funny thing is, that if you have purchased a used vehicle from a "buy here pay here" car lot. Then you already have a black box.
If you miss a payment, your vehicle will become inoperative, and gps location will be given.

Outside of that though, I do not see a purpose. What is that data gonna tell you? Your GPS location. If you have onstar that stuff is already going on. Besides that, the OBD2 system that has been installed on most vehicles since 1994 can tell you just about anything else.

So to me this is just another reason to run a stand alone fuel management system. The gov has already had there noses into my vehicles for to long. With emissions, speed limiters, and the likes.

Ultimately though, when it all comes down to it. It will be something that ultimately can be removed, or disabled. I do not care, how hard wired it is into the pcm. It is always possible to reprogram a pcm, thats why the cars in america are usually so watered down, you have to buy an after market chip just to get what the vehicle was originally designed to do. If you can't find one, you make one. Or with like the RX-8 you here the term reflash the pcm. If the device is external there will be ways to confuse it, or send it false signals, or completely bypass the system.

This is not a concern.

Originally posted by mwood

Originally posted by Trillium
Hate to tell you this but all electronic igintion vehicle since the 90 have
a memory chip that record this already just not sure off how far back it goes
sec. or min.

this new box may have GPS a year off data

Electronic ignitions do not have a chip that records anything you do for seconds or minutes.'

To the guy that said he would drive used cars or take the bus......The bus has TSA agents......

Electronic ignitions do not, but the OBD2 system does. In other words, on board diagnostics 2. Now obd1 did not save anything. But the OBD2 system does record data. I can tap into it with my scanner and tell many many things about the vehicle. Especially if a malfuntion indicator light (MIL) is on. It has "freeze frame" where it save exactly what was going on for a set time period.

But again I ask why? What else do you want to know? Steering angle? Braking degree? Some of your more advanced vehicles have these. due to excelerometers (cant spell). And is able to record data if a trigger is set, either a MIL or some other programming within the system. Now does it save speed? Well do to great things like ABS and traction control. You have wheel speed sensors. And in the freeze frame data it will. You can see exactly which wheel sensor went bad.

So ya, all this is already available, especially with GPS.
edit on 19-4-2012 by MoosKept240 because: add

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sageofmonticello

You mean, I am sure OUR funding... Government doesn't generate money, they tax, remember?

Wrong, its our taxes, but once its in the governments wallet, the spending is at the discretion of the government. We elect the government officials, but they pass the legislation that decides what happens with their funds, remember?

Yes, and these cameras are also being challenged in court.

Wrong. The data isn't being challenged in court. What's being challenged in court is the legality of the retroactive fines that people receive. There is nothing illegal about setting up cameras in intersection and collecting data. Its public property.

What fine print are you talking about? I didn't sign anything to get my license? I did pay a fee for the pleasure of sitting at the DMV for 3 hours though. You are talking out of your butt here and you know it.

www.drunkdrivinglawyers.com...

In California, when you obtain a driver's license, you are also agreeing to "Implied Consent". I'm not sure what state you live in, but it probably has an identical law.

Sure they will. Yea, your right and I am sure you can show me where this is published? Oh you can't? Guess you are just making up more facts now huh?

news.cnet.com...

www.wired.com...

Come on dude, a simple google search will answer that for you. Above are just two articles discussing pros and cons. Feedback and concerns are being collected to help shape future policy. Courts are debating on what will be legal or not. States are deciding what can and cant be used against a civilian. Lobbyist acting on behalf of consumers are getting involved. You yourself can email your representative and give your two cents. Etc.

If you want a black box in your car, go get one. What is wrong with me being able to choose for myself if I want one?

I own a car manufactured by GM. So it already has one. I haven't been victimized yet. I don't know anyone who has been victimized yet.

Also, if you are wondering, I am not a cop. I work in finance. And I am thinking about how I can make money off of this.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
got some solutions:

1) do not drive

2) use an older car
3) use a jammer
4) find another way to block the output (like copper mash around the black box.

Example of device from Google :

Frequencies blocked: GPS/GSM/CDMA/DCS/PHS
Effective jamming range of up to 10 meters
Powerful pocket-sized

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

It's alright guys. We already know from 9/11 that black boxes are destroyed by fire!

Wait until they load these with wireless communication devices so they know where everyone is at every time. It's for their protection of course, not ours. They want to monitor everyone because they are scared poopless of what will eventually come down on them. If it won't be the people, it will be something else. As they say, what goes around, comes around. It might take some time, but you will get what you gave served back to you eventually. The worse you do, the worse it will be when it catches up to them.

Or, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they are already devastated and living in continual fear because they know they've hurt so many people. Maybe that is their punishment. They don't appear to be living freely to me. They appear to be sheltered and paranoid. Even Henry Kissinger said something to the effect of, "Anyone in Washington who isn't paranoid must be crazy."

...hardly a life anyone would enjoy living. Maybe we should be glad not to be them.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtectedWitness

I work in finance. And I am thinking about how I can make money off of this.

That explains it all. I am not surprised you have taken the position that you have. Good Day, enjoy your profits.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
No way I would put it in there. Do you think those classic car owners, expensive ferrari owners and lambo owners are going to go with this? hahaha. They will not even let a dandelion or a woman touch the car let alone the government.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
big brother can suck it! I have figured out the Stanley Meyer formula, and No, I won't (dare not) share. I'll be driving my 1988 chevy celebrity forever with no gas cost or emissions, thank you very much.

Yes, the hydrogen embrittlement is a problem, but not an insurmountable one. Think sleeves.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Hope they dont start this pervasive OTT crap in the UK, since we are the 51 state all the same it wont be long till its implemented here and then world wide. Im telling you these people are starting to make me feel sorry for Osama, LoL! They have all there fingers, toes, n bobbys in every pie in sight!
edit on 20-4-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-4-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I can see good and bad. Good.. I can imagine it would lower insurance premiums. As it would be easier to investigate crashes and determine fault. Then again, some cars have black boxes already, and they do not touch them from what I gather, unless someone dies in a crash. Bad.. Well, if you get pulld over, do police have the authority to access your black box, thus throwing tickets at ya? Technically it would be your 5th amendment right to refuse access.. But I dont know if it would fly.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

You want to hear something crazy? My sister was a dating a guy in 2005 whose snake had gotten loose in his SUV. (Don't ask) and it crawled up into the dash and got stuck. His friends came over to help him pull apart the dash and as they got into it, not only did they find the snake but they found a tiny camera.

He bought it new, no one had driven it before him. He took it to the Ford dealership to ask what that was and they were astonished. True story!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtectedWitness
Eh, no big deal. So a device records the actions of a driver. Maybe if I find out who the manufacturer of this device will be, I will invest in their company. Lots of profit potential.

If you can't beat them, join them.

LOL you have been busy tonight in a lot of threads. Don't they ever let you take a smoke break or something? Stand up and stretch a little?

No big deal, our personal actions are just being recorded for someone else to check into. No big deal, my foot.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by seamus
big brother can suck it! I have figured out the Stanley Meyer formula, and No, I won't (dare not) share. I'll be driving my 1988 chevy celebrity forever with no gas cost or emissions, thank you very much.

Yes, the hydrogen embrittlement is a problem, but not an insurmountable one. Think sleeves.

Yep. We own a 1978 Chevy truck, and a 1978 Chevy Nova. My husband knows how to repair both. Just put a new motor in the Nova. I won't get a new car because with my old ones, I know what is in them. No secret stuff.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
What's funny is, if you have a pair of eyes, and a little bit of good ole fashion police work, you can easily tell what happened and who's fault it is.. We all know what this is about plain and simple.

Gs
edit on 20-4-2012 by GermanShep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
And this is 3 1/2 years away.. Plenty of newer used cars, which means you could buy a dependable newer car and by then, you can drive for 10-15+ years from now... So I do not see this affecting us anytime soon. But still a good post OP. Always good to know what they are up to regardless of the date.

Gs
edit on 20-4-2012 by GermanShep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Being an engineer/tech person/gearhead, I know quite a few very intelligent people - who, by the way, wouldn't stand idly by and let this happen...should something like this get passed, I'd give it a week (tops) before someone figures out how to either bypass the system or - more likely - spoof the data. There will be custom firmwares and hack guides all over the internet within weeks (assuming CISPA or one of its inevitable bastard children doesn't destroy it first).

Point is, I'm not worried...such a program would be a dismal failure and probably wouldn't last very long.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainIraq
[...]
Point is, I'm not worried...such a program would be a dismal failure and probably wouldn't last very long.

^this.

I guess that makes this whole thing more of a psyop than a real threat, huh?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join