It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP's Corexit Oil Tar Sponged Up by Human Skin

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

The persistence of Corexit mixed with crude oil has now weathered to tar, yet is traceable to BP's Deepwater Horizon brew through its chemical fingerprint. The mix creates a fluorescent signature visible under UV light. From the report:

The program uses newly developed UV light equipment to detect tar product and reveal where it is buried in many beach areas and also where it still remains on the surface in the shoreline plunge step area. The tar product samples are then analyzed…to determine which toxins may be present and at what concentrations...

Worse, the toxins in this unholy mix of Corexit and crude actually penetrate wet skin faster than dry skin )—the author describes it as the equivalent of a built-in accelerant—though you'd never know it unless you happened to look under fluorescent light in the 370nm spectrum. The stuff can't be wiped off. It's absorbed into the skin.

Mother Jones has always been the leader in covering the BP spill, so kudos to them for reporting this AND staying on the story some two years later, even when BP and the Gulf Coast states would like us to believe there is no lasting effect.

So if seafood from the Gulf is experiencing deformities and this phenomenon has now been documented in humans who are exposed to tar in the Gulf, what will happen further down the road? Five to ten years from now. Are fishermen and other Gulf Coast residents and visitors going to start developing lesions and deformities too? Have they already and it's just not being reported or attributed to the BP spill?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
s & f

an estimated 40 million people have been POISONED by corexit

skin rash, swollen face and/or RECTAL BLEEDING seem to be common symptoms, though by far not the only ones..

some have already DIED

rip LiSA she died a year ago

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I see BP commercials running here in Missouri cable markets a few times a week with their U.S. Spokeswoman going on about how they came, they saw, they cleaned up the whole thing and everything is just dandy now. She says everyone should come back for tourism and the Gulf has never been better.

I noticed she's standing there on a bright sunny day. I'm glad...with lies as big as she's spewing on behalf of BP, I'd half expect to see a lightening bolt strike her where she stands if it were a stormy day.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I invite you to come down and prove that this story isn't complete fabrication.
I live, eat, breathe the Gulf Coast. Never been healthier in my life.
Eat Gulf seafood several times a week.

Spill was bad. I'm sure there is still oil on the bottom and lingering effects. However, everything that I've seen with my own eyes and everyone I know shows that life is thriving on the coast. Are there some dolphins with health problems? No doubt. Is the oyster crop still affected? yep. May there be some shrimp still affected? I'm sure.
Guess what? Despite those with certain political agendas, the Gulf, at least immediately along the coast, is surprisingly healthy and full of life.

Yes, That is purely rational- Let's discount the testimony of the people who actually live in the area being covered. I believe that is called ignorance in most cases.
People with glowing legs. What stupidity will these people come up with next? Something ignorant folks desperate for a conspiracy will believe, I suppose.
Again, I invite you come see for yourself how completely bogus this is.
Probably falling on deaf ears. I'll likely be called a disinfo agent

edit on 18-4-2012 by pierregustavetoutant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant
I'll likely be called a disinfo agent

Not going to call you a disinfo agent, just a bit naive. I am sure the gulf is "full of life" and there are plenty of people splashing about in the waves. I am also sure they don't drop dead right after getting out of the water. This does not make it safe. If we use the criteria you use then bars full of hundreds of smokers were healthy places because everyone was dancing and having fun and no one was dropping dead on the floor.

The truth of the matter is, no one knows exactly what will happen. It is essentially an enormous science experiment. There is simply too much spilled oil and too much of this corexit chemical dumped in the Gulf. No study has ever come close to simulating what happened.

It is possible it is killing people, and sea-life, right now. It is possible it will get worse. It is possible that 10, 20, 30 years from now we may begin to understand just how bad it really is (e.g. Agent Orange).

Here is some info from the MSDS:

INGESTION : Not a likely route of exposure. Can cause chemical pneumonia if aspirated into lungs following ingestion. INHALATION : Repeated or prolonged exposure may irritate the respiratory tract.

That sounds similar to this poor woman's issues.

RESPIRATORY PROTECTION : Where concentrations in air may exceed the limits given in this section, the use of a half face filter mask or air supplied breathing apparatus is recommended. A suitable filter material depends on the amount and type of chemicals being handled. Consider the use of filter type: Multi-contaminant cartridge. with a Particulate pre-filter. In event of emergency or planned entry into unknown concentrations a positive pressure, full-facepiece SCBA should be used. If respiratory protection is required, institute a complete respiratory protection program including selection, fit testing, training, maintenance and inspection

PERSONAL PRECAUTIONS :
Restrict access to area as appropriate until clean-up operations are complete. Stop or reduce any leaks if it is safe
to do so. Ventilate spill area if possible. Do not touch spilled material. Remove sources of ignition. Have
emergency equipment (for fires, spills, leaks, etc.) readily available. Use personal protective equipment
recommended in Section 8 (Exposure Controls/Personal Protection). Notify appropriate government, occupational
health and safety and environmental authorities.
METHODS FOR CLEANING UP :
SMALL SPILLS: Soak up spill with absorbent material. Place residues in a suitable, covered, properly labeled
container. Wash affected area. LARGE SPILLS: Contain liquid using absorbent material, by digging trenches or by
diking. Reclaim into recovery or salvage drums or tank truck for proper disposal. Clean contaminated surfaces with
water or aqueous cleaning agents. Contact an approved waste hauler for disposal of contaminated recovered
material. Dispose of material in compliance with regulations indicated in Section 13 (Disposal Considerations).
ENVIRONMENTAL PRECAUTIONS :
Do not contaminate surface water.

Do not contaminate surface water. Yet we allowed them to dump millions upon millions of gallons of this stuff into the gulf.

This is a human being created chemical soup. It does not go away. It is in the gulf to stay and it is in the fish, in the shrimp, in the seaweed, in everything. You may be slowly poisoning yourself. I suppose you will know in 1, 2, 20 years from now.

MSDS

ETA: Corexit is actually MORE toxic than the substance it is "cleaning".
Corexit more toxic than oil

ETA2: I am guessing you are moderately young. Only the young are so cavalier with their health, and so certain everyone else is a fool
edit on 18-4-2012 by Bakatono because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

I'd never call you a disinfo agent on a thing like this. I'd note what this video here shows.....

Then I'd ask just where in the Gulf of Mexico you may be? As much of that toxic poison they dumped in from above while the Earth shot the gulf from deep below, it still wasn't enough to effect the WHOLE gulf. I have NO clue how to even start estimating water volume. Not my area of study..but I'll bet the 0's on the end of gallons of water go many many MANY places beyond the number of gallons of the toxins. So...I find it very easy to believe that some areas of the coast may have a hard time for MANY years, while others probably never saw much of anything...even at the height of it.

The currents in the Gulf, as NASA's video up there show, are far more complex and intertwined than I'd ever imagined..so no, I certainly don't say you are a disinfo agent. You just don't have the bad luck of some folks who ARE in the wrong places for where the junk is coming back to land.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bakatono

Thank you for living up to the stereotype of self righteous, condescending "net expert"
So far NONE of the alarmists claims have come true.
We know that there will be some longterm effects. They have actually been less than most down here expected.

Call me naive. Anyone who has ever known me personally has never called me such. I am one of the most skeptical people around.
One of the better side effects of living through Katrina and the Oil Spill was to be able to easily identify that there is a lot more agenda driven propaganda than most who live elsewhere realize. The "evil corporate" agendas are just one of many. And they aren't always the worst.
But perhaps I am just being naive...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Well, it contains something like propylene glycol or polyethylene glycol in it's formula. Propylene glycol is used to speed up absorption of the nicotine patches and medications into the body. It is also used to bring shampoos and cosmetics deep into tissues and to plump skin cells. I guess it could bring the oil right into the skin of humans. Wonder what it does to fish gills?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

SE Louisiana. Not all that far from ground zero. And I would certainly admit, from primary source knowledge, that the immediate area around the DWH site is still very affected.
Some of our marshes will be affected for years. Unknown amount of time, in fact.
I am the last person to ever defend BP, the Coast Guard, the EPA, NOAA, the Dept of Interior, the Obama Administration, or the others involved in the mostly temporary spoiling of our coast. If it weren't for our state and local governments and National Guard, things would have been much worse.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Four of the people had unusually high levels of benzene, which, according to the ISS, is a highly toxic chemical from crude oil. It has been linked to many health problems, including anemia, leukemia, irregular menstrual periods and ovarian shrinkage. Those four were all crabbers from the Biloxi area, and consisted of three adults and one 10-year-old boy.

Well it can take years to develop cancer and other diseases from initial contact of a substance. I really wouldn't take the chance of eating chemical filled sea food for momentary gain, especially since you can find other sources of protein.

My grandfather died from a rare form of Leukemia due to benzene exposure at a GM plant. It was an excruciating painful death I'd never wish on anyone. It took 30 years to develop but he was lucky, it can take only 5-10 years. Just sayin....not really worth the gamble over some deep fried shrimp.

edit on 18-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

SE Louisiana. Not all that far from ground zero. And I would certainly admit, from primary source knowledge, that the immediate area around the DWH site is still very affected.
Some of our marshes will be affected for years. Unknown amount of time, in fact.
I am the last person to ever defend BP, the Coast Guard, the EPA, NOAA, the Dept of Interior, the Obama Administration, or the others involved in the mostly temporary spoiling of our coast. If it weren't for our state and local governments and National Guard, things would have been much worse.

I was one of many, who did our best to clean up the area your from. im sorry we couldn't do more, but after BP pulled the plug, we had to go.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Thank you for living up to the stereotype of self righteous, condescending "net expert"

Really? And your comments from your original post, quoted below, are in no way self righteous, condescending or possibly even insulting?

I invite you to come down and prove that this story isn'tcomplete fabrication.
I live, eat, breathe the Gulf Coast. Never been healthier in my life.

Guess what? Despite those with certain political agendas, the Gulf, at least immediately along the coast, is surprisingly healthy and full of life.

Yes, That is purely rational- Let's discount the testimony of the people who actually live in the area being covered. I believe that is called ignorance in most cases.

People with glowing legs. What stupidity will these people come up with next? Something ignorant folks desperate for a conspiracy will believe, I suppose.

Again, I invite you come see for yourself how completely bogus this is.
Probably falling on deaf ears.

Don't believe I referred to myself as any expert. Just pointed out the MSDS and a few other facts. You are right, these facts are readily available on the net to anyone with a PC and ability to use google.

Hey, keep on eating that stuff and swimming there. More power to ya.
edit on 19-4-2012 by Bakatono because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
depopulation is in full effect. you didn't think they'll use gas chambers did you.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I was one of many, who did our best to try to get to clean up the area your from. im sorry we couldn't do more, but after BP pulled the plug, we had to go or we would have been detained or shot.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by fireyaguns
I was one of many, who did our best to try to get to clean up the area your from. im sorry we couldn't do more, but after BP pulled the plug, we had to go or we would have been detained or shot.

Explain.....detained or shot?

I had to give you your first star.
edit on 24-4-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I live in Florida yes there are lots of problems health related to corexit almost everyone at the cleanup site of Exxon the first place in the U.S to use corexit is dead. On sea food time to listen to the truth watch this.Dang auto correction sorry about that, corexit

edit on 24-4-2012 by drmeola because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by drmeola
I live in Florida yes there are lots of problems health related to cortex almost everyone at the cleanup site of Exxon the first place in the U.S to use cortex is dead. On sea food time to listen to the truth watch this.

What is cortex?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I see BP commercials running here in Missouri cable markets a few times a week with their U.S. Spokeswoman going on about how they came, they saw, they cleaned up the whole thing and everything is just dandy now. She says everyone should come back for tourism and the Gulf has never been better.

I noticed she's standing there on a bright sunny day. I'm glad...with lies as big as she's spewing on behalf of BP, I'd half expect to see a lightening bolt strike her where she stands if it were a stormy day.

It's a damn shame they are spending billions to run adds in states unaffected by the spill. Adds lying about how much they cleaned up meanwhile they have yet to pay out claims to thousands of people who lost their jobs due to the spill. There are still huge amounts of people who lost everything dues to the spill that have turned in valid claims and have not even received a phone call from BP. It may not be on the news every night but there are still people out of work or people that are owned money from revenue losses. Maybe they could cancel a few commercials in Michigan and pay some of the victims.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus

What is cortex?

A chemical used to sink and break apart oil slicks. Only problem is it is said to have a 95% kill ratio to all living things it comes in contact with. Not only that but the chemical make up of Corexit 9500 is a closely guarded secret. So much that the FDA has no idea what is actually in it. Even the testing results on living things is classified. On another note it should be mentioned that BP hired a chemical company to make this substance for them. It is designed by BP for BP. The first batch or Corexit (8500 i think) was so toxic that the GOV actually stepped in and made them change it.

LINK
edit on 24-4-2012 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by GuidedKill

He was showing my spelling error.
And its been outlawed by every other country in the world except the stupid U.S who's main goal is population control and furthering Monsanto's take over of food.

This is the thread I start in Jan 2010 on the BP oil spill check it out and let me know what you think: www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join