It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: US arrests senior Iraqi commander

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Gen Talib al-Lahibi, who was in charge of security for Diyala province in the north east of Baghdad, and a senior member of the Iraqi National Guard who served in Saddam Hussein's army, has been arrested on 23 September for having alleged links with insurgents.

BBC NEWS

He commanded three battalions in the area around the town of Baquba. The US appointed him last week after he had been nominated by fellow guardsmen to replace his predecessor, who was assassinated in August.

Baquba, 65km (40 miles) north-east of Baghdad, has been a frequent flashpoint for clashes with militants.

Gen Lahibi's arrest underlines the difficulties the Americans have in building up an Iraqi security force able to take over from US soldiers, reports the BBC's Caroline Hawley from Baghdad.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I knew this had to happen at some point and I guess I was right. Just how many more are they who are still supporters of Saddam, in this new Iraqi National Guard? No wonder people are being kidnapped all the time and our troops are being killed how could they let this happen.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Amazing that it took so long. For rebel insurgents, they seem to know exactly when and where to hit. I wonder how many of the security forces are playing for both teams? Hopefully they will not have to gut the security force to get them all.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Incredible. I had thought that there would be regular iraqi army people in the insurgency, (from husseins army that is) but it sort of didn't make sense. Why fight the americans after the war, when you could've fought them in the war in the first place. But now there apparently are people doing just that. The Coalition made a terrible mistake in allowing iraqi soldiers to leave the field of battle. Every iraqi officer and soldier should've been detained, disarmed, processed, and probabyl even 'debathified' (like in wwii). This also makes hussein's possible plans a little clearer. Give up the main war, once it turns unwinable. Initiate a insugency, one that needn't even be coordinated by hussein. Then, when the 'decadent , weak, cowardly' amerincans leave (c.f. vietnam, protests, etc) step up the insurgency, wipe out the shi'ite and fundamentalist insurgents, and re-establish power. No one would -ever- mess with him or his sons again. Good thing those monsters are dead and hussein is going to be executed by the gov.

join