It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please help identify this streak of light in the sky

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

I'm glad you brought this up Muckster, yes I did get a response and forgot to post it....

Dear Anthony,

Thanks very much for your e-mail of April 20th with your friend's image from February or March 2011.

This is an interesting and rather puzzling image. While I didn't receive any daylight fireball observations from either month last year, that wouldn't prevent this object from having been such a meteor. However, I'm doubtful that this was meteoric, primarily because of its extremely short duration, and the fact it was so very obvious in the shot, yet nobody else had reported it, even from the same place.

The helicopter seems unusually uniformly dark (no shadows or obvious sunlight), which raises questions about whether the sky was clear or not. Obviously, a cloudy sky would have made spotting a fireball still more problematic than it being daytime.

Given that the linear object is almost vertical, it seems more likely it was some effect of the camera's electrics or a stray reflection, to appear on just one of the dozen frames that second.

While this isn't conclusive, and if there's anything more you can tell me about the date or circumstances under which the photo was obtained, I'd welcome seeing them, but my suspicion is this wasn't a daylight meteor, sadly.

Hoping I might be wrong, with all best wishes,

Alastair McBeath,
Morpeth, Northumberland.

Bit of a useless response as it doesn't look cloudy on the pics, and I've seen many camera artifacts in the past, none have ever looked like a fireball........

Ah well, a mystery it shall remain.
edit on 15/8/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Well, in fairness to him he seems to be putting his hands up and saying "i haven’t got a clue"

But i get what you’re saying... a little frustrating... I have never seen a camera anomaly like this... but i guess that doesn’t make it beyond the realms of possibility..

Thinking way outside the box for a minute... you don’t think it could be something similar to this...

Hypersonic jet Waverider eyes Mach 6

Just a thought... other than that, I’m baffled

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

With a shutter speed that fast, even at mach 6 it would have been visible in more than one frame.

The meteor explanation is the most plausible, as it is the only thing (known of) that could be traveling even remotely that fast, and even then, IMO, it's pushing it.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Yeah your right... silly suggestion... just can't think what it could be... What would be great is if someone (on ATS) who is good at maths could work out the calculations of how fast it would have to be travelling (at various heights) to only be captured once with that shutter speed.

Then we may be able to start looking at what it could be...

p.s. i got a GCSE "D" in maths way back in 1989... and that was only because the guy next to me had his desk a little to close to mine

Peace

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
It 100% looks like a contrail.....IMO.

and perspective is everything....It is more than likely NOT going down......it just appears that way due to perspective. I see absolutely nothing out of the ordinary with this...
edit on April 19th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

Agreed, that is 100% a contrail.

Edit: OP, originals with EXIF data would be helpful, if GPS and time are available flight number could be identified.

edit on 15-8-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

As woogleuk just explained... the shutter speed is too fast.

Peace

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

I'll get onto the guy and ask if I can have copies of the original, he posted these images on Facebook for me, he is local so it shouldn't be too difficult.

But yeah, the shots were taken milliseconds apart, so if it was a contrail, it would have been in more than one frame.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Last Sunday (12th August 2012) around 11.30pm GMT Birmingham UK, i was just arriving home and happened to look into the clear sky. I noticed a bright ball of white light moving quite slowly across the sky. At first i thought it may have been the ISS. However after a few minutes it turned into a red colour and then just disappeared, like it had switched off. I assume it was a meteor. Can anyone confirm that meteors act in this fashion?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Youve gotta love the debunkers "there is nothing out of the ordinary hear- definitely a contrail" they state, bearing in mind, the definition of a contrail is ' a long thin artificial clouds that sometimes form behind aircraft.' (wiki) due to pressure or exhaust gas. Usually visible for a few minutes, this 'contrail' appeared and disappeared in a fraction of a second.

Another skeptical poster was convinced that it was 'man made' because of 'rings of energy' he could see around the 'tail', then goes on to suggest that we 'may' have jets that can travel 'mach 20' ('or 15224 mph that is 4.2 miles per second' he informs us, attempting to explain why it only appears in one frame), again bearing in mind that the SR71 Blackbird, only capable of a poultry Mach 3.3, could only attain such speeds at 80,000 feet and an 'afterburner' jet at that altitude would certainly not be visible from the ground.

Even if such exotic technology exists to propel an aircraft into multiple mach's (and lets face it, we have had as much, if not less evidence of these alleged 'Black' projects than we have for UFO's) then its again highly unlikely that it would be using a conventional jet engine with afterburner (more like SCRAM jet or some such).

Its ok to say 'I dont know what it is'. It makes you out to be less of an idiot than to jump in, all guns blazing, with some half baked opinion dressed up as a fact- something that seems to be all too common in the UFO forum.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

It was the Perseids meteor shower, so it is possible, you do get slow moving (from perspective) ones that burn up into nothing, however, it could have been the ISS moving into the Earths shadow.

Best thing to do is download Stellarium, put in your location, and the time of your sighting and make sure ISS/Satellite tracking is enabled, you will soon find out

edit on 15/8/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I was watching the meteor shower on Saturday night in rural North Yorkshire- bit disappointing to be honest.

What I saw was the odd shooting star, sometimes two or three together- some a bit larger than normal with a kind of yellowish tinge (that might have been as a result of atmospheric conditions). All seemed to be going in the same direction (I would approximate SW to NE), and visible only for a couple of seconds at most (didnt look anything like OP's photo either). I started watching about 1.30 on and off until about 3.30 when it clouded over.

I was expecting something a bit more spectacular if truth be told.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Thunda

Count yourself lucky you seen that, we had our 10th (at the most) day of sun this summer here in Cumbria all day that day, as soon as night approached so did the clouds, no sky visible at all

But yeah, meteors vary in speed, colour size and appearance etc.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'd say that what alldaylong described sounds just like the ISS entering earth's shadow.

heavens-above.com also says there was a pass at 22:42, with the ISS entering earth's shadow at 22:47 in the East.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I take lots of photos of things that fly and go fast so I will pose a possible explanation. The copter is possibly MUCH closer to the camera than the (contrail?). The copter is flying fast to the right. The photographer is doing a great job of panning to keep the copter in frame. As he pans, he passes a contrail which gets caught in one frame, and is out of the other frames. With a fast pan, it is very possible for a distant object to cross a frame in milliseconds. This is especially true with a long zoom.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunda

As Woogle says, you were lucky to catch any at all this year, and they can vary in colour quite a bit. To me, most of them also looked like they had a yellow tinge.

I also posted some photos of them here.I didn't adjust the colour in any way, and I know my cameras record colour faithfully.

So perhaps a slightly disappointing year in some aspects, but don't let that put you off observing meteor showers. Sometimes you have to get through a dud or two before you catch a good year, but it's worth the effort when you do.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Nice picture, great camera to catch the rotor blades as if they a frozen in time.

The white streak looks like contrails from a high altitude jet moving away from the camera.

The time of day is early or late daylight hour. The sunlight is reflected off the bottom side of the contrail giving

the appearence of illumination. Nice picture, no mystery

edit on 15-8-2012 by whatwasthat because: spacing

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by whatwasthat

Nice theory, but not possible- a contrail, which, as I posted earlier is 'a long thin artificial clouds that sometimes form behind aircraft. Their formation is most often triggered by the water vapour in the exhaust of aircraft engines, but can also be triggered by the changes in air pressure in wingtip vortices or in the air over the entire wing surface.[1] Like all clouds, contrails are made of water, in the form of a suspension of billions of liquid droplets or ice crystals.' (wiki)

The very shortest time a contrail exists for is a few seconds. This anomaly only appears on one frame of a 1- 1 1/2 second burst of 12 frames, making it appear and disappear in around a 1/12 of a second. An aircraft contrail, made from water vapour, would be around significantly longer than a fraction of a second. Even one that is lit from below. Its borderline too fast for a comet, so totally impossible for a 'contrail'.

So one last time- Its NOT a contrail. Nice picture- still a mystery.

edit on 16-8-2012 by Thunda because: spelling

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by FireballStorm
I'd say that what alldaylong described sounds just like the ISS entering earth's shadow.

heavens-above.com also says there was a pass at 22:42, with the ISS entering earth's shadow at 22:47 in the East.

Again- impossible. I know the ISS is moving fast (17,500 miles per hour) but would still not cross the sky in a 1/12 of a second! We would never see it!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunda
Again- impossible. I know the ISS is moving fast (17,500 miles per hour) but would still not cross the sky in a 1/12 of a second! We would never see it!

1/12 of a second! ??? Are you sure???

Originally posted by alldaylong
I noticed a bright ball of white light moving quite slowly across the sky. At first i thought it may have been the ISS. However after a few minutes it turned into a red colour

I've bolded the important bits in the above quote.
edit on 16-8-2012 by FireballStorm because: formating

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Magnesium in a flare or meteor. Don't those copters drop flares?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join