It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rise in Americans Renouncing Citizenship

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Hi TKDRL,

No it is not an easy choice there is much to consider and more importantly you must do it correctly as to not leave yourself stateless or foreign to the Union that is what my threads are all about links posted previously.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by martianboy
There's been a rather surprising increase in the last year of American's Renouncing US Citizenship. The data is graphed by quarter from 4th quarter 2008 (the credit crisis). You would have thought that alone would have caused an exodus but it didn't surprisingly enough. This data came from IRS and is posted in the Federal Register as required by law.

With most westernized countries allowing dual citizenship there's not much reason to renounce citizenship unless you want you and your stashed wealth to be beyond the jurisdiction of the IRS. Unlike other countries the US IRS claims worldwide right to tax any US citizen anywhere in the world. Hollywood celebrities sometimes threaten to leave the USA but they never do.

americankabuki.blogspot.com...

Must be all those bank CEO that are quiting and going south with your money

before the SHTF

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

ATM, I am dual american and canadian, on top of that I am half native north american. So I got a 3way tug of war going on. Denouncing my american citizenship would really only be a statement toward my hatred of the government. Problem is, no one in government would even care either way. Also canadian government is not any better than the american government, so it's like jumping from one sinking ship, to another sinking ship.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Rather interesting title this thread has.

Now, where would they go? With all the evil things it's government has done throughout the whole world?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
I have been contemplating renouncing my citizenship a lot lately. It's not an easy decision at all...

I don't want to sound callous,but imagine being a citizen of North Korea,or Uganda? There are worst places in the World,to be a citizens of. Some places you don't get a chance to NOT be a citizen.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Wow sorry to hear about the difficulties in your situation, however I still would recommend the studies and further your education in law. Besides we at PAC like a good challenge and all the study material besides the textbook is free and couldn't hurt.

Good luck to you in your journey

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Guys I think I know the reason

www.abovetopsecret.com...

In growing numbers, experts say, highly educated children of immigrants to the United States are uprooting themselves and moving to their ancestral countries. They are embracing homelands that their parents once spurned but that are now economic powers.

edit on 18-4-2012 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
Cowards run. Patriots stand and fight for what they believe in. Good riddance.

Ok tough guy. So why aren't you out there fighting then? Didn't the pilgrims first arrive on this great land of ours running from persecution? What about all the great things we have in this country from all the immigrants who fled their countries because it wasn't safe or good for them there anymore?

I'd just like to say that if I decide to leave this country in the near future, it's not because I'm a coward. It's simply because I have a good head on my shoulders and see the writing on the wall telling me to get out now while you still can. Second, it would have nothing to do with me hating this country. A piece of me would always be here with this country and it's people because I am this country and these people.

I'd love to be able to say that I will stay here and "fight" alongside my fellow Americans but the truth is that I honestly, don't really trust Americans to make the right decision when necessary. Just talking to my friends and family and hearing their opinion on things and always with war, hate and obedience to a system that marginalizes and kills them tells me that is not the place for me.

It's not that I hate you guys, it's just like a bad relationship. You still love the person but you have to let go before the other brings the both of you down. Or maybe you two still love each other but realize that you're heading down two distinctly different paths so it's best to let go. It's called being a rational human being.

I'm tired of banging the drum and trying to inform others. I planted the seed now it's their turn to inform themselves. And unfortunately, the truth is people will not wake up until they want to. I mean, how many of us can say that we have truly been aware of the true nature of things since we were born?

Those of us who see what it is need to figure our way out of this mess. Be happy that you are awake at this time. No one listened to Noah up until that day and he went into his ark. No one is listening to us so just prepare. Unfortunately god hasn't spoken to me or any of you guys (as far as I know) instructing us to get ready but the way I see it, I think this last decade is the best sign god could have given you to get the freak out. None of us are modern day Noahs but you get the point.

edit on 18-4-2012 by conspiracy88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
American patronism, still believing that freedom is 100% american own....Not to mention, canada, Uk, Japan, britian, europe, etc etc etc... and etc.... and eetc

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Renouncing's the easy part.

but WHY ARE AMERICANS SO ATTACHED TO THEIR MATERIAL POSESSIONS? and why do they collect so much useless stuff? like are they gonna take it with them when they pass on or something? a grown up dude the other weekend we were helping pack for 1 year abroad and put stuff in storage and he was crying and wouldn't let us throw out obvious junk, trash. the apartment was just full of nonsense u could hardly walk.and the attachment to food, unhealthy empty calories bad 'food' its just so pathetic grown up Americans acting like big babies tantrums and all.

in a few years:

- 20% unemployment

- $10/gal gas

- food, water shortage nationwide

- curfew

- race war riots

- US cities burn to the ground nationwide

- no exit

who in their right mind would want to stick around?

300 million Americans will be stuck in hell on earth

its a no brainer!

the hard part is finding where on Earth to permanently resettle that America hasn't yet poisoned and screwed over, yet.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
Renouncing's the easy part.

but WHY ARE AMERICANS SO ATTACHED TO THEIR MATERIAL POSESSIONS? and why do they collect so much useless stuff? like are they gonna take it with them when they pass on or something? a grown up dude the other weekend we were helping pack for 1 year abroad and put stuff in storage and he was crying and wouldn't let us throw out obvious junk, trash. the apartment was just full of nonsense u could hardly walk.

I think that guy has Compulsive hoarding
en.wikipedia.org...

Try not to judge him too much.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88

Originally posted by OldCorp
Cowards run. Patriots stand and fight for what they believe in. Good riddance.

Ok tough guy. So why aren't you out there fighting then?

I am. Every Fracking Day.

What have you done for freedom today? Next question.

Didn't the pilgrims first arrive on this great land of ours running from persecution? What about all the great things we have in this country from all the immigrants who fled their countries because it wasn't safe or good for them there anymore?

The Pilgrims hardy fled. Yes there was religious persecution, but the first few groups came across under contract with the Virginia Company of London, most famously settling in Jamestown among other settlements, not all successful as the Lost Colony of Roanoke attests. Life in Europe was hard. The setters were told they could begin their lives anew in a land flowing with milk and honey and they leapt at the chance. Freedom from religious persecution was a bonus.

The same holds true with most immigrants through the history of the US, including my Irish ancestors who fled the potato famine. Nearly all of the immigrants to the US came here for a better life, and not because they had a gun to their head (although that is certainly the case with some.)

I'd just like to say that if I decide to leave this country in the near future, it's not because I'm a coward. It's simply because I have a good head on my shoulders and see the writing on the wall telling me to get out now while you still can. Second, it would have nothing to do with me hating this country. A piece of me would always be here with this country and it's people because I am this country and these people.

In other words, you are afraid to put your money, or your life, where your mouth is and stand up for what you say you love ("don't hate.")

I'd love to be able to say that I will stay here and "fight" alongside my fellow Americans but the truth is that I honestly, don't really trust Americans to make the right decision when necessary.

Oh ye of little faith.

Isokuro Yamamoto knew what happens when you piss off the American citizenry when he said, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" He told the Emperor he could do whatever he wished for 6 months; but that once the American war machine powered up he would not be able to stand against it. He was right.

People never seem to learn from history.

Just talking to my friends and family and hearing their opinion on things and always with war, hate and obedience to a system that marginalizes and kills them tells me that is not the place for me.

Well you can't do anything about your family, but I'd say you have the wrong friends.

It's not that I hate you guys, it's just like a bad relationship. You still love the person but you have to let go before the other brings the both of you down. Or maybe you two still love each other but realize that you're heading down two distinctly different paths so it's best to let go. It's called being a rational human being.

Seriously? You're dumping us? Oh NOES!
It's attitudes like that which have caused a 50%+ divorce rate. If I was a chick I'd sing you a song.

Tell ya what homie, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

I'm tired of banging the drum and trying to inform others. I planted the seed now it's their turn to inform themselves. And unfortunately, the truth is people will not wake up until they want to. I mean, how many of us can say that we have truly been aware of the true nature of things since we were born?

When the going gets tough, the weak pick up and leave. Gotcha.

Those of us who see what it is need to figure our way out of this mess. Be happy that you are awake at this time. No one listened to Noah up until that day and he went into his ark. No one is listening to us so just prepare. Unfortunately god hasn't spoken to me or any of you guys (as far as I know) instructing us to get ready but the way I see it, I think this last decade is the best sign god could have given you to get the freak out. None of us are modern day Noahs but you get the point.

If you know about the "days of Noah" then you should also know that there is NO escaping what is coming. You wanna flee to Canada, Australia, or Mexico thinking it will save your life? What did Christ say? If He didn't return, ALL flesh would be destroyed. You can run wherever you like, but I have news for you: The Antichrist's NWO is going to be there waiting for you.

So what are you going to do now? Seriously. Are you going to stand up like a man or run like a little girl?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
As an American, I can think of a few countries I would prefer to move to. Finland, Switzerland, Sweden, Australia, and Luxembourg all have better quality of life/health/education than USA. I would move to one of those countries if it were that easy.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

As someone from outside the USA I don't see what the big deal is with this country worship that some americans love to do, if someone wants to leave just say good luck, why get nasty about it? why so serious?

Some of these americans are probably not renouncing their citizenship because they feel the SHTF any time soon, maybe they just want to start a new life.
edit on 18-4-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Well looks like everyone is running to and fro,

the British are leaving in great numbers,
www.byebyeblighty.com...
But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

No wait they are coming back,

www.bbc.co.uk...

No where to run, no where to hide, everywhere you go, there you are.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
reply to post by OldCorp

As someone from outside the USA I don't see what the big deal is with this country worship that some americans love to do, if someone wants to leave just say good luck, why get nasty about it? why so serious?

Some of these americans are probably not renouncing their citizenship because they feel the SHTF any time soon, maybe they just want to start a new life.

You can live in another country as an expat and not renounce your citizenship. There are entire towns of retired Americans living in Mexico right now, living very comfortable lives on very little money; none of them have renounced their citizenship (that I'm aware, there may have been a few.) Renouncing your citizenship is a political statement, and one that is not necessary to start a new life.

As far as the big deal with "country worship," perhaps if you were born here you might understand. Even if I was a citizen of another country, born and raised there, I would feel the same about that patch of land; because it is MY home, and I will not be turned into a slave, nor will I suffer slaves to be created in my home, as long as I draw breath.
edit on 4/18/2012 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

OK if your right I understand better now, also I understand wanting to protect your home, land, family etc
I just think there's a fine line between a patriot and a fanatic, so I'm a bit laid back in this department, but if the SHTF, things will of course be quite different.

So yeah I get what your feeling now, before I just had an image of a sweet lady wanting to start a new life and you telling her good riddance with a furious expression lol, but if they all do it for political reasons then I understand your perpective.

Anyway a bit off topic here, I'm just thinking out loud, if SHTF I at least have an idea what to expect from my neighbours, take the london riots as a fine example, the thought is pretty depressing really. The london riots really opened my eyes to how humans can behave, none of them "cared" about why the riots started, they all joined in for the fun of it to steal everything they could like wild animals. If that is all it took for humans to turn barbaric I can only imagine what will happen if the SHTF.

I hope that after riots/civil war/gang wars/burglary etc (which may be the least of our worries) that the remains from that civilization can regroup and make us proud.

Or better yet I hope if the SHTF that people will actually act suprisingly mature for a change. Gotta stay positive you know.
Edit: Think happy thoughts, flowers, sunshine, cuddles and kittens.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
There is a huge difference between now and "back then" attitude, loyalty, commitment... It's just different now. I don't think it's right but I may be wrong. Life is completely different now. So, it comes down to:

Accept it or not. Exactly what are we supporting......or not?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Citizenship is tantamount to slavery you are just viewed as human cattle to be used up.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by martianboy

I will admit that I've considered it.

America is turning into a scary place.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join