It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rise in Americans Renouncing Citizenship

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
There's been a rather surprising increase in the last year of American's Renouncing US Citizenship. The data is graphed by quarter from 4th quarter 2008 (the credit crisis). You would have thought that alone would have caused an exodus but it didn't surprisingly enough. This data came from IRS and is posted in the Federal Register as required by law.

With most westernized countries allowing dual citizenship there's not much reason to renounce citizenship unless you want you and your stashed wealth to be beyond the jurisdiction of the IRS. Unlike other countries the US IRS claims worldwide right to tax any US citizen anywhere in the world. Hollywood celebrities sometimes threaten to leave the USA but they never do.

americankabuki.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Rush Limbaugh said that he would move to Cuba if Obama won in Dec 2008.

Still hoping, and waiting.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Cowards run. Patriots stand and fight for what they believe in. Good riddance.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
If any of you guys decide to renounce your citizenship from the United States, can I have your stuff?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
Cowards run. Patriots stand and fight for what they believe in. Good riddance.

Spot On !

Don't let the door,hit your backside........................

link   
The guy who was a wrestler and ex - Michigan state governor ... Jesse Ventura ... moved to Mexico and renounced American citizenship.

I'll go find it if I can and will edit this post.

Ooodles of links on the search so chose the ATS one: www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 18/4/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

I think you're referring to Jesse Ventura.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Every time I think about renouncing citizenship, I think of the old movie we used to have to watch in civics classes in the early 70s, called "Man Without A Country". It's about a guy who was in the military and was on trial for treason in the early 1800s, and he says that he wants to renounce his citizenship and have nothing more to do with the United States.

So he is sentenced to spend the rest of his life on ships, never to see land again, and nobody on the ship was allowed to talk about home in front of him or allow him to read newspapers.

As he gets older, he regrets his decision and says to a young boy on the ship:

"Remember, boy, that behind all these men... behind officers and government, and people even, there is the Country Herself, your Country, and that you belong to her as you belong to your own mother. Stand by her, boy, as you would stand by your mother...!"

en.wikipedia.org...

As a first-generation American, this says it all for me. The whole infrastructure can go down in flames, and what is left is the beautiful land, the land of my birth. I belong to her and she to me.

They can take away my citizenship, but I will never give it up willingly.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Yes yes, Im sure the jews getting out of Germany when the writing was on the wall felt real cowardly...

Some of us are not fighters, elderly, in-firmed, etc.

Either way them leaving is their choice as our country allows this, I fear the day when we won't.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
As a first-generation American, this says it all for me. The whole infrastructure can go down in flames, and what is left is the beautiful land, the land of my birth. I belong to her and she to me.

They can take away my citizenship, but I will never give it up willingly.

That was beautiful.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
You all may want to read the links within these threads and learn law before you start claiming so proud to be a citizen.
Patriots do not run, but they better get their heads out of their butts and into the law books if they want to make real change.
Freedom awaits if your ready to do your homework and stop listening to the BS.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 18-4-2012 by drmeola because: to add third link

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by martianboy

I wish more people would renounce their citizenship. Even better, I wish I could pick which ones. 

Too bad they each can't take 10 illegals with them when they leave...If that happened the country might have a chance in a few years once the left loses it's base.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
reply to post by OldCorp

Yes yes, Im sure the jews getting out of Germany when the writing was on the wall felt real cowardly...

Some of us are not fighters, elderly, in-firmed, etc.

Either way them leaving is their choice as our country allows this, I fear the day when we won't.

Teddy would have fought. Also, pre-WWII Germany was a bit different for the Jews; they had already lost their citizenship by Nazi decree, so they were effectively stateless.

Just a point I've often wondered about: If every Jew - elderly, infirm, or otherwise - had met the SS at their door with a weapon in hand and blown away the first jackboot that crossed the threshold, and the bastard behind him (of course the Jews in the house would have been killed afterwards) would there have been a Holocaust where 6 million of them died? I think not. Hitler would have run out of storm troopers long before Germany ran out of Jews.
edit on 4/18/2012 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

So said many Germans, I'm sure, about those looking at the signs and fleeing before the Nazis really got their death grip on Germany.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Damn right Teddy would of fought, and so will I.

I am not saying for me, just that this country is great because we allow for all kinds, the draft dodgers and the patriots can all co-exist here.

Renouncing your citizenship is a right we have, anytime someones exercises a right its a good thing, it shows you still have them.

I understand renouncing the citizenship is a strange right to exercises as it impliese abandoning the place that probably gave you all those "Ideals" in the first place, but thats only if you don't see rights as something you already have but as something the government gives you...

The government is cracking down on the boarders now harder than ever, and people maybe surprised to find its not to keep them out, but us in.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by martianboy

So...despite the ability to tax any US citizen anywhere in the world, our leaders are still several trillion deep?

Wow, they fail hard.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
many that lived through the Holocaust said that they didn't see it coming until it was too late.. everything was done in small steps, each change just seemed like another thing coming. they were (relatively) spaced out. many were oblivious.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by novemberecho
many that lived through the Holocaust said that they didn't see it coming until it was too late.. everything was done in small steps, each change just seemed like another thing coming. they were (relatively) spaced out. many were oblivious.

Sounds eerily familiar doesn't it?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

too much so. I tried to explain it to people, hell, even people growing up back then did!

The German people were so nationalistic, so proud, so overconfident.
"that could never happen here, we're not that stupid, Germany is perfect, We love Der Führer! Germany is über country."

I try to tell them about the US now.
and they say.
"that could never happen here, we're not that stupid, we're not blind to that stuff, we're the land of the free and the home of the brave. We are the best..."

they just can't take away the whole "nazi, holocaust, mass parades, Heil" crap.
if you took all of those details out and apply the SITUATION and government itself to today, it's scary.

but we can't do that, because we're America, and we're all about freedom, and we're the good guys. /sheeeep

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I have been contemplating renouncing my citizenship a lot lately. It's not an easy decision at all...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join