It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lyrid Meteor Shower To Be Photographed In 3-D.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
It will be very interesting to see how this project turns out. I for one am excited just for the meteor shower alone. Seeing 3-D photos of the event will be a deffinit bonus though. I will link my thread covering the shower with more information on the shower itself and where to look.

NASA Lyrid Shower In 3-D

April 18, 2012: This weekend, NASA scientists, amateur astronomers, and an astronaut on board the International Space Station will attempt the first-ever 3D photography of meteors from Earth and space.

"The annual Lyrid meteor shower peaks on April 21-22," says Bill Cooke, the head of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office. "We’re going to try to photograph some of these 'shooting stars' simultaneously from ground stations, from a research balloon in the stratosphere, and from the space station."

"Even though the Lyrids are not noted for spectacular rates, the combination of a New Moon and a very favorable viewing geometry from the International Space Station (ISS) presents a unique opportunity to simultaneously image shower meteors from above and below," says Cooke.

Info On Lyrids Meteor Shower

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Yeah, I noticed this on spaceweather too. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with. Hopefully they will also try during the August Perseids, when they will probably have a better chance of catching bright meteors I think.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Would be a perfect night for viewing tonight where I'm at if it's still active. Just saw the ISS float over. Some bright star next to the moon also. Never seen the sky so vivid!

join