It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corporations aren't people

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I don't understand how on any level, in any way, this could be debated.

Legal definitions don't override Reality, if in any way they should come into conflict. Even the Constitution.

Dictionary definitions don't override Reality, if in any way they should come into conflict. Even if everyone believed in said definition.

A corporation is not a human being, not a person, and while there may be SOME overlap in what 'rights' and such they deserve, it is impossible to honestly argue that a corporation deserves all of the rights and protections that are inherent in being a person. At it's very core, it is simply not true.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Vilkata

While I agree, and I don't like the definition...

This came up in a class of mine recently, and if you think about it, there's one big reason they're treated as "people." They're supposed to be held to the same laws as "people" since that's what they're classified as. This keeps them from falling into the gray areas of the law which could allow them to potentially do many things that would otherwise not be illegal without major legal reform.

So, in a sense I can see how it's necessary. At the same time though, they shouldn't be treated as US Citizens and therefore they shouldn't have the same rights as us.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Corporations are immortal. Corporations are certainly not 'people' and they are very much not your friends.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vilkata
I don't understand how on any level, in any way, this could be debated.

Legal definitions don't override Reality, if in any way they should come into conflict. Even the Constitution.

Dictionary definitions don't override Reality, if in any way they should come into conflict. Even if everyone believed in said definition.

A corporation is not a human being, not a person, and while there may be SOME overlap in what 'rights' and such they deserve, it is impossible to honestly argue that a corporation deserves all of the rights and protections that are inherent in being a person. At it's very core, it is simply not true.

On the other hand, perhaps we should push the other direction.
If they want so bad for corporations to be "people", then we should start applying the law as such and criminality should be punished as if the corporation were a person.

Just a thought. I'm sure the criminal courts don't want to be flooded with tort cases, thus making them basically useless for actual criminal law. Start pressing charges against the corporations in the criminal court and see how quickly this gets changed.
edit on 18-4-2012 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Actually it's the other way around, people are corporations. Your birth certificate is your product number and your SIN card is your employee number in the corporation of the country you live in. We are traded like stocks on the market in this way.

top topics

join