It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zoning the Ocean (Obama's plan to take control of our oceans)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

President Barack Obama has an ambitious plan for Washington bureaucrats to take command of the oceans—and with it control over much of the nation’s energy, fisheries, even recreation in a move described by lawmakers as the ultimate power grab to zone the seas.

The massive undertaking also includes control over key inland waterways and rivers that reach hundreds of miles upstream, and began with little fanfare when Obama signed an executive order in 2010 to protect the aquatic environment.

“This one to me could be the sleeping power grab that Americans will wake up to one day and wonder what the heck hit them,” said Rep. Bill Flores (R –Texas).

“This is pure administrative fiat,” said Sen. David Vitter (R –La.). “It’s very troubling.”

“This is purely a unilateral administrative action with no real congressional input or oversight,” Vitter said. “I think it clearly threatens to have a big impact on a lot of industry, starting with energy, oil and gas, and fishing.”

This is all news to me, and quite shocking, really. But the kicker is this next excerpt:

“The order says they shall develop a scheme for oversight of oceans and all the sources thereof,” Flores said. “So you could have a snowflake land on Pikes Peak and ultimately it’s going to wind up in the water, so as a result they could regulate on every square inch of U.S. soil.”

Such a thing would impact fishing, agriculture, oil production/extraction, basically everything that uses water. Which is, of course, basically everything.

Agenda 21 also comes to mind here.

Obama scares me more and more all the time.

source of above quoted material

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Recommend changing title to Zioning the Ocean

Nice thread, Star + Flag

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
water will be the thing what will drive wars over the long term as people can stop using their cars but they cant stop drinking water so he who controls the water controls the planet

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Everyone raise your hands if you still think Obama is still looking out fer ya...

No? Didn't think so.

Peace

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

It was always going to happen eventually, I'm suprised it took this long to be honest.

Agenda 21 people, look it up if you don't know it already.

On a slightly more "I'm a conspiracy nut" note; it makes me wonder what really lies beneath our oceans...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

According to your first quote: President Barack Obama is doing all of this himself. Not so. According to your source article, which reads more like an op-ed (opinion editorial) instead of real news... he is not alone.

"...which includes a 27-member national ocean council; an 18-member governance coordinating committee; 10 national policies; nine regional planning bodies—each involving as many as 27 federal agencies as well as states and tribes; nine national priority objectives; nine strategic action plans; seven national goals for coastal marine spatial planning; and 12 guiding principles for coastal marine spatial planning.”

This is NOT President Obama acting alone and without multifaceted assistance. And, given his track record, he probably has included a broad spectrum of experts, regardless of political affiliation. Unlike the majority of the right wing these days, the President works with a variety of people, most often encouraging input from all sides.

Our oceans are more precious than most of us care to admit or even take time to think about and consider. We learned (or did we) a valuable lesson during the Gulf oil spill incident a couple of years ago. Our oceans are fragile and an essential part of this planet, more delicate than we care to believe. The last century has transformed vast, pristine reaches into polluted regions of filthy water. Did you know there is an area in the Pacific the size of Texas comprised of broken-down particles of plastic and filth? In fact, scientists have predicted the existence of about seven of these kinds of dead zones. Our oceans have been mismanaged. They really have not been managed at all. Overfishing, over-polluting...

Environmental groups that support the president’s efforts include the Pew Charitable Trusts, which says that the fragile health of the oceans is being threatened by the increasing industrialization of the seas.

“If poorly planned or managed, drilling for oil and natural gas in federal waters, developing aquaculture and building wind, wave and tidal energy facilities all have the potential to damage America’s marine environment,” Pew said in a statement supporting the president’s policy.

It is insanity not to govern our oceans. To have no oversight (or too little) has led us to where we are. The majority of scientists concur: our oceans are in danger. Naturally, the right wing will attack *anything* the President does or does not do. If he takes action, then he's taken too much action; if he takes little or no action, then he's not done enough. For anyone not wanting us to take responsibility for our oceans and waterways, why not plan your vacation along the Gulf Coast and go for a swim, catch some fish and dine on oil and corexit (the chemical sprayed to disperse the oil). Or, why not take a swim at the mouth of the Mississippi River? Or the Hudson? That is where we are now. The President's initiative is only trying to make our water and oceans safer, cleaner --before it is too late.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

This plan scares you? Check out this thread I just noticed. How's this for scary? www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
You realize you are citing a conservative blog (Re: Ultra right wing propaganda) that has no credible citations I hope?

Comically bad stuff there.

--
Also-LOL
edit on 18-4-2012 by lordtyp0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

This was breifly discussed in one of Jesse Ventura's Conspiracy Theory episodes. Seems like a likely possibility in the coming decades.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhostLancer
This is NOT President Obama acting alone and without multifaceted assistance.

I agree. It sounds like the "marine parks" scam the UN tried to bring in here a few years back. Fortunately, there was fierce resistance to it from recreational fisherman.

Many countries have established national targets, accompanied by action plans and implementations. The UN Council identified the need for countries to collaborate with each other to establish effective regional conservation plans.

Marine protected area - Wiki

top topics

join