It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moms: I cannot afford to work!!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I leave to work very happy each day knowing my wife will be with our children.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrittanyLea

Maybe you should start a new thread? All of your posts are completely off topic. No one sees anything wrong with saving money before having a child. It's just that you're insinuating that the people in this article should have done so, when that wouldn't have made a difference. The point is that there was no profit in working.

If you review the article linked in the original post, it's not that there wasn't any profit from working, but rather there wasn't enough profit from working. They still would have made more by returning to the workplace, they just chose, instead, for those moms to stay home instead.

Child care costs are a huge issue when it comes to building a family, and that cost increases as you have more kids. I'd dare say that most women CAN afford to work if they chose to, however the feasibility of doing so diminishes greatly if you don't plan accordingly before getting pregnant. If they're unhappy with having to give up their careers, that's nobodys fault but their own.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Vixen~

and the gov'ts for subsidizing the childcare to the point of unaffordability!!!

ya, it's their fault...they should have planned better, they should have not had the kids, they should have......

but ya know, there's something definately wrong when society pushes a bunch of single poor moms out in the workforce and pays their overpriced childcare with our tax dollars, and our professionals can't stay in their profession because the costs just doesn't make it so it makes sense to stay working!!!
thought we liked our professionals, wanted all the kids to go to college, and become professionals, so they can earn lots of money!! pay lots of taxes!!!! and hopefully pay back all that money they had to borrow to get through college!!!!

is it romney's wife's fault that she had kids, so she doesn't have much work experience?? na, she's a hard working mother!!!

and every other mother is knocked around!! the poor mom who couldn't pay for the childcare with the wages she could earn gets slammed!! the not so poor moms get slammed for not working, because there's no gov't program out there to help them with their child care... and of course the working mom gets slammed because she is working when she should be home taking care of her kids!!!

seems like some speak with triple forked tongue when it comes to moms!!! I can see why there so many young women out there who just don't want anything to do with the motherhood thing!! you can't win, no matter which way you go!!!

by the way, I am someone who really needed to work, for many reasons, not just financial....
and well, my hubby would have had to subsidize my healthcare, since my paycheck wouldn't have covered the expense!!! we ended up working opposite shifts and using and afterschool programs to fill in the gap instead.

the lower wage earner's paycheck have to increase...
the gov't has to stop subsidizing the basic necessities for the poor to the point where the non-poor can't afford them...
and those who provide our products and services are gonna have to reduce the cost to us..
if we want to restore any balance whatsoever to our economy!!!
if not, well, enjoy the freefall economy!!!

edit on 26-4-2012 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

first let me say i apologize that i chose your post to respond to ( iam a new member to ATS and could not start a new thread)

now let me take your post and analyze it.

i need to say first i am a working mother with a stay at home dad. we both worked until my daughter was born and than i was on maternity leave (unpaid) and he worked solely for 2 months longer until i had to go back to work.

i live in nyc and work in the fashion industry and made $95,000 a year until my daughter was born. 4 days before i was planning to go back to work they called me in to talk to me and gave me a $20,000 pay cut!!! i had no choice but to except ( my husband only made around $25,000) he had to quit work and watch our daughter.

just to let you all know this sort of thing is not uncommon,i know many people this has happened to you would think laws would be set but no! i had no rights legally in this situation. just now since you have a baby you wont be as good as before.

welll i have been just the same not one thing has changed on my work ethics. in fact my business is making more cause of me.

so from this post and all the comments i gather this, i should have planned on my pay cut, i should have had an abortion once i realized our pays were not enough if i factored in him not having a job and me losing 20 grand, i should have had him pull out in the moment of lust cause i apparently am not responsible.

i should also vote for mitt romney.

[SNIP]

but apparently according to you all i should have been smarter! factored this

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.
edit on 8-5-2012 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
[Double post]
edit on 8-5-2012 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by natives

so from this post and all the comments i gather this, i should have planned on my pay cut, i should have had an abortion once i realized our pays were not enough if i factored in him not having a job and me losing 20 grand, i should have had him pull out in the moment of lust cause i apparently am not responsible.

Nobody says any of that, but rather that people should try to plan responsibly. Unexpected things happen, but for many, planning *is* something that can be done, even if only to a limited extent.

It's like real life, if you can't afford to pay for something that you want, you should forego getting it until you can.

[SNIP]!

Even if you're upset, that sort of comment is ABSOLUTELY uncalled for.
edit on 8-5-2012 by Gemwolf because: Removed quoted censor circumvention

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
so, anyone want to take a guess at what the long term consequences of having the professional, middle class women leaving the workforce because the high cost of childcare doesn't make if financially feasible while the poorer unskilled women are being forced into the workforce, childcare paid compliments of the US tax dollar might be???

kind of seems to me that we might be taking a step backwards in time, to the pre-women's lib time, when only the poor and single women worked, for pennies on the dollar, while the rest of the women stayed home and tended kids and home...

can't help but wonder, was it planned to do this???

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join