It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Respect Or Coercion?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I found this on my Facebook. It made me a little upset, to be honest...and if it hadn't been on a family member's page, I would have had a lot to say about it.

Since this isn't Facebook, I'm gonna drop the image and tell you a little story:

It was his choice to get shot in a war. Don't pin that # on the kid who is standing for his own beliefs.

The end.
edit on CWednesdaypm060629f29America/Chicago18 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
You should still say a lot about it. Who cares if it is a family member.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Too bad real teachers don't do things like this. Instead we get the ones pushing P.C. down the students' throats by removing God from everything.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

I would prefer that God not be taught in from the modern viewpoint...give it a hundred years and see what we come up with then.

link   
I'd call that coercion myself. The teacher's basically trying to guilt the kid into conforming, and not truly trying to teach. It's a tactic that works too because the other conformists will pressure the kid, and some of the kids will even beat the crap out of him for disrespect.

In other words, it's a bad teacher because she can't convince the kid he's wrong using reason, instead she has to guilt him.

Too many people are like that these days.

link   

I would prefer that God not be taught from the modern viewpoint...give it a hundred years and see what we come up with then.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
It's not anyone doing anything. It's a political cartoon. If you can't separate reality from a drawing, you need some help.

Be mad at the artist, not the ink.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
It's not anyone doing anything. It's a political cartoon. If you can't separate reality from a drawing, you need some help.

/TOA

Yet it is a sentiment echoed by many, including the 5 people who liked the post and the three or four who commented.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

As opposed to Christians trying to impose God into everything?

There are some places God does NOT belong. I'm sick and tired of you Christians think you have the right to go anywhere and everywhere, especially where you aren't wanted.

Play nice now, children. We're all adults here...I think.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Originally posted by The Old American

/TOA

Yet it is a sentiment echoed by many, including the 5 people who liked the post and the three or four who commented.

Be careful with your assumptions. I flagged the post because I thought it was a worthwhile topic to discuss, not because I agreed with your sentiment.

This country was founded on religion. Today you enjoy a freedom "of" religion, not a freedom "from" religion.

One nation, under God.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

This country was not founded on religion. The Bill Of Rights is anathema to religious principles.

That's just bs Christian revisionism.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I'm sick and tired of you Christians think you have the right to go anywhere and everywhere, especially where you aren't wanted.

Exactly where do you feel I have no right to go?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It is coercion by guilt. I would trade four people that will mindlessly recite the pledge of allegiance for the one that will consider whether or not they should any day. I always questioned why this recital was required everyday myself. The only reason I can think of is to reinforce mindless indoctrination. I would think that saying it once in your life would be enough. And I am getting real tired of the whole, well so and so did this so you could have that right. No they didn't no one has been wounded in a war for that right in this country for 200 years. Sure we have been involved in other wars, and some of them for reasons of merit, but we have not been invaded or any of our freedoms under any real external threat since 1812.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

You don't have the right to impose your crap in school. Religion does not belong in school.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

If you cannot state your opinions in a respectful manner, please don't put them where other people have to see them.

Users here are, contrary to popular belief, more than a name on a screen.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

You don't have the right to impose your crap in school. Religion does not belong in school.

Now you're just being silly. Religious education has always been a part of American Schools.
See this

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Oh yes ye olde once it's there it should never be changed argument.

Just because it was there doesn't mean it belongs there. The only place religion belongs is in the church and in the private home.

We are a secular nation, not a religious one. We follow the Constitution, and the Constitution was not written to set up a religious nation, contrary to popular Christian belief and revisionism.

I have nothing more to say on this matter. Putting religion into school with a captive audiences disgusts me and I have nothing nice to say about it.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Putting religion into school with a captive audiences disgusts me and I have nothing nice to say about it.

Nice is when the other person likes or approves of what you say.

Respectful is when they may disagree with what you say, but they are not offended by what or how you say it.

You would do well to learn the difference.
edit on CWednesdaypm393920f20America/Chicago18 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join