It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WOW! U.S AirForce takes out 1000 targets in one pass!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

In World War II, it could take up to 30,000 bombing runs over a period of weeks to destroy a thousand ground targets. On Monday in North Carolina, the U.S. Air Force’s 4th Fighter Wing hit 1,000 targets in a single sweep, using just 70 or so Boeing F-15E Strike Eagles capable of dropping large numbers of small, smart munitions. Estimated time of destruction: a couple hours.

www.wired.com...

Wow. I wonder what top Iranian, or even Russian or Chinese, Airforce Generals think about this "war-game"?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
This could also be war propaganda.

Empire and the Hollywood War Machine

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Just imagine what could happen when you add in all the cruise missles launched at the same time.

Iran may want to do a little math on this.. US has a LOT more than 70 fighter jets in the area.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jim3981

I have worked in Air Operation Centers and I promise you it is more than possible.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I held a mock bombing run and I took out North Korea and China.

Beat that US Air Force.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
That includes friendlies on the ground too!!..

Yeah we know!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
This is what F-15E were made for.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
You may replace "targets" (what a friendly little word!) with "1% armed enemies, 99% unarmed civilians". Thats more like the truth, I fear.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The F-15/E Strike Eagle is one of the finest combat aircraft ever made. There is a reason that F-16, F-18, F-117 and other aircraft are being phased out but the Eagle remains in service. It simply excels at what it does.

The F-15 (I believe this is still true) as an air superiority fighter has never been shot down in combat. The K/D ratio for the Eagle is, well, infinity.

The F-15/E Strike Eagle version is an amazing strike aircraft and I have no doubt this mission was well within it's capability.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I recently went to Patriots Point in Charleston, SC, seeing these planes close up .. what a marvel.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by sensible thought

Just imagine what could happen when you add in all the cruise missles launched at the same time.

Iran may want to do a little math on this.. US has a LOT more than 70 fighter jets in the area.

Just imagine if they went up against a competent opponent for a change, and actually had to face competent pilots in opposing aircraft in air-air battles...
Just imagine if they had to face SAM's from competent operators...

Iran is nothing. If they go to war against Iran, Irans forces will be decimated and the USAF will be free to bomb whatever it wants.
Throw Syria into the mix and wow. The US will have free reign over a large swath of air space in the Middle East right on Russias southern flank.

Turkey-Syria-Iraq-Iran-Afghanistan.
Look that up on a map. And see where I'm going with this, and why Russia is opposed to a US strike on Iran and Syria.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

Well said, in a hostile environment the bombings are not that easy. Wonder why Libya war took whole 6 months or more, while whole of NATO + US was involved with total air superiority from day 3 or 4.

Vrs Russia or China, it will take few cruise missile with nukes.......... attack to destroy the airbases from which these F-15s/F-16s/F-22s are taking off.

Not that easy!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by BLV12A

Turkey-Syria-Iraq-Iran-Afghanistan. Look that up on a map. And see where I'm going with this, and why Russia is opposed to a US strike on Iran and Syria.

The Grand Encirclement of Russia is in full swing. I do not know what Russians are doing about it. I do not see any real external or internal changes in their policies and planning.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

reply to post by jim3981

I have worked in Air Operation Centers and I promise you it is more than possible.

MetalStorm

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
There are almost 7 billion people in the world... there are 300 million of you... someday those 7 billion will get sick of being told how to live, sick of being bombed and attacked, sick of being your slaves, and weapons will no longer matter...

Maybe you all should think occasionally.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
And this is something to be proud of?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

reply to post by jim3981

I was an F-16 Crew-Chief in the USAF. I concur. When I was at PSAB in Saudi Arabia, we would have F-16's, F-15's and F-18's take off two abreast every 10 seconds for about 20 minutes straight. Literally, hundreds of fighters in the air at one time. This was during operation desert fox in December of 1998. We bombed the living hell out of Iraq during that operation. I think we did this for about 4 days. Anyway, I can guarantee this can happen and is logistically possible.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I mean really, what's the point of going to war anymore? While in some sense, this news is terrifying, in another it does provide some peace of mind.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BLV12A

www.wired.com... think that one talks about such a scenariio the article seemed to say we could pull it off but it would be expensive

The first sign of the coming U.S. air raid was when the enemy radar and air-defense missile sites began exploding. The strikers were Air Force F-22 Raptor stealth fighters, flying unseen and faster than the speed of sound, 50,000 feet over the battlefield. Having emptied their weapons bays of super-accurate, 250-pound Small Diameter Bombs, the Raptors turned to engage enemy jet fighters rising in defense of their battered allies on the ground. That’s when all hell broke loose. As the Raptors smashed the enemy jets with Amraam and Sidewinder missiles, nimble Air Force F-16s swooped in to reinforce the F-22s, launching their own air-to-air missiles and firing guns to add to the aerial carnage. With enemy defenses collapsing, B-1 bombers struck. Several of the 150-ton, swing-wing warplanes, having flown 10 hours from their base in South Dakota, launched radar-evading Jassm cruise missiles that slammed into ground targets, pulverizing them with their 2,000-pound warheads. Its weapons expended, the strike force streaked away. Behind it, the enemy’s planes and ground forces lay in smoking ruin. The devastating air strike on April 4 involved real warplanes launching a mix of real and computer-simulated weapons at mock targets scattered across the U.S. military’s vast Joint Pacific Alaska Range Complex near Fort Yukon, a tiny former fur trading post, population 583. “Operation Chimichanga,” as the exercise was reportedly designated, was the first-ever test of a new Air Force long-range strike team combining upgraded Lockheed Martin F-22s and Boeing B-1s carrying the latest air-launched munitions, along with old-school fighters, tankers and radar planes for support.

and relevent to the op they were useing the same type of munitions as the ops drill the new small diameter bomb wich is what makes this strike possible

www.ausairpower.net...

and links to our new bomber program that will be part drone but with a human pilot for over sight

The Air Force is good at destroying targets half a world away, spying on people for a long period of time and hauling goods vast distances. It’s really, really bad at keeping its planes affordable. Unless that changes, the Air Force’s top officer acknowledges, the Air Force will lose its premiere, desired asset for destroying targets half a world away: its bomber of the future. That new bomber, the Air Force says, should cost $550 million per plane. It’ll be stealthy, capable of carrying nuclear weapons, and half robot — that is, it’ll only be “optionally manned” by a human pilot. Creating it as a replacement for the ancient B-1 and B-2 bombers is one of the Air Force’s top priorities over the next decade. But if the “Long Range Strike Aircraft” costs more than that $550 million estimate, “We don’t get a program,” lamented Gen. Norton Schwartz.

www.wired.com... &utm_campaign=Previous this may be the same bomber as above source but they are calling it the b3 and will evidently be able to control swarms of drones.....

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Vrs Iran or Syria, not one F-22 will be downed. If they are lucky they might get a couple of F15/F16s to blow up. But especially against Iran, that would be it. USAF can take out the nuclear plants, blow up the military related sites but Air Force alone won't be able to change the government or regime.

The retaliation will be asymmetric and will sound off around the world. Too bad, nations which are not involved in any way will have to pay the price in form of higher oil or global recession of sorts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join