It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Qatar Coup Attempt – Report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Qatar Coup Attempt – Report

www.businessinsider.com

Initial reports are coming out of Qatar about an attempt by a military group to overthrow the current ruling elite led by Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani

There is also talk that the leaders were flown to hiding by US forces

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
More instability and revolt in a region already (can we say in perpetual?) state of upheaval.

Of course, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia have been violently repressing civilian demonstrations since the "Arab Spring" movement began, and I imagine this newest situation will be treated somewhat the same way in our mainstream press.

As with these aforementioned regimes, the royal family of Qatar may be extremely harsh and repressive to its populace, but because they supply us with oil, our governments deem it OK to look the other way.

Interesting to note the different stances to regimes such as Egypt, Libya and Syria for very similar reactions to upheaval among their citizenry.

That said, I'm not condoning any violence from any parties, only pointing out the obvious hypocrisy constantly displayed by our governments.

the Billmeister

N.B.
I always nuance the positions of the governments of nations to those of their citizens, because worldwide political appointments have had the tendency to occur with much less that 50% of popular vote in recent history.

www.businessinsider.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 18-4-2012 by Billmeister because: syntax

edit on 18-4-2012 by Billmeister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
And what Al Jazeera has to say about this?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

Nothing from Al-Jazeera so far. Of course, biting the hand that feeds you has never been a good business model.

Here is another source: FARS news agency

The news about the military coup attempt coincided with a statement issued by certain figures in Qatar's ruling family, who oppose the current regime, announcing they do not recognize the legitimacy of Emir Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, while they backed his brother, now exiled in France, Abdul Aziz bin Khalifa Hamad Al-Thani. The statement was signed by 66 opposition figures, including 16 from the ruling Al Thani family. They directed serious charges against the Emir, including the establishment of relations with Israel, total coordination with the United States of America and breaking the Arab ranks. They also claimed his close family members and his wife's family members are involved in cases of corruption and social injustice.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Billmeister

"There is also talk that the leaders were flown to hiding by US forces."
www.forexcrunch.com...

The article doesn't quite specify which leaders flown out; current leaders or coup leaders. I suppose if the coup leaders are willing to cut the US even a sweeter deal for U.S. strategic position opposed to Iran, the U.S. may just back the coup. That would be consistent with past U.S. procedure.

Taking sides in foreign Civil wars, picking factions within ruling families. Talk about meddling in other countries' internal affairs? Yeah, U.S. government policy sure takes the cake!

I always nuance the positions of the governments of nations to those of their citizens, because worldwide political appointments have had the tendency to occur with much less that 50% of popular vote in recent history.

Note taken. Thank you.
edit on 18-4-2012 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It looks like reports of the coup attempt were all fake. Here is a link to a story about the hoax.

However, the dictators in the region have become increasingly vocal in their displeasure with Qatar because of Al Jazeera's support and coverage of the region's popular uprisings. So I wouldn't have been TOO surprised to hear about a military coup in Qatar. Surprised, but not shocked.

Edit: Here is a story showing the timeline of events.
edit on 18-4-2012 by LordOfArcadia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LordOfArcadia

Al Arabiya was created to be a direct competitor of the Qatar-based Al Jazeera.[3] As a response to Al-Jazeera's criticism of the Saudi royal family throughout the 1990s, members of the Saudi royal family established Al-Arabiya in Dubai in 2002.[6]
en.wikipedia.org...

The quick retraction, could be due to "Official Government Position"? I'll keep looking for unfolding story.
Update 4 from your link: regarding supposed hacking by pro-Assad people:

UPDATE 4: Al Arabiya now has a story up saying the article was posted to their website by the Syrian Electronic Army (pro-government hackers).

Why it took almost a day to post that information isn’t addressed. An internet analyst we spoke with also said it would be difficult for hackers to have that much access to Al Arabiya’s content management system unless they had really poor security.

What do you make of all this?
dohanews.co...

So the official story has already morphed from:
1) Report started by tweets from an actual Arabiya reporter.
to
4) Pro-Syria hackers invented it.

Hmmm, veery interesting.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Does this really come as a surprise to anyone, really? Probably being led by Sunni's too i bet, one more push by the muslim brotherhood to unite the ME to restore the Ottoman Empire.

new topics

top topics

join