It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great News Story! - Entire senior class off to college

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
It is not often anyone hears of such great news and this story is probably not making enough headlines in the news but IMO needs to be put out there for all to hear and celebrate. As a mentor, I am pleased to hear this news and I applaud the students and praise the hard work and dedication the teachers and parents put forth to make this happen.

The ENTIRE senior class of 107 students at Chicago's only public all-male, all-African-American high school has been accepted to four-year colleges.

Summary - All students off to college

Full Story

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Wait...a good story? One that can't be beaten up, broken down, and discredited? You are a very brave person to post this here at ATS!!

Great story and glad to see this (sincerely!).

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Wonderful news, these students are not only dedicated but also have dedicated parents and faculty behind them.

This certainly is not the average, wish them all luck, somehow I think they will do great, thanks for posting this story, something like this should be all over the news.

S&F

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Yes. I was very impressed not only with the students but the work of the faculty and the parents for staying behind and supporting the students all the way to graduation.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Everyone in that photo looks about 30...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Maybe a good argument for same sex education. I remember much of my school days were more about hooking up and flirting with girls than the education.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
An entire class about to voluntarily bury themselves under mountains of debt while gaining nothing but theoretical knowledge and no job experience in an economy where job providers demand that experience most of all. If they are lucky enough to get a job with only a college degree when they graduate they will spend much of the rest of their lives trying to pay back the cost of that degree. Until our failed education system is drastically reformed I don't see the point of celebrating another class of wage-slaves.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Exactly. I read somewhere where they said same sex education is far more beneficial especially for boys as they tend to mature at a different rate and time line from girls.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Samsquanch

True to a certain point but please provide a viable model in place of the current education system. Not everyone has the propensity to go into business and be successful for himself/herself.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Perhaps my views are a little skewered since I've become progressively more disillusioned with higher education since going off to college three years ago but every class I'm in, I sit surrounded by students with no grasp about what the real world is all about and listen to professors who are too wrapped up in there egos and their little academic world that they are either unable to or unwilling to properly prepare these kids for what is to come.

Now since I refuse to be a debt slave for the rest of my life, I also work a full-time job in order to pay for my exorbitant tuition. The lower ranks of the company are filled with people with bachelor's and master's degrees who make little more than minimum wage and aren't able to advance because of a lack of job experience. These people live at just above the poverty line and make the same as someone who's just graduated high school but they also have to contend with hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt. They are trapped with no way out in site and live an incredibly depressing existence.

Lately I've been favoring technical institutes as a means of continuing my education and furthering my career goals. The more reputable schools are able to secure grants and federal loans for you and the tuition for an entire two year course is equal to a year or even a few semesters at a traditional university. Your not forced to take any unnecessary classes and come out with actual hands-on experience. Most even do job placement. With the cost of school and today's job market, unless you're getting a specialized degree and not something like liberal arts or political science, college just isn't worth it anymore. Kids are better off spending those four years acquiring work experience, building a resume, and avoiding going into debt at all costs.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Samsquanch
An entire class about to voluntarily bury themselves under mountains of debt while gaining nothing but theoretical knowledge and no job experience in an economy where job providers demand that experience most of all. If they are lucky enough to get a job with only a college degree when they graduate they will spend much of the rest of their lives trying to pay back the cost of that degree. Until our failed education system is drastically reformed I don't see the point of celebrating another class of wage-slaves.

BINGO! A star for You! Higher education is a scam...hell pretty much the whole friggin society/ culture is a scam, a rackett, a Ponzi scheme designed to enrich a very, very select few at the expense of the many. Wage slaves? aint that the truth!

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Samsquanch

With the cost of school and today's job market, unless you're getting a specialized degree and not something like liberal arts or political science, college just isn't worth it anymore. Kids are better off spending those four years acquiring work experience, building a resume, and avoiding going into debt at all costs.

I can't agree with you more. The college administrators and big companies are making a killing with the high tuition costs and even some of my higher earning friends can't come to grips with the exorbitant costs they have to shell out to get their kids through college. It is indeed a racket of massive proportions.

top topics

join