It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan Lotto Winner Charged With Welfare Fraud

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Of course, we have had previous threads on ATS about the discovery of this person who continued to take benefits from the State after winning a $1 million prize in a lottery.

But, apparently, her greed has finally caught up with her.

A Michigan woman who continued to get food stamps after winning a lottery jackpot was arraigned Tuesday on welfare fraud charges.

Amanda Clayton, 25, of Lincoln Park was arrested on Monday. If convicted of the two felony charges, she could face up to four years in prison.

finance.yahoo.com...

Personally, I think jail terms are not always called for in cases such as this. A criminal record for fraud...ok. A fine equal to maybe ten times what she took after she won...ok too. Community service...including speeches to young people about what it means to be a good citizen...absolutely.

This was person who was habitually (of necessity?) on public assistance. She can now be her own person...send her that message strongly.

But prison? To what end?
edit on 18-4-2012 by mobiusmale because: forgot the link...oops.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mobiusmale

Got a link to the article?

Without seeing the details,

My thoughts would be to remove her from the welfare roles, and fine her for the amount she received fraudulently and add some community service time or probation..

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Oh I was SO happy to see this. I hope she gets the few years in prison they are saying she may face. Good Good Good. I am SURE the prison population will be very understanding.
Oh Yes... I heard her say how she thought it was legal because, well, she wasn't working huh? Yeah.. Well.. Millionaires don't necessarily have to work, but she figures food stamps are for her?

Oh prison will be so much fun for her. They are all so kind and gentle to princesses who can win the lottery and still rape the system like a professional loser. I haven't known criminals to respect this level of scum...they enjoy them (evil grin) but it isn't a respectful kind of play.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
It's about time she got into trouble. This "girl" is despicable, to say the least.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
From what I remember of the case...she also owns 2 homes. She used that as part of her excuse for staying on welfare...so she could make her mortgage payments......

Hope she gets more than a slap on the wrists....plus, her own Mother in an interview claimed her daughter did have a job.

Guess she didn't give Mommy any of her winnings....

Des

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Gov. Schneider must have signed the bill?
Because up until then, this wasn't illegal in MI.
Should have been of course, but wasn't.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
Gov. Schneider must have signed the bill?
Because up until then, this wasn't illegal in MI.
Should have been of course, but wasn't.

About time too. From the news story I saw this morning, she is being charged for collecting over $5,000 in food stamps, and also used government paid medical services since her big win.

She's an idiot, and a thief.....

Des

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I saw a story about a guy in new york who was still getting his food stamp allotment each month after he won the lotto because it was legal, so he didn't stop, and the state couldn't do anything about it.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

What is crazy is that the reason this bill was pushed, was because a former lottery winner was still eligible for food stamps, and he could not believe it, so he actually started the fight to stop it.
We had a big write up in a local paper about it when it happened. (with him)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom

What is crazy is that the reason this bill was pushed, was because a former lottery winner was still eligible for food stamps, and he could not believe it, so he actually started the fight to stop it.
We had a big write up in a local paper about it when it happened. (with him)

Now, instead of doing the right thing in the first place...she'll be spending her winnings on a team of land sharks to defend her.

Karma's a beotch....

Des

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I don't know if she's a habitual or first-time offender (I did read the article but it was vague) but if it's the latter, then your idea of punishment makes sense.

Of course, anyone with half a brain should know that it's not kosher to stay on public assistance when you've won a lot of money.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
She won't go to prison.

But they will take most of the lottery money in fines and probation fees and rehabilitation classes...

Michigan Gov is all about the money. Costs them money to put people in prison. Better to shake them down and take what money they have.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
While what she did was ethically wrong. It does bring into question whether this is just a case of political grandstanding. As far as I can tell lotto winner or not she would still be qualified for not having a job with a stable income. Really the only punishment she should face is some community service preferably dealing with the homeless, probation for the amount of time required to complete the community service and returning double the amount of assistance she continued to get. No need to tie up the court or jail with non violent stupidity.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mobiusmale
Personally, I think jail terms are not always called for in cases such as this. A criminal record for fraud...ok. A fine equal to maybe ten times what she took after she won...ok too. Community service...including speeches to young people about what it means to be a good citizen...absolutely.

I certainly disgaree with your choice of community service; but, can suggest a suitable alternative. I do agree the taxpayer should not have to support her (non-violent offender) another four years in a prison.

I disagree with having an unethical, bad citizen giving ethics or good citizenship speeches to young people. The audience is surely not stupid and would detect the insincerity which makes a mockery of the whole process.

A better alternative is community gardening for food pantries. Houston's Judge Poe (now a US legislator I think) sentenced people to community service in vegetable gardens where the produce goes to food banks, drug-addiction rehabilitation facilities, homeless shelters, and halfway houses for the mentally ill and handicapped.

This would teach her to WORK and it would teach her how there REALLY are people who are in DIRE need of food and other services that she was milking in her own lack of moral character. She'd get to meet the poor people she was robbing, face-to-face.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Before resources are being spent after a poor sap who got lucky and got a few thousand extra, how about the very real issue of insider trading legal and illegal bribery within congress is tackled? Surely that would affect more peoples lives.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
While what she did was ethically wrong. It does bring into question whether this is just a case of political grandstanding. As far as I can tell lotto winner or not she would still be qualified for not having a job with a stable income. Really the only punishment she should face is some community service preferably dealing with the homeless, probation for the amount of time required to complete the community service and returning double the amount of assistance she continued to get. No need to tie up the court or jail with non violent stupidity.

What about the fact she, in an interview seen on tv, stated she still needed the free social services, after winning one million dollars, to help her make her mortgage payments on the TWO homes she owned.....sheesh...

Also, her own mother in a televised interview, claimed her daughter did have a job, and was lying about it.

I have zero sympathy for this liar and thief.

Des

edit on 21-4-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Just because she thinks she needs them isn't an issue that matter has been decided for her. There is nothing to be gained by dragging her through the legal system and driving her broke. Let her work with the homeless pay some reparations with interest and be done with it. Anything more than that simplicity would have her back on the taxpayer dime. Hell id even throw in making her take an ethics class but anything more is a waste of resources. I don't like what she did, but we would need alot more prisons if we start jailing people for the ridiculous things they think they need.

And just ask yourself this. Is it really worth creating a felon for this when there are other options that won't ensure perpetual need of public assistance?

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
A very tragic end to this story...

Police say a Detroit-area woman who collected welfare benefits despite winning a $735,000 lottery prize has died of a possible drug overdose.

www.foxnews.com...

I suppose this just adds to the list of people who have won lotteries of one kind or another, only to have their dreams of living the good life afterward shattered by circumstance or personal error.

Here's hoping your real rewards are waiting for you in heaven Amanda...RIP.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
What is it with Americans who foam at the mouth and break out the pitchforks every time there is vengeance in the air? Just because she took a little extra money doesn't mean you need to jail her and throw away the key. Have some common sense people, not everything is about satisfying your own bloodlust.

America is a nation hell-bent on revenge, sadly - a far cry from the great nation it once was.

new topics

top topics

join