It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swedish minister criticized over 'genital mutilation cake'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel
reply to post by blackreign2012

Fair enough. I'm ignorant because I'm not obsessed or acknowledged the color / race of the cake. Guilty.

Ostrich Politics, do you even know what that is? That and your argument holds no water because you make it look like some of us are obsessed with something you cannot even understand since you haven't studied psychology or history to the point that some have. It's not the color or race of the cake since there is only ONE(1) race(how you see a different race while calling us racists is something that leaves me awe struck).

It's the FACE. Go read some history and see where that face comes from, who invented it and applied it. If you're done with that and you really want to expand your awareness go read why the hell Mickey Mouse wears white gloves and stand in awe at the racist, mass programming that has been going on. Sure, if you don't know then nobody can blame you and you live in bliss. But don't tell others who aren't cowards and who do research and speak out, that they are wrong about something you are completely ignorant of. DENY IGNORANCE is the motto here on this website, so you'll have a tough time posting. Unless you like the support of the resident racists on the website...go look at the post history of some of the people here, if you dare that is.

Your a very funny character, I've come across a few people with views like yours in my lifetime.

I've never heard of Ostrich Politics, thanks you gave me something to Google tonight. I assume it has something to do with race or hate. So you want me to do some research in history to find reasons to get "mad"? I acknowledge the racism in the past, nice, moving forward, how productive is it to dwell in the past?

I don't want or need the support of you or anyone. I am expressing my views as you are. I could give a damn about this subject as it's not that deep to me. I'd rather be in the "UFO's" or the "Creationists" threads actually ... but I was suckered in by a racist who's stuck in the past.

This is why I said I didn't want a debate. When you argue with fools from a distance you can't tell who's who.

edit on 18-4-2012 by blackreign2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
"mass programming that has been going on. Sure, if you don't know then nobody can blame you and you live in bliss."

If I don't know then how can I be programmed? You obviously did a lot of research and dug up a lot of history.

Are you not programmed? Did you not program yourself to think the way you do?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This particular artist is black/mixed himself so i don't see the black head as mocking black people.
He is famous for all kind of artistic input on female circumcision and this one is in my opinion done in bad taste (pun intended)
It's just one big fat art FAIL.
If i was there i wouldn't cut the cake, not only because it's a stupid idea but also not to give that madman the satisfaction of screeching in my face.

Which would leave me cakeless
and i love cake so it's a good thing i wasn't invited.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

You appear to not be American, so this is what the term "black face" means

edit on 18-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

Originally posted by blackreign2012

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this on ATS, so just passing it along.

I am a fan of art, especially strange art and am African American myself. I see no problem here and in a sick way find it amusing.

I'm not sure how this is considered racist ... maybe more cannibalistic then anything.

[url=http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/17/11251375-swedish-minister-criticized-over-genital-mutilation-cake?lite]worldnews.msnbc.msn.com[/u rl]
(visit the link for the full news article)

You're not? Okay, I'm black as well, so it's sad that I have to explain this to you.

This wasn't a cake in the shape of a naked black woman. This was a cake, in the shape of a parody black woman. A black face character which has always been used as a racist depiction for black people...

you sadden me...

And your response is why so many people who haven't an ounce of racism in them are getting very tired of the race card played at every opportunity. Are you ready for this, are you sitting down, I'm going to shout to make damn sure everybody understands :

THE PERSON WHO MADE THE CAKE WAS A BLACK MAN WHO MADE THE FACE IN HIS OWN IMAGE.

This is right up there with a play in England cancelled due to complaints from sikhs about racism......the play was written by a sikh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThisToiletEarth

Originally posted by BlueFoxToo
I'm curious what your position is on this, especially seeing your user name and avatar of a black man holding a white skinned mans skull.

Calling a cartoon illustration of a character that appears to be blue a "black man" is just silly. Poor argument.
And how do you know it's a white mans skull?

Huh? Poor Argument? What Argument? I wasn't making an "argument" I was asking a question. Period.

The users name is black reign.

reign (rn)
n.
1. Exercise of sovereign power, as by a monarch.
2. The period during which a monarch rules.
3. Dominance or widespread influence.
intr.v. reigned, reign·ing, reigns
1. To exercise sovereign power.
2. To hold the title of monarch, but with limited authority.
3. To be predominant or prevalent

The avatar appears to me to be a negro in war paint holding a decidedly lighter long haired (european) skull in his hand. And, "racism" came up early on in the topic. The username, the avatar, the comments, made me wonder about the intent. I don't "know" which is why I asked. I recieved no answer.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I think that this thread, and argument over blackface effectively demonstrates that the cake was a failure on ALL levels.

A black person made this cake. That very same black person dressed himself up in blackface and mocked women being mutliated....and all this is being summarily passed over by some people. It's amazing. That people then pointed out that this black person is a "light skinned" black person is even more amazing. I guess he's a "white black", just like Zimmerman is a white hispanic....

Apparently "blackface" isn't as taboo in some countries as it is in others. When an American Idol judge went to Australia to judge a talent show, several of the acts were people in blackface doing Michael Jackson songs. The judge was apalled and it became an incident which was reported on. Here in America the book "little black sambo" is banned from libraries due to the racial epithets. But the fact that blackface wasn't the issue this cake was pointing to, just drives home how idiotic it was on all levels.

edit on 18-4-2012 by BlueFoxToo because: added a line.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

I saw this on another site and I don't get it either.

Art is supposed to challenge. If it had been created by a white supremacist then, yes, there would be reason for outrage.

The artist is black, he has stated what it was about - concisely.

The politician went along with this to highlight an important issue.

With everything that is wrong in the world, the idea that the artist (who, I remind you, is of African heritage himself) and the well-meaning politician are being accosted is an overreaction in the extreme.

I think people need to grow up and pick their fights more wisely. Stop attacking everything you don't understand because someone tells you there's something "wrong" about it or that you should feel insulted.

And, using the logic people are using, surely every black rapper or comedian who used the "n word" deserves the same attack?

Yeah, good luck with that.

I also find it quite interesting that this story, which is about genital mutilation, is making the rounds in America - the home of male genital mutilation which is carried out on a daily basis.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
That's got to be one of the sickest damned things I've seen in a long, LONG time. Would someone do that if it were a guy being circumcised? How about a full on castration? Would it be just as funny? How about some squirting strawberry flavored goo for blood, that would really be cool... please keep in mind that is sarcasm, folks. The twit that did this needs to experience the pleasures of the blade on his own private regions, then he can do a better acting job in his next gig. If I met this idiot on the street I'd slap him into next week. This has nothing to do with race, all to do with the cruelty done to women on a daily, no HOURLY basis in a backwards, ignorant society that has obviously outlived its collective usefulness in the world. They have been educated against this practice and so many more and yet they stick to it- therefore, they are no longer viable as a developing part of the world.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by blackreign2012

Im not sure if offended or disturbed..

But seriously, wtf?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I also find it quite interesting that this story, which is about genital mutilation, is making the rounds in America - the home of male genital mutilation which is carried out on a daily basis.

You bring up MALE circumcision as if it's in the same league as female circumcision. Female circumcision means the clitoris is cut off. How that even remotely compares to a piece of foreskin in your universe, I can't grasp.

The misinformed and ignorant are starting to disturb me -.-'

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this on ATS, so just passing it along.

I am a fan of art, especially strange art and am African American myself. I see no problem here and in a sick way find it amusing.

I'm not sure how this is considered racist ... maybe more cannibalistic then anything.

[url=http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/17/11251375-swedish-minister-criticized-over-genital-mutilation-cake?lite]worldnews.msnbc.msn.com[/u rl]

You're not? Okay, I'm black as well, so it's sad that I have to explain this to you.

This wasn't a cake in the shape of a naked black woman. This was a cake, in the shape of a parody black woman. A black face character which has always been used as a racist depiction for black people...

you sadden me...

So it's ok for Keen and Peel or any other black person to wear white face today, but it's totaly wrong the other way around? That's like having your cake and eating it too. No pun...

Who cares! That's what's wrong with this world.. too many people holding onto racial issues as a vice and screaming RACISM at every turn, but yet it's totaly fine when a black person/comedian does it to whites or any other race.. That's friggin idiocy.

That's what pisses me off the most is the fact that there is PREJUDICE on all sides, yet it's only racism if it's white vs black.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I am a fan of art, especially strange art and am African American myself. I don't see a problem here and in a sick way find it amusing.

I'm not sure how this is considered racist ... maybe more cannibalistic than anything.

Hats off to you, sir!

You are the kind of "black person" I would enjoy the company of. One who doesnt look at everything and thinks its racism. We all understand, or at least have the capability to, that there "may" be barriers, but to look past them and find humor, that, my friend, is the character of a true human being. To be able to laugh at something without considering it racist at every turn is what people today need to step up to.

Again, my hat is off to you.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

You bring up MALE circumcision as if it's in the same league as female circumcision. Female circumcision means the clitoris is cut off. How that even remotely compares to a piece of foreskin in your universe, I can't grasp.

The misinformed and ignorant are starting to disturb me -.-'

I've studied this practice and what it does for several years. If you'd like to debate me on the scientific facts relating to desensitization, the fiction of "genital cancer" and cleanliness, and the ignorance of the American public which somehow justifies genital mutilation for nothing more than fashion, I'm more than happy to educate you

I would suggest you look into your own anatomy, and what has been removed, a little more before you start to call out someone who clearly knows more about it than you do.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

Tribal africans wear face paint, not black face....

So now black face is racist? As far as I know, africans tend to be... black.

I can't believe you even tried.....

Do you know what black face is? For Gods sake go read something before you hop in a debate.

Oh wait.. You mean a white/hispanic/other race dressing up and playing the role of a black man? How is that racist? Oh... I'm guessing you're refering to the idea that blacks didnt really have roles in movies due to their producers or whatever, so the guy actually playing the role MUST be racists because he dressed up in black face..

No???

Then please... Enlighten us. Why is blackface racist? I'm ready for my history lesson.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

First things first...but...I have to
at:

I've studied this practice and what it does for several years.

Okay but seriously for a second...lol...

I would suggest you look into your own anatomy, and what has been removed, a little more before you start to call out someone who clearly knows more about it than you do.

Not only are you telling us how knowledgeable you are but...you are telling me...that a clitoris, anatomically speaking, is comparable to foreskin???

You sir, are smoking something.

On Topic:

The minister already apologized. Obviously she knew she was doing something messed up. Now the rest of you lemmings need to follow.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

Then please... Enlighten us. Why is blackface racist? I'm ready for my history lesson.

This website just keeps sinking and sinking...by GOD man, are you serious?!! No, that's it, I'm out of this thread...too much ignorance.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

This website just keeps sinking and sinking...by GOD man, are you serious?!! No, that's it, I'm out of this thread...too much ignorance.

Yes Im serious. I want to hear his/her point of view as to why it's racist.

You can show me proof of racial issues with some yet not with all, so I want to know what makes it as a WHOLE, racist.

If someone poisons your coffee, does that make all coffee poisonous?

If you have a lil urine in your cornflakes, it might stop you from ever eatting cornflakes again, but does that mean that all cornflakes have been pissed on?

seriously... if this sorta thing bothers you, ATS may not be for you...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Black face has historic racist roots. It wasn't just putting on make up to imitate a black person, it was dressing up as some gross stereotypical representation of blacks. Huge white lips, charcoal black paint, raggety hair, usually portrayed as unintelligent, horrible English, and primitive.

black-face.com...

Chapelle did a skit about it, is it racist? No. It's all about context.
Was the skit offensive to some people? I'm sure it was.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I'm pretty male genital mutilation is a much more prevalent thing that occurs than female genital mutilation.

Just my two cents.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join