It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Swedish minister criticized over 'genital mutilation cake'

page: 2
4
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
Those who want to see racism will see it everywhere. I dont see it here. So there is a stylised depiction of an African tribe member, what is racist about that? They wear make-up as far as I know, and I think the face highlights the pain of the procedure. Please concentrate on real racism instead of imagined one.

As for the performance itself, it is shocking, but that is because the practice itself is shocking. In drawing the attention to the issue, this serves well, so mission accomplished anyway.


Tribal africans wear face paint, not black face....

WORLDS of difference...







I can't believe you even tried.....
edit on 18-4-2012 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-4-2012 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)




posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine
 





Tribal africans wear face paint, not black face....


So now black face is racist? As far as I know, africans tend to be... black.




I can't believe you even tried.....





posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine
 


The picture you posted is of a white guy blacking up - that is an entirely different scenario to the one regarding this incident in Sweden.

I actually also do not have a problem with people blacking up and with black people whiting up (i have seen that before and things like this have to work both ways). By this i mean that i would no problem with a normal white guy going to , say, a fancy dress party dressed as Michael Jordan complete with make up. I would have a problem with it though if said white guy hated people from other races / religions, etc. In other words, for me, it is about context.

However, i also realise that many on here probably wouldn't agree with that.



posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine
 





Tribal africans wear face paint, not black face....


So now black face is racist? As far as I know, africans tend to be... black.




I can't believe you even tried.....




Do you know what black face is? For Gods sake go read something before you hop in a debate.



posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine
 


The picture you posted is of a white guy blacking up - that is an entirely different scenario to the one regarding this incident in Sweden.

I actually also do not have a problem with people blacking up and with black people whiting up (i have seen that before and things like this have to work both ways). By this i mean that i would no problem with a normal white guy going to , say, a fancy dress party dressed as Michael Jordan complete with make up. I would have a problem with it though if said white guy hated people from other races / religions, etc. In other words, for me, it is about context.

However, i also realise that many on here probably wouldn't agree with that.


Never have I met any black people (including myself) who see black face as something acceptable. It was never meant to be "fun loving bridge building". It was used to make further mockery of the black community.

Ever watched an old TV show where the white star put on black face and began acting like a buffoon? come on..



posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
This cake looks wonderfully delicious.
You humans are so funny. Always finding the outrage in other peoples doings more than your own.

Cut me up a slice of that cake...Dammmm it looks good.



posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueFoxToo
I'm curious what your position is on this, especially seeing your user name and avatar of a black man holding a white skinned mans skull.


Calling a cartoon illustration of a character that appears to be blue a "black man" is just silly. Poor argument.
And how do you know it's a white mans skull?



posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
Ever watched an old TV show where the white star put on black face and began acting like a buffoon? come on..


"It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" did it in their version of Lethal Weapon 5 after Mac and Dennis switch parts of Danny Glover. Quite funny.




posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Did any of you note some of the replies in the Daily Mail over this?
My favourite has to be "Right now imagine how your child feels when you hack up his birthday Shrek cake".


Much ado about nothing though, it's a cake.
I expect, no I demand, ATS staff one day get to chow down on a real looking Alien cake, all dressed as surgeons.

Surprised no ones said save me a slice of boob.
edit on 18-4-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine
 


I just think there are more serious issues to contend with and that people need to lighten up. I may be in the minority with this view but that is genuinely how i feel.

Like i said earlier, for me it is about context. If people are "blacking up" to cause offence, then yes that is wrong. If people are blacking up for a laugh though, what is the problem? I really see it as no different to someone deciding they want to dress as a banana or an elephant or whatever.

Personally, i have spent a day (a while ago now) walking round town dressed as a giant daffodil - should i have been arrested for a hate crime against Welsh people?

Like i keep saying, context is everything. At uni, a black mate went to a fancy dress party dressed as Winston Churchill, complete with old white guy face paint. That wasn't wrong to me but how about to you? And if not, why? (what would be the difference?).

And before i get totally flamed, let me be clear that i completely abhor racism, whichever direction it happens to be going.



posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueFoxToo
reply to post by blackreign2012
 


I'm curious what your position is on this, especially seeing your user name and avatar of a black man holding a white skinned mans skull.


My position is I'm not offended because I'm not racist in nature. I just see people eating a person. My name comes from the color black being my favorite color, reign is just a play on words, and the mutant Apocalypse is holding the skull of Dracula. He believes in Survival of the Fittest, which I believe in.

My name and character has nothing to due with race, just my belief in how nature / this world works.
edit on 18-4-2012 by blackreign2012 because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackreign2012

Originally posted by BlueFoxToo
reply to post by blackreign2012
 


I'm curious what your position is on this, especially seeing your user name and avatar of a black man holding a white skinned mans skull.


My position is I'm not offended because I'm not racist in nature. I just see people eating a person. My name comes from the color black being my favorite color, reign is just a play on words, and the mutant Apocalypse is holding the skull of Dracula. He believes in Survival of the Fittest, which I believe in.

My name and character has nothing to due with race, just my belief in how nature works.
edit on 18-4-2012 by blackreign2012 because: (no reason given)


how does not being racist negate you being offended????

ETA: you know what, just never mind.....
edit on 18-4-2012 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine
 


It's best not to argue with these racists. They simply do not understand.

They never read about those times. They don't have the intellectual capacity to comprehend matters that challenge their thinking. It will take them YEARS upon YEARS of practice, and that is if they are lucky, to change their way of thinking - even a little. They don't understand there is room for progress, but most of all, their racism was fed to them by their parents in most cases - which is evidence of their ignorance. They will face themselves inevitably, the sooner the better(for themselves).

I've been fighting racism as long as I can remember, racism against myself(middle-eastern) and racism against others...it's very tough but a very educating experience. I remember though, that as I was a kid, I faced a lot of racism and discrimination.

As I grew up and started making friends one thing that struck me was...no matter how much discrimination I'd encountered, it couldn't be compared to that experienced by people with darker skin hues than myself.

It's insane! It's everywhere! It's retarded! People who are discriminated against; like arabs and middle easterners, predominantly the religious ones, ie. Muslims(just as a lot of racism amongst whites can be found in religious circles), do not shy to do the same towards people with a darker skin hue. It's insanity in the literal and figurative sense.

With every year passing, it gets clearer and clearer to me: These people are sick in the head. They're simply not okay. I can only pray that God has mercy on their souls because for their duration on this planet, they will always be imprisoned within their own minds, visible to those who have no bars around their brain...and after this life, they will face their judgement. Of that I am sure.



posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
how does not being racist negate you being offended????

ETA: you know what, just never mind.....
edit on 18-4-2012 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)



Now it is you who wish to NOT debate.. Cowardly...

Remember this?


Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
So you posted just so you could be the first to post it, but weren't interested in having your standpoint debated?


Hypocrite.



posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueFoxToo
 


I thought female circumcision was genital mutilation. Is it not? Especially in poor places, with unclean tools and brutal cuts that can cause infection next to the obvious mutilation of the genitals.



posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
"how does not being racist negate you being offended????"

The only way someone could be offended by something that's racist is if they are racist themselves. That's my hypothesis and I'm sticking to it. I've been called the "N" word by a kid in school, it bothered the coach who heard the kid in school more than it bothered me. At the time I had no idea what he was talking about, and had to find out later.

I grew up with friends who were racist and blamed other people for their problems. I can understand if older people grew up with a chip on their shoulder, get over it. In order to progress / get rid of racism it starts with both sides.

If you see Caucasian people cutting into an African American or African then your racist.

All I see is people being cannibals and eating a person. That's why I said I'm not racist so I wasn't offended.
edit on 18-4-2012 by blackreign2012 because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by blackreign2012
 



The only way someone could be offended by something that's racist is if they are racist themselves.




You can ignore what is being said and what the intention and the source of something that is said is. But "if you are offended by racism it is because you're a racist"...that's one of the biggest pile of nonsense I've heard. Ostrich politics comes to mind.


That's my hypothesis and I'm sticking to it. I've been called the "N" word by a kid in school, it bothered the coach who heard the kid in school more than it bothered me.


If that's the only kind of discrimination you've faced then you are lucky. Pray to god you can stay ignorant for the duration of your life.

edit on 18-4-2012 by InfoKartel because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel
reply to post by blackreign2012
 



The only way someone could be offended by something that's racist is if they are racist themselves.




You can ignore what is being said and what the intention and the source of something that is said is. But "if you are offended by racism it is because you're a racist"...that's one of the biggest pile of nonsense I've heard. Ostrich politics comes to mind.


That's my hypothesis and I'm sticking to it. I've been called the "N" word by a kid in school, it bothered the coach who heard the kid in school more than it bothered me.


If that's the only kind of discrimination you've faced then you are lucky. Pray to god you can stay ignorant for the duration of your life.

edit on 18-4-2012 by InfoKartel because: (no reason given)


Fair enough. I'm ignorant because I'm not obsessed or acknowledged the color / race of the cake. Guilty.



posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Seems to me people who are racist are because they a) had a bad experience in there life, b) was brainwashed by their parents, or c) maybe a defect. Don't know don't care (more ignorance on my behalf).

So if an person is displaying racism / ignorant behaviors towards me, I don't see where they're coming from so I can't compute.
edit on 18-4-2012 by blackreign2012 because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by blackreign2012
 



Fair enough. I'm ignorant because I'm not obsessed or acknowledged the color / race of the cake. Guilty.


Ostrich Politics, do you even know what that is? That and your argument holds no water because you make it look like some of us are obsessed with something you cannot even understand since you haven't studied psychology or history to the point that some have. It's not the color or race of the cake since there is only ONE(1) race(how you see a different race while calling us racists is something that leaves me awe struck).

It's the FACE. Go read some history and see where that face comes from, who invented it and applied it. If you're done with that and you really want to expand your awareness go read why the hell Mickey Mouse wears white gloves and stand in awe at the racist, mass programming that has been going on. Sure, if you don't know then nobody can blame you and you live in bliss. But don't tell others who aren't cowards and who do research and speak out, that they are wrong about something you are completely ignorant of. DENY IGNORANCE is the motto here on this website, so you'll have a tough time posting. Unless you like the support of the resident racists on the website...go look at the post history of some of the people here, if you dare that is.



new topics

top topics



 
4
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join